The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5380
(500) Days of Summer fans: It's January 8th. :awesome:
And that film is on this week or even today.
Original post by Colonel.
And that film is on this week or even today.

It's on now.
Original post by cambo211
It's on now.

****. How meta.
Finished off the Dollars trilogy today with the extended version of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Man, that film is long. I really enjoyed it, but you certainly feel the passing of time in it.

Original post by lukejoshjedi
not every film may do it but I've noticed, the obligatory shaky cam effect used in chases or when running, the camera user leaving the camera static to look at something then getting abducted or attacked (usually in horror flicks), the camera recording skipping about to different footage

I think some FF films use clichés a bit too much, didn't really work with the barely scary Paranormal activity 3

I wouldn't really class some of these as clichés. Yes the camera wobbles when the actor runs, but that's because these things are made to look like home movies. That's not so much a cliché as a fundamental part of the genre. Amateurs don't generally have access to Steadicams. :p: Similarly with the camera being dropped, it's showing the camera as having a much more active part in the film than ever before and you have to take it into account as a material object, rather than just being an omnipresent observer. It's touches like that that are important for realism.

Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
Serious man crush on some of the actors in War Horse. I didn't realise Benedict Cumberpatch, Toby Kebbell and Tom Hiddlestone were in it. :colondollar:

Who has it seen it already?

Saw it for the second time today. :ninja:
Reply 5385
Not sure about War Horse, the trailer made me weep in the cinema and I don't know if I have the strength! Anything animal related gets to me.
Finally saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. If I start gushing about it I'm not going to stop. It's the first great spy thriller I've seen in years. So easy to make those films lurid and hyper-stylised like some sort of glorified airport novel, but Tomas Alfredson's made a classy, intelligent film that manages to be both subdued and exhilarating simultaneously.
Netflix UK.

Nothing good on the selection at the moment, but I imagine it will get better.
I got LoveFilm, forget Netflix tbh.
Reply 5389
Original post by Christien
Finally saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. If I start gushing about it I'm not going to stop. It's the first great spy thriller I've seen in years. So easy to make those films lurid and hyper-stylised like some sort of glorified airport novel, but Tomas Alfredson's made a classy, intelligent film that manages to be both subdued and exhilarating simultaneously.

Out of interest, what are other great spy films? :holmes:
Reply 5390

Could not agree with you more. It was absolutely beautifully made, some of the shots were just incredible! I was gutted I only got to see it once at the cinema... I want to be a film-maker when I'm older, and this is the sort of work I aspire to :smile: Planning to watch Let The Right One In asap!

Has anyone seen We Need To Talk About Kevin? Incredible film, Lynne Ramsay and Tilda Swinton (and Lionel Shriver of course) are my new heroes.
Reply 5391
Original post by elljay
Could not agree with you more. It was absolutely beautifully made, some of the shots were just incredible! I was gutted I only got to see it once at the cinema... I want to be a film-maker when I'm older, and this is the sort of work I aspire to :smile: Planning to watch Let The Right One In asap!

Has anyone seen We Need To Talk About Kevin? Incredible film, Lynne Ramsay and Tilda Swinton (and Lionel Shriver of course) are my new heroes.

Let The Right One In's amazing, but really different to TTSS.

I've seen We Need To Talk About Kevin. It was good but it felt a little sparse to me compared to the book.
Original post by Abiraleft
Out of interest, what are other great spy films? :holmes:

Well, I kind of regret that choice of words. The 'spy film' is a broad categorization, and I wouldn't want to lump Tinker Tailor in with Bond/Bourne/Mission Impossible et al. Not because these are bad or otherwise unworthy films (far from it), but it would be terribly inaccurate to do so; the emphasize is on action/ set pieces there, where Tinker Tailor is more concerned with the intrigue that usually serves as the backdrop to those films; with information, misinformation and subtle power plays.

In this sense I would compare it more to films like Coppola's The Conversation, which, though not really a spy film, still deals with the associated guilt and paranoia of a profession where you have to listen and report on people without their consent. The Manchurian Candidate would also be an example I suppose (although it is far more implausible than Tinker Tailor). You probably also want to look at Le Carre's other famous adapted work - 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold - as well, although I haven't seen it and can't vouch for or against it. Finally, Hitchcock's North by Northwest also largely deals with misinformation and similar political/personal machinations, but has plenty of action as well; it probably represents the perfect synthesis of both sides of the genre.
(edited 12 years ago)
watched reservoir dogs yesterday
Reply 5394
I watched Contagion; I thought it was decent but unspectacular. The direction is really good in places (towards the beginning, mostly), mainly in conjunction with the cinematography, but the acting isn't really as effective as you'd expect from an ensemble cast. A large part of that problem is probably the underwritten characterization, though.

Well, I kind of regret that choice of words. The 'spy film' is a broad categorization, and I wouldn't want to lump Tinker Tailor in with Bond/Bourne/Mission Impossible et al. Not because these are bad or otherwise unworthy films (far from it), but it would be terribly inaccurate to do so; the emphasize is on action/ set pieces there, where Tinker Tailor is more concerned with the intrigue that usually serves as the backdrop to those films; with information, misinformation and subtle power plays.

In this sense I would compare it more to films like Coppola's The Conversation, which, though not really a spy film, still deals with the associated guilt and paranoia of a profession where you have to listen and report on people without their consent. The Manchurian Candidate would also be an example I suppose (although it is far more implausible than Tinker Tailor). You probably also want to look at Le Carre's other famous adapted work - 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold - as well, although I haven't seen it and can't vouch for or against it. Finally, Hitchcock's North by Northwest also largely deals with misinformation and similar political/personal machinations, but has plenty of action as well; it probably represents the perfect synthesis of both sides of the genre.

Thanks. I've heard of some of those films, but haven't watched them. :yy: I've wanted to watch The Conversation for ages now. Just to add to the list, The Lives of Others (or Das Leben der Anderen) also sounds like a similar film (and is another one I've been looking forward to watching; I've actually got this one, though :colondollar:).

S-man10
watched reservoir dogs yesterday

:woo: How did you like it?
I watched Contagion; I thought it was decent but unspectacular. The direction is really good in places (towards the beginning, mostly), mainly in conjunction with the cinematography, but the acting isn't really as effective as you'd expect from an ensemble cast. A large part of that problem is probably the underwritten characterization, though.

Thanks. I've heard of some of those films, but haven't watched them. :yy: I've wanted to watch The Conversation for ages now. Just to add to the list, The Lives of Others (or Das Leben der Anderen) also sounds like a similar film (and is another one I've been looking forward to watching; I've actually got this one, though :colondollar:).

Wow, I really enjoyed Contagion. I felt the characters kind of had to be sparse, really; they had to take archetypes like the unappreciated genius, the beleaguered boss-figure, the bureaucrat and the average joe dad figure and show how they'd react (realistically) in an unimaginable, chaotic, potentially apocalyptic scenario.

Yeah The Conversation should be your priority. For my money, it's Coppola's best, and by a fair margin (which isn't to say I don't love Godfather, GFII, Apocalypse Now, etc.). Haven't heard of The Lives of Others. May have to check that out.
Reply 5396
Wow, I really enjoyed Contagion. I felt the characters kind of had to be sparse, really; they had to take archetypes like the unappreciated genius, the beleaguered boss-figure, the bureaucrat and the average joe dad figure and show how they'd react (realistically) in an unimaginable, chaotic, potentially apocalyptic scenario.

Yeah The Conversation should be your priority. For my money, it's Coppola's best, and by a fair margin (which isn't to say I don't love Godfather, GFII, Apocalypse Now, etc.). Haven't heard of The Lives of Others. May have to check that out.

I was enjoying it for the most part, but at one point, I felt it kind of fell away; I think it would have benefited hugely from just a little extra back-story to each storyline (which might have added around 20-30 minutes to the film, but hey). I'm fine with characterization being sparse (particularly in an intellectual setting like this) but not one-dimensional, which is what I feel some of the prominent characters became (particularly Law and Ehle). I did like some of the acting - especially Damon and Winset.
Reply 5397
Seeing The Iron Lady tomorrow, very much looking forward to it. Streep is a goddess. :sogood:

Quite enjoyed it. Really wanted to watch something so that was the one I picked :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending