Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Getting Involved Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So I have accepted my place on the Air Transport Management course and I am now very excited to get to Loughborough and get started on it.

However, I am also wanting to potentially get involved with the SU and some of its societies. Unfortunately I don't really know where to start with getting involved and what kind of involvement the SU can offer me.

If you are a current student and possibly point me in the right direction or give some advice on what I can expect with regards to the SU then that would be fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    The LSU website is the place to start

ReputationRep:
    If you look on the LSU website (Potally_Tissed linked to it) that'll give you an idea of some of the societies/AU clubs you can join. As well as that, every year in the first term the union puts on a Societies Bazaar and AU Bazaar where you can go down and see what they're all about and meet some of the committee.

There's a lot to choose from in the societies federation and the AU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patto1989)
    Hey,

So I have accepted my place on the Air Transport Management course and I am now very excited to get to Loughborough and get started on it.

However, I am also wanting to potentially get involved with the SU and some of its societies. Unfortunately I don't really know where to start with getting involved and what kind of involvement the SU can offer me.

If you are a current student and possibly point me in the right direction or give some advice on what I can expect with regards to the SU then that would be fantastic!
    Oooh congrats
    Silly question but what does SU stand for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DxxbPwnz)
    Oooh congrats
    Silly question but what does SU stand for?
    Student Union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Student Union.
    Ahh okay.. don't they have jobs within student unions at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DxxbPwnz)
    Ahh okay.. don't they have jobs within student unions at uni?
    Yeah, they'll usually try get a few people to work at the union (bar work, bouncers, etc.) at the start of the year and sometimes intermittently during term time. I've got a couple mates who work there, one on the bars and one on security and I think it pays about £6/hour give or take.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get involved in the academic side there are quite a few positions you can run for, department reps, programme presidents etc. All great on the CV and good to be involved with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Yeah, they'll usually try get a few people to work at the union (bar work, bouncers, etc.) at the start of the year and sometimes intermittently during term time. I've got a couple mates who work there, one on the bars and one on security and I think it pays about £6/hour give or take.
    Ahh that sounds alright, with these fees and loans I could do with some extra cash aha. Silly government -.-

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.