The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Talexe
Bah, me too - I sometimes find myself just skipping over slides to get to the end of it. Plus I have a humanities essay to write! I'm not letting it worry me too much, though; it'll be interesting to see how I do!

haha yeah, same - i always seem to look at how many slides left in the lecture like 10 times lol. How much have you managed to cover?
Reply 8061
Original post by gozatron
One day left to cram all the Sociology, Psychology, Ethics, Law and Public heath i can.

You revise sociology?
Original post by Phryx

Original post by Phryx
You revise sociology?

Definitions :frown:
Original post by digitalis
Doing 6 days when I was there, 1 in 3/4 call depending on who you were with.

Did you do your elective in America? I'd quite like to work there, but have heard horror stories so am being diverted to Canada instead! :tongue:
Original post by carcinoma
Iv been back four days and I have to learn the anatomy of the spine and back, structure and function of thyroid, half of metabolism, all aboout obesity, appetite control/body mass homeostasis and lower back pain including all the management.

By monday, and I have an exam on Wednesday.

Good luck with that. I have 10 pages of syllabus to learn by thurs pm/fri morning. Earlier this week I was worried. Now I've had a couple of glasses of wine I'm feeling quite chill about the whole thing. haha
Original post by rainbowbex
Did you do your elective in America? I'd quite like to work there, but have heard horror stories so am being diverted to Canada instead! :tongue:

Did a 4 week SSC there and off to do my elective there.

Loved it, was medicine on crack. Posted lots about it, won't repeat it for the sake of the other TSRers! :biggrin:
Did a 4 week SSC there and off to do my elective there.

Loved it, was medicine on crack. Posted lots about it, won't repeat it for the sake of the other TSRers! :biggrin:

Sounds awesome. haha, I'll see if I can track down your posts then! Electives are a while away for me yet, but my halfway dinner is next week! :O
Original post by Helenia
You use sterile gloves to cannulate?

Yes? :s-smilie:
My ear is messed up from the flight :frown:. I had a cold so my eustachian tube must have been blocked and now I can't get my right ear to "pop". I can't hear **** all through it and I've tried all the standard yawning/swallowing/valsalva thing. I have a 9am tomorrow only have ~1 hour break. Is it worth me going to the walk in clinic about it? I'm not registered with the GP down here.
Original post by Isometrix
Yes? :s-smilie:

Like the surgical ones that come in packets?
Like the surgical ones that come in packets?

Sounds like those yeah.
Sounds like those yeah.

Why? That sounds horrendously expensive...
Original post by RollerBall
My ear is messed up from the flight :frown:. I had a cold so my eustachian tube must have been blocked and now I can't get my right ear to "pop". I can't hear **** all through it and I've tried all the standard yawning/swallowing/valsalva thing. I have a 9am tomorrow only have ~1 hour break. Is it worth me going to the walk in clinic about it? I'm not registered with the GP down here.

This is probably useless advice as it is just from my experience, not anything medical, but I get that a lot after I fly, and it usually goes after a day or two. You might have an uncomfortable night waking up when your ears pop a bit, maybe even two uncomfortable days/nights, but it has always gone away eventually for me. I do sympathise though, it really sucks doesn't it!

I am having a bad day today. Boring intercalation applications to finish, essays due Monday and Friday, progress test on Wednesday that I haven't revised for because last week we had a poster and a presentation. And competency on Tuesday and another presentation on Thursday. Also haven't filled in my logbook for weeks. I am hoping I can start on the logbook and that will sort of work as revision too, not going to think about the rest of it! Argh I hate 4th year!!
Sounds like those yeah.

No need mate. Can just use the cheapo ones from the boxes, just make sure to clean the site well with one of the wipes or the sponge things.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Why? That sounds horrendously expensive...

Not sure if they're sterilised or not but they do come in their own packet :s-smilie:

No need mate. Can just use the cheapo ones from the boxes, just make sure to clean the site well with one of the wipes or the sponge things.

Leave me alone, I was just doing what I was told :frown:
Not sure if they're sterilised or not but they do come in their own packet :s-smilie:

Keep doing it for your OSCEs, and if any hospital you work in insists on it (I am only aware of one that does). It seems like a massive waste of money on sterile packs though, especially if you fail a couple of times...

I do always use gloves for cannulation and venepuncture (though plenty of my seniors don't) but if you use proper technique there's no need for sterile ones. The gloves are more to protect you from the patient than anything else.

I never use sterile gloves - i do when doing catheterisation. Well the whole once ive done it on a real person.
If thats what you have been told then keep on doing it. I started to get sloppy and not use gloves - its so much easier.

Im not looking forward to tomorrow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
I do always use gloves for cannulation and venepuncture (though plenty of my seniors don't) but if you use proper technique there's no need for sterile ones. The gloves are more to protect you from the patient than anything else.

Though copying your seniors isn't always the best thing. Plenty of mine stick needles into vacutainers and all I can see in my head is 'needlestick injury' and makes me cringe.

I got this for Xmas and thought I'd share :biggrin:
Original post by Lantana
Though copying your seniors isn't always the best thing. Plenty of mine stick needles into vacutainers and all I can see in my head is 'needlestick injury' and makes me cringe.

Oh yes, lots of people use techniques you really shouldn't follow, but sterile gloves for cannulation seems like overkill, plus it's even more pointless unless you also use a sterile pack and do everything aseptically.

I do use needles for vacutainers though; if you're bleeding a difficult patient from a fragile vein the vacuum is too strong if you apply them directly and will just collapse the vein, so a syringe is the only way. If you're not an idiot, there are techniques to avoid getting needlesticks.

Latest

Trending

Trending