The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alnov
i wouldn't say 2/3rds if you look at the lse thread/econ thread from last year quite a few people got them after xmas.

yea well 'quite a few' got them before too, as I said, I already know 15 myself, and think about the proportion of LSE offer holders who use TSR... it might not be 2/3rds, but its probably at least 1/2... I hope you're right too, but I don't think its likely
Reply 7141
Original post by lordvulture
well i think its safe to say that LSE gives out under 300 offers, and i myself know about 15 people who's got it... (including TSR of course), but still its difficult to imagine that I know more than a tenth of the people who's got offers...

And also from what I heard from LSE peple 2/3rds of them got offers before Xmas

If you know 15 people then that means roughly 150 offers have been made right (I think the tsr population is about 10% of total population) ? that is 1/3 of all offers.

What you said about 2/3rds of offers being given before xmas might be true for previous years but this year LSE is definitely being very slow with admissions, just compare last years thread with this one.
Reply 7142
you're the one doing it wrong, I should be the one saying 'oh dear'... here's the explanation , see if you can get it now...

I know 15 people, so if 150 offers have already been given out, I know 10% of the offer holders. What I am saying is that I am unlikely to know more than 10% of the offer holders, therefore the actual number of offers is greater than 150... even if you assume 2.5 offers per place, its still at least 1/3rd of the offers gone (probably closer to 1/2 or even over that)

The tsr population is assumed to be 10% alone.
Well Warwick gave out 1200 offers last year, UCL supposedly give out 600 and Cambridge around 200, so I'd imagine that LSE give out about 400? This is just speculation though I'm as clueless as everybody else...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7144
Original post by funkydee
Well Warwick gave out 1200 offers last year, UCL supposedly give out 600 and Cambridge around 200, so I'd imagine that LSE give out about 400? This is just speculation though I'm as clueless as everybody else...

Sounds about right

Makes it sound so easy... :sad:
Original post by MWM
The tsr population is assumed to be 10% alone.

nooo i highly doubt that TSR contains 10% of all the LSE applicants... if you look on the LSE applications thread, 10% of total applicants ( I don't know how many across all subjects, but it is far more than number of people talking on the thread... )

If UCL gives out 600 offers, how come so few people are going to their open day... the one next wednesday
If UCL gives out 600 offers, how come so few people are going to their open day... the one next wednesday

They'll be more than one open day. Surely.

You would imagine that there would be multiple open days. As such, I think the one next Wednesday is for the first batch of offers that were given out.
Reply 7150

Well obviously there is going to be more than one, they probably do about 10 or something, this open day is probably going to try and persuade everyone there (who has/should have got Oxbridge offers) that they should go to UCL instead
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7151
nooo i highly doubt that TSR contains 10% of all the LSE applicants... if you look on the LSE applications thread, 10% of total applicants ( I don't know how many across all subjects, but it is far more than number of people talking on the thread... )

As a general rule the tsr pop is 10%, I got that from Minerva anyway.
Although the number of people on the LSE page is less than 10% of all applicants some people who are on TSR don't post there and some people rarely post at all, just when they get an offer/rejection.
If you look at this thread alone how many of us have applied to LSE ? (tons of us)
Not many of us regularly post on the LSE page though. I think the TSR pop is roughly 10% of the total and based on that I would say that LSE have given out close to 1/3 of total offers.
you're the one doing it wrong, I should be the one saying 'oh dear'... here's the explanation , see if you can get it now...

I know 15 people, so if 150 offers have already been given out, I know 10% of the offer holders. What I am saying is that I am unlikely to know more than 10% of the offer holders, therefore the actual number of offers is greater than 150... even if you assume 2.5 offers per place, its still at least 1/3rd of the offers gone (probably closer to 1/2 or even over that)

But... they haven't given out 150 offers. Where exactly have you been getting all these figures from? apart from the fountain of knowledge that is your brain ofcourse. Stop disputing figures when you have no idea!

Pre-January offers are quite rare and limited, actually. seeing as they're meant to be fair to everyone no matter the deadline, now it wouldn't exactly be fair for those who apply later to all be competing for an even small number of places.

I will now kindly ask you to cite sources or shut the hell up.

sounds about right. Although it seems to have dropped over the past years... :frown: Maybe 2011 was just an off year

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/subjects.html#economics
Original post by MWM
As a general rule the tsr pop is 10%, I got that from Minerva anyway.
Although the number of people on the LSE page is less than 10% of all applicants some people who are on TSR don't post there and some people rarely post at all, just when they get an offer/rejection.
If you look at this thread alone how many of us have applied to LSE ? (tons of us)
Not many of us regularly post on the LSE page though. I think the TSR pop is roughly 10% of the total and based on that I would say that LSE have given out close to 1/3 of total offers.

Estimates. are. highly. inaccurate.

Using. assumptions. generalised. on. a. wider scale.

:facepalm: times about a billion

I'm just going to email them and settle this once and for all :rolleyes:
Original post by alex_hk90
:console: I wouldn't take it so hard. Like you say, it is ridiculously competitive (in part because Economics attracts both those interested in the subject, and those aiming for IB/Finance jobs after uni), and you can see it as character building for if you get rejected from jobs/etc. in the future.

Original post by Tateco
I know how you feel (I got pooled), but don't take it so hard, Cambridge isn't everything and you can always do a masters there if you think it is.

Thanks guys. It's the huge amount of effort that's wasted that particularly annoys me... earlier UCAS deadline, SAQ, reading and interview preparation, admissions tests, and the interview itself. All terribly stressful and I felt like crap last term because I was always stressing about something. At least now I can chill out a bit. (Just a bit, mind).

Anyway, good luck with your being pooled, Tateco :biggrin: Hope all goes well.
Reply 7155
Has anyone recieved an offer from durham for economics and politics? i havent..
Reply 7156
Original post by MisanthropicLemon
Thanks guys. It's the huge amount of effort that's wasted that particularly annoys me... earlier UCAS deadline, SAQ, reading and interview preparation, admissions tests, and the interview itself. All terribly stressful and I felt like crap last term because I was always stressing about something. At least now I can chill out a bit. (Just a bit, mind).

Anyway, good luck with your being pooled, Tateco :biggrin: Hope all goes well.

I know the feeling of wasted effort all too well :cry2:

Thanks, but the chances of being fished are tending towards zero, so I'll be joining you soon :tongue:
Original post by Tateco

Thanks, but the chances of being fished are tending towards zero, so I'll be joining you soon :tongue:

We still haven't been fished, our only hope right now really is our original college giving us an offer for defered :frown: even that is super unlikely...
Original post by Tateco

:/ Even if you don't get an offer, at least they saw something in you!
Reply 7159
We still haven't been fished, our only hope right now really is our original college giving us an offer for defered :frown: even that is super unlikely...

I think most of the offers to the pool will be given out early next week, hardly any offers have been given out at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending