The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3180
He threw 316 yards in 10 completed passes averaging 31.6 yards a pass:eek:

You all know how religious he is so here he is in college ball.

Freaky
Original post by TheMagicRat
Remarkable. He throws his first 300 yard game against a side that hadn't allowed 300 yards passing all season. It's underdog story to end all others. Surely he can't do it again next week, can he?

It's against the Patriots... he'll double his passing yardage.
Original post by RabbitCFH
8 Eastern Time so 1 AM UK time.

Brilliant, thanks man.
Since the Bengals lost to the Texans, I guess I'll be pulling for the Bronco's in the AFC but overall, I want the Giants to take it all.

Tebow's got God on his side, so it's no contest really. :wink:
I'm quite new to American football, in fact very new, the first game I watched was Broncos/Steelers last night and I loved it!

My friends are all really into it and so I wanted to get in on it as well, they gave me the Broncos as I'd read about Tim Tebow in the paper a couple of weeks ago. He played a blinder, it looked like a blinder to me, yesterday, and yet no one I know seems to rate him. I know the broncos were 3-0 leading up to last nights game but I don't get all the Tebow hatin'.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
Not rating the guy: Tebow has a terrible throwing action, it's improving, but if you watch the ball when it leaves his hand then is isn't in a 'spiral' (nose first in an arc while the ball spins about its axis) like you see from the best QBs like Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers & Payton Manning. He has great feet, is difficult to tackle and speed and gets things done, so fair play to the guy (I'm a huge Steelers fan so that hurts me to say it).

'Hating' the guy: He was hyped all the way through college and even more so now. He's being helped massively by a very good defense and good O-Line (the fat guys who block the defenders and stop the QB from being tackled). He's got a lot of lucky breaks too so the press coverage saying he's great is quite grating. Also the religion thing means he's a Fox News darling, enough to turn anyone against him. It's not his fault, it's more a resentment for the hype.

There's also some apathy towards Sidney Crosby in the NHL, but unlike Tebow, he's an absolute superstar and has captained his team to a championship, proven himself as one of the best in the league and Canada to Olympic gold; so it's not unique in america for random 'I absolutely love the guy' vs 'I hope he loses' scenarios.
(edited 12 years ago)
This isn't NFL football, but the college football national championship is tonight. I know most of you probably don't follow college football, but this is just FYI in case you guys want to watch more football. Lots of future pros in this game. I'm sure you can find a stream somewhere on the internet. LSU vs. Alabama at 8:30 pm.

Also, if you do decide to watch, be prepared for a very defensive game. The first time these two teams played this season the final score was 6-3. I pray there's more offense tonight.
Original post by Idris Dragon
Not rating the guy: Tebow has a terrible throwing action, it's improving, but if you watch the ball when it leaves his hand then is isn't in a 'spiral' (nose first in an arc while the ball spins about its axis) like you see from the best QBs like Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers & Payton Manning. He has great feet, is difficult to tackle and speed and gets things done, so fair play to the guy (I'm a huge Steelers fan so that hurts me to say it).

'Hating' the guy: He was hyped all the way through college and even more so now. He's being helped massively by a very good defense and good O-Line (the fat guys who block the defenders and stop the QB from being tackled). He's got a lot of lucky breaks too so the press coverage saying he's great is quite grating. Also the religion thing means he's a Fox News darling, enough to turn anyone against him. It's not his fault, it's more a resentment for the hype.

There's also some apathy towards Sidney Crosby in the NHL, but unlike Tebow, he's an absolute superstar and has captained his team to a championship, proven himself as one of the best in the league and Canada to Olympic gold; so it's not unique in america for random 'I absolutely love the guy' vs 'I hope he loses' scenarios.

Yeah I noticed his throwing doesn't seem to throw how other QB's do, he seems to arrow it instead of actually swirling it. Yeah I also noticed his feet, plus he's freakin huge but I don't think he got sacked once last night.

Ah yeah I hate fox news, so I can see how that can cause some resentment, but I guess his religion thing is a great psychological motivator which would explain 'tebow time'.
Reply 3188
Original post by Baltimoron
This isn't NFL football, but the college football national championship is tonight. I know most of you probably don't follow college football, but this is just FYI in case you guys want to watch more football. Lots of future pros in this game. I'm sure you can find a stream somewhere on the internet. LSU vs. Alabama at 8:30 pm.

Also, if you do decide to watch, be prepared for a very defensive game. The first time these two teams played this season the final score was 6-3. I pray there's more offense tonight.

Who you think will win and want to win ? I want LSU and think they will squeak it
Tebow can throw a spiral lol
Original post by alexsong
Who you think will win and want to win ? I want LSU and think they will squeak it

I don't really care who wins. I just want a good game. But I do think Alabama will win. They have one of the best defenses in the history of college football and I just don't think they will lose to LSU twice in one season. Roll Tide.

Oh, and here's a pretty cool video showing just how crazy good and athletic these defenses are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr2jPwbPvUU&feature=youtu.be
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3191
I don't really care who wins. I just want a good game. But I do think Alabama will win. They have one of the best defenses in the history of college football and I just don't think they will lose to LSU twice in one season. Roll Tide.

Oh, and here's a pretty cool video showing just how crazy good and athletic these defenses are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr2jPwbPvUU&feature=youtu.be

Only reason I side with LSU is from listening to Van Pelt a bit who seems to champions Les Miles. I am anticipating a battle of attrition and defensive struggle like the classic steelers-ravens games, may the best team win
Original post by alexsong
Only reason I side with LSU is from listening to Van Pelt a bit who seems to champions Les Miles. I am anticipating a battle of attrition and defensive struggle like the classic steelers-ravens games, may the best team win

Fair enough, I love Van Pelt. But I think Les Miles is a terrible coach. Nick Saban is an infinitely better coach. And as a Ravens fan, I wouldn't mind a game like that haha.
Which Van Pelt is this?
Fair enough, I love Van Pelt. But I think Les Miles is a terrible coach. Nick Satan is an infinitely better coach. And as a Ravens fan, I wouldn't mind a game like that haha.

Fixed. Bailed on the Phins leaving the makings of a terrible team behind. Unforgivable.
Original post by The Troll Toll
Which Van Pelt is this?

Scott Van Pelt. Anchor on ESPN. Also has his own radio show. And a proud alumnus of the University of Maryland. Go Terps.
I've recently started to watch and read about American Football and I have to say that I'm becoming a rapid fan. People dismiss it too early because they fail to understand it and don't realise the depth of each play and the tactics employed- and I say this as someone new to the game- can't imagine what it's like for you guys in the US who grew up understanding it.

I've always been a die hard football (soccer) fan but I've grown tired off it's failure to evolve, corruption and special status. I think American football would really rocket in the UK if only it got some decent coverage and not at 1am!!

Struggling to pick a team at the moment- from playing Madden ( :colondollar: ) and watching the play-offs I like the Lions offence and think Stafford is good- too bad they have big gaps defensively.
Holy ****. That national championship game. I say this without any reservation: what Alabama did tonight was the greatest defensive performance I've ever seen in a single football game at any level (pro or college). And I've been watching football my entire life. That was incredible.

Alabama held LSU to 92 yards of total offense. 92! This included holding LSU to only 39 yards rushing. LSU only got past the 50 yard line once the entire game and the one time they did was in the 4th quarter.

If you people want to see how defense is really played I encourage you to get your hands on some highlights of that game. I am amazed by what I saw tonight. Congrats Alabama. Roll Tide.
Holy ****. That national championship game. I say this without any reservation: what Alabama did tonight was the greatest defensive performance I've ever seen in a single football game at any level (pro or college). And I've been watching football my entire life. That was incredible.

Alabama held LSU to 92 yards of total offense. 92! This included holding LSU to only 39 yards rushing. LSU only got past the 50 yard line once the entire game and the one time they did was in the 4th quarter.

If you people want to see how defense is really played I encourage you to get your hands on some highlights of that game. I am amazed by what I saw tonight. Congrats Alabama. Roll Tide.

Alabama's defense is truly solid. They definitely deserve their reputation for one of the best programs for defensive players in the US.
Original post by The Egg Militia

I knew that would come back and bite me in the ass.

Latest