The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
Original post by Milkshake-Bros
I dont have a great deal of work and im pretty much positive im not getting into uni this year but its experience i guess. I have 2 interviews this month (hertfordshire+teeside). I'm technically a third year college student(didnt fail...needed to take art) and in this third year I picked up a/s photography and art with absolutely NO prior art background, although I have been using a 3d package for quite a while. atm this is all the work I have =\

Life drawings - Not many but there okay I think, proportions wise and some shaded

3d work - some product design/ unfinished projects/ really short 1 or 2 animations / couple of interior scenes

painting - so bad at painting its hilarious, 1 thing to show honestly =\ - worth showing?

Character design - im RLLY negative but I'm happy with my character design. in pencil, no color, front/back,side 2 characters and then 2/3 poses from each character

Sculpture - to do mainly with my art theme, the sculpture I thought was okayish but the paint ruined it - worth showing?

Graphic Design - some wallpapers and a logo I made for someone - worth showing?

Photography - haven't chosen the images yet, going to choose with teacher

VB Program - had to create a computer program for computing cw last year using visual basic - worth showing?

THANKS GUYYYSS! :smile:

For Hertfordshire, yes please to life drawing, 3D, painting - but it needs to show colour (your portfolio really needs to show some colour work) - if the painting is really bad, don't include it. Can you paint digitally? we really like to see some concept art / colour paintings / perspective work, it's a vital skill... Sculpture - what is it? If it's anatomy, yes please. Just show photos though, you don't need to carry something heavy with you. Graphic Design is not very interesting to us unless it really is amazing, we'd much rather see drawings /paintings. Photography - we want to see this, look for images with strong compositions and good lighting.

Visual Basic program - could well be worth showing, what does it do? If you can make a MEL script or MaxScript or something in Python that's a major bonus.

If you want an actual opinion based on your work the best thing to do is to put the work online (www.carbonmade.com is a free and very easy to use portfolio site) and stick a link up here - that way you could be told what images to remove and which to improve. That way you don't waste any of the time you have left creating the wrong work.
Reply 2061
sooo you mean do digital life drawings?

No don't do that please, people never draw at high enough resolution when they work digitally, plus there's the instant temptation to just trace over the photo - unless you mean going to an actual life drawing session with a wacom and laptop? It's not very easy, pencil/charcoal/conte and paper is a better medium, you can look at the model and the paper while standing, it's usually rather hard to do that with a laptop:smile:
Reply 2062
Original post by katie55
Thank you for the feedback :smile:,
you said some of the life drawings were quite weak and i was wondering if it would be better to leave the weaker ones out or to keep them in, as they are in chronological order which hopefully shows that i am improving.
thank you

I'm sure Saf will give his opinion, but in my experience you should only ever show your best work - less is most definitely more. A good piece of advice from an artist I used to work with: "You are only as good as the worst thing in your portfolio" Make sure your worst work is good, and everything else is better. If you only show two good life drawings, that's a better thing than 2 good life drawings and 4 bad life drawings - if you don't show anyone that you have bad work, they can only judge you on the good work you've done :smile:
Original post by moid
I'm sure Saf will give his opinion, but in my experience you should only ever show your best work - less is most definitely more. A good piece of advice from an artist I used to work with: "You are only as good as the worst thing in your portfolio" Make sure your worst work is good, and everything else is better. If you only show two good life drawings, that's a better thing than 2 good life drawings and 4 bad life drawings - if you don't show anyone that you have bad work, they can only judge you on the good work you've done :smile:

Yep, I agree with Moid, best work only. Quality vs Quantity. Its good to show progression; but that can be better communicated via sketch books/WIP leading to the final artwork. Keep up the good work.

Saf
Will changing my interview to a later date affect my chances of getting an offer?
Reply 2065
It depends on the course - at the start of the interviewing 'season' there are a fixed number of places available and all are potentially available. Towards the end of the 'season', if the course is popular, it has made all the offers it wants / needs to and may not have many or any places left - of course every course has to offer more places than it actually has because nobody knows exactly how many offers turn into actual students in September (because we don't know if you will get your predicted grades, you might decide to choose another course, you might decide that university is not financially viable etc), but I would say in general you are potentially affecting your chances of getting a place. However if your artwork isn't good enough to get you a place in January, but it is in April, then it makes sense to hold off, hoping that the course you really want to study at hasn't been inundated with great work and has only a handful of places left... so it's a gamble I'm afraid. One thing you can do to even the odds up would be to contact the course you really want to study at, ask if you can send some examples of work and ask if it's good enough yet? If it isn't, delay that interview and draw draw draw! If they like it, go for as early a date as possible :smile:
Reply 2066
has anyone here applied or know of anyone whos applied for a foundation course at falmouth ? so far i havent heard of anyone whos completed the project .. i live in london so obviously its quite far , is the interview procedure guaranteed for everyone whos done the project , do they tell you during the interview if they want to give you an offer ??
Original post by Indrreee
has anyone here applied or know of anyone whos applied for a foundation course at falmouth ? so far i havent heard of anyone whos completed the project .. i live in london so obviously its quite far , is the interview procedure guaranteed for everyone whos done the project , do they tell you during the interview if they want to give you an offer ??

Falmouth has an excellent reputation for Art and Design. Its an excellent Arts University.

Cheers

Saf
What do you guys think of this Masters program from Bradford/Escape Studios.

http://www.escapestudios.co.uk/find-a-vfx-course/
Reply 2069
Original post by Sofronis
Yep, I agree with Moid, best work only. Quality vs Quantity. Its good to show progression; but that can be better communicated via sketch books/WIP leading to the final artwork. Keep up the good work.

Saf

okay thank you both :smile:, if i only include my best work the number will be quite small that i show in interview i know hertfordshire ask for between 12-18 pieces and i've heard you say that you like alot of work but i think i will only have 10-12 pieces :s-smilie: is this too small?
in the coming weeks i will try and add more my bournemouth interview isnt until the beginning of february, hopefully i will have enough by then but i have 4 more interviews in the next 2 weeks :/

thank you :smile:
Original post by katie55
okay thank you both :smile:, if i only include my best work the number will be quite small that i show in interview i know hertfordshire ask for between 12-18 pieces and i've heard you say that you like alot of work but i think i will only have 10-12 pieces :s-smilie: is this too small?
in the coming weeks i will try and add more my bournemouth interview isnt until the beginning of february, hopefully i will have enough by then but i have 4 more interviews in the next 2 weeks :/

thank you :smile:

I too am also in the same situation lol (teeside + hertfordshire though). is 10-12 too small?
If you didn't get a particularly good grade in the maths test for the CAA course at Bournemouth could you still get a place?
I too am also in the same situation lol (teeside + hertfordshire though). is 10-12 too small?

You need to show off a high level of skills and, preferably, in a variety of mediums with a variety of themes. It's entirely possible to do this in 10-12 pieces so no, it's not too small - as long as they're all great.
Reply 2073
Original post by prochembro
What do you guys think of this Masters program from Bradford/Escape Studios.

http://www.escapestudios.co.uk/find-a-vfx-course/

Quite astoundingly expensive :biggrin: Ā£22,000 for a Masters? The work in the reel on that page isn't by the Master's students, it's by the students from their Short VFX Production course
http://www.escapestudios.co.uk/visual-effects-production-courses/

I suspect they have priced themselves out of the market.
Reply 2074
Offer from UCA Rochester for CG arts and Animation :biggrin: , anyone else applying/accepted?
and does anyone have an interview for hertfordshire on the 20th of January or Bournemouth on the 8th Feb? :smile:
XD I got conditional offer from Bournemouth.
On the day of the interview I didnt do as good as i would have in the life drawing, the 15min sketch was ok but after that it was the 3 min ones and the supervisor didnt give us time when we had to change paper and tape it on to drawing board which wasted a lot of the time.
The maths test was fine for me, i did no preparation for it as i heard it was gcse standard for A-level maths students it should be fine. As for the logic test i did ok.
Reply 2076
Got a conditional for Bournemouth CAA aswell, I couldn't believe how quick they got back to me!!!! :smile: Cant wait!!!
Reply 2077
I got an offer from bournemouth for CVA too! I'm so relieved :biggrin:
I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm guessing I got a rejection as I only got 33% on my maths and 60% on logic. Tho I did think my life drawing, interview and portfolio were good. I haven't done maths in 2 years and all I do is art so maybe that has put them off. ahh I dunno i'm just speculating :frown:
Reply 2079
well done guys and good luck Lydia1234 :smile: i hope i get in :/ what were the tests like at bournemouth??

Quick Reply

Latest