The Student Room Group

Which organelles are visible under a light mocroscope

Am I correct in beleiving that the only organelles visible under a light microscope are: nucleus and mitochondria

also are granuals of glycogen visible under a light microscope?

Just to let you know I'm following the AQA A-level Biology spec, this is for unit 1 and it sais I need to know the structure of an epithelial call from the small intestine as viewed under a light microscope

thanks for any help :smile:

Edit: Also are the glycogen granuales organelles or not?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by tdx
Am I correct in beleiving that the only organelles visible under a light microscope are: nucleus and mitochondria

also are granuals of glycogen visible under a light microscope?

Just to let you know I'm following the AQA A-level Biology spec, this is for unit 1 and it sais I need to know the structure of an epithelial call from the small intestine as viewed under a light microscope

thanks for any help :smile:

organelles? yep ur right, mitochondria and nucleus in animal cells. in plant cells u can see chloroplasts :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mad.shell
organelles? yep ur right, mitochondria and nucleus in animal cells. in plant cells u can see chloroplasts :smile:

thank you for clearing that up :smile: .. would you be able to see the glycogen granuals or not though?
Original post by tdx
thank you for clearing that up :smile: .. would you be able to see the glycogen granuals or not though?

I shouldn't think so - they're quite small; you'd probably need an electron microscope for those.
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod
I shouldn't think so - they're quite small; you'd probably need an electron microscope for those.

I've seen some slides, I didn't see any glycogen granules. I'm not 100% sure, but I agree with the post above.
Reply 5

Original post by mad.shell
I've seen some slides, I didn't see any glycogen granules. I'm not 100% sure, but I agree with the post above.

ok, my text book has a drawing of a small intestine epithelial cell which includes the granuals, however it also has a photomicrograph (from a light microscope) in which I can make out the nucleus and mitochondria but no way can I see the granuals. In the exam I'll write that you may sometimes be just able to see the granuals but an electron microscope will show them better :smile:

also are the glycogen granuales organeles or not? thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by tdx
ok, my text book has a drawing of a small intestine epithelial cell which includes the granuals, however it also has a photomicrograph (from a light microscope) in which I can make out the nucleus and mitochondria but no way can I see the granuals. In the exam I'll write that you may sometimes be just able to see the granuals but an electron microscope will show them better :smile:

also are the glycogen granuales organeles or not? thanks for the help :smile:

I wouldn't say they're organelles, no.

They're just a store of 'energy'
Reply 7
I wouldn't say they're organelles, no.

They're just a store of 'energy'

ok, cool so they are just blobs of glycogen? they're not actually bound by a membrane?

Original post by tdx
ok, cool so they are just blobs of glycogen? they're not actually bound by a membrane?

Yup (not bound by a membrane).
Reply 9
Yup (not bound by a membrane).

ok cheers :smile: and I found out that they are infact still classed as organelles though :')
Original post by tdx
ok cheers :smile: and I found out that they are infact still classed as organelles though :')

please link me up with the source you "found that" !
Interested to see :smile:

Original post by tdx

I'm not sure about that pal

Edit: by 'I'm not sure about that pal', I mean 'Granules of glycogen are definitely bloody not organelles'
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
I'm not sure about that pal

Also under higher power light microscope you you see grana and stroma (in plant cell )

correct me if am wrong
+rep
Original post by tdx

You've just said that it's not possible to see the granules in a light micrograph - why would you then write in an exam that you can?
Reply 14
Original post by Revd. Mike
You've just said that it's not possible to see the granules in a light micrograph - why would you then write in an exam that you can?

i've done it now, lol, no questions on microscopes :biggrin: and because using a light microscope with a higher resolution than the one from which the picture I saw you would probably just about see them. So when talking a bout light microscopes generally you probably could see them

Original post by tdx
i've done it now, lol, no questions on microscopes :biggrin: and because using a light microscope with a higher resolution than the one from which the picture I saw you would probably just about see them. So when talking a bout light microscopes generally you probably could see them

What's your reasoning for that?

Also, never give answers that use the word "might" or "possibly" in an exam. If a questions asks can you see X on a light microscope and you say "you might be able to", that's not an answer they'll accept as correct :tongue:
Reply 16
What's your reasoning for that?

Also, never give answers that use the word "might" or "possibly" in an exam. If a questions asks can you see X on a light microscope and you say "you might be able to", that's not an answer they'll accept as correct :tongue:

however writing 'it is possible to see the granueles under high power microscopes, however when using the lower powered one's commonly used by schools the granueles will not be visible' will get a mark? :smile:

Original post by tdx
however writing 'it is possible to see the granueles under high power microscopes, however when using the lower powered one's commonly used by schools the granueles will not be visible' will get a mark? :smile:

It's too wordy for such a short answer questions. Also, I'm fairly sure it's incorrect. From a quick google, I'm fairly sure that you can only see glycogen granules with EM.
Reply 18
It's too wordy for such a short answer questions. Also, I'm fairly sure it's incorrect. From a quick google, I'm fairly sure that you can only see glycogen granules with EM.

fair play :smile: .. I've done the exam and no questions on microscopes, let alone whether or not you can see glycogen granules under a light one, haha :')
Why can you see it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending