The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I never use vaccutainers! I hate them. I think its well dodge if you have someone with fragile veins, no flashback, feels like I'm going to dislodge the needle everytime you change a bottle.

I think it's alright if your taking blood from a juicy AC vein but apart from that...needle and syringe all the way.
ok so i'm now feeling the regret of not doing much work or exercise over the christmas break. Spending around 10 hours rowing this weekend in total and not being able to move just shows how lazy I've been. Also now have 5 days to write an essay and still have a heap of work to catch up on. The essay is looking disastrous... I have plans for 4/5 evenings this week and lectures until 6 on monday and tuesday. Welcome back to the real world. :frown:
Original post by digitalis
I never use vaccutainers! I hate them. I think its well dodge if you have someone with fragile veins, no flashback, feels like I'm going to dislodge the needle everytime you change a bottle.

I think it's alright if your taking blood from a juicy AC vein but apart from that...needle and syringe all the way.

I thought they were ideal on the end of a butterfly - no risk of dislodging the needle when changing bottle, etc, but then the phlebotomist told me off cos apparently butterfly's cost too much. I can't do needle and syringe though - I need three hands for that!
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I can't do needle and syringe though - I need three hands for that!

Should learn! It's a good skill. Much finer control of the vacuum and you can 'test' the vein as well. Also, way I see it, it's the universal way of taking blood across the world. Vaccutainer is a brand, that stuff might just be the flavour of the month right now.
Should learn! It's a good skill. Much finer control of the vacuum and you can 'test' the vein as well. Also, way I see it, it's the universal way of taking blood across the world. Vaccutainer is a brand, that stuff might just be the flavour of the month right now.

I just don't have the single-hand strength to pull the plunger back without pulling the whole shebang back out of the vein :dontknow: Gotta get me some finger-size weights, I think!
Reply 8085
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I thought they were ideal on the end of a butterfly - no risk of dislodging the needle when changing bottle, etc, but then the phlebotomist told me off cos apparently butterfly's cost too much. I can't do needle and syringe though - I need three hands for that!

I always use butterflies :yep: (though butterfly and syringe rather than the vacutainer butterfly things that I've never actually seen one of!)

This is coming from paeds where all we ever used were butterflies though and I never want to stop using them, just find them so easy (lucky if I can find any on the ward though :rolleyes:)
I really liked the monovettes I learned with, much preferred them to vacutainers. Nowhere in London that I've worked seems to have them though.
Talk about a lucky escape...

First med school exam tommorow! :woo:
Original post by gozatron

At least yours are formative, mine is the real deal! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh! Mon, Tues and Weds exams :frown:
Original post by rumandraisin

At least yours are formative, mine is the real deal! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh! Mon, Tues and Weds exams :frown:

Mine aren't formative. The real shizzle.
Mine aren't formative. The real shizzle.

Ah my apologies. I must have you confused with someone else then. Good luck :smile:

Ah my apologies. I must have you confused with someone else then. Good luck :smile:

You too! :biggrin:
Just had a whirlwind birthday weekend :biggrin:

My new ladyfriend surprised me by comign all the way down to see me - I was taken to a 5 star hotel in London in a deluxe double suite (OMG now I wanna be rich, damn I feel my ideals slipping away haha) and was lavished with food and gifts.

Worst of all is the biggest threat to my degree.... she bought me SKYRIM :O

Well there goes any chance of a decent decile :p:

xx

Best Birthday ever anyway :biggrin:

Same! Formative though lol.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 8095
Original post by englishman129
Same! Formative though lol.

Good luck :smile:

Going to sound stupid, but whats the difference between a formative exam and a proper one? Is it like mocks?
Original post by SabreT
Going to sound stupid, but whats the difference between a formative exam and a proper one? Is it like mocks?

Exactly!

Formative = mock

Summative = real
Original post by SabreT

basically:
formative = sit exam, marks don't count for anything
summative = sit exam, marks actually count

You can think of formatives as mock exams, and summatives as the end of year exams.

EDIT: Read above post.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Medicine Man
basically:
formative = sit exam, marks don't count for anything
summative = sit exam, marks actually count

You can think of formatives as mock exams, and summatives as the end of year exams.

EDIT: Read above post.

*repped*

Heheh I do love the situation where some git beats you to writing a post :p:

Monovette > Needle & syrine >> Vacuntatiner

Latest

Trending

Trending