The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

"It's like Wall Street, and the criminals that are running the United States!"

Ugh. Might as well just have 'ALLEGORY!' flash up in rainbow colours whenever The Hutts are onscreen. :facepalm2:

I'm not looking forward to this, but I'll watch it regardless, because I am a fanboy sucka. It's probably going to make Boba Fett (let's not kid ourselves, he's gonna feature) even worse than the EU and AotC made him. Joy. Wonder if there'll be any Jedi. All for departing from their dominance of the series, but it could be interesting to follow some of the few who escaped Order 66, and had to go 'underworld' to do so. :holmes:
Saw War Horse today :awesome:
Original post by Christien
"It's like Wall Street, and the criminals that are running the United States!"

Ugh. Might as well just have 'ALLEGORY!' flash up in rainbow colours whenever The Hutts are onscreen. :facepalm2:

I'm not looking forward to this, but I'll watch it regardless, because I am a fanboy sucka. It's probably going to make Boba Fett (let's not kid ourselves, he's gonna feature) even worse than the EU and AotC made him. Joy. Wonder if there'll be any Jedi. All for departing from their dominance of the series, but it could be interesting to follow some of the few who escaped Order 66, and had to go 'underworld' to do so. :holmes:

:lol:

It has a lot of potential if they don't simply go for special effects (where they will inevitably run into budget problems) and try and go for several intertwining (good) stories with lots of character development in the backdrop of that universe. That's really how I see the prequel trilogy - an over-abundance of special effects with lots of poor acting. I don't even think Attack of the Clones' story was anything more than what the title already told you. The universe has been richly developed with the canon and expansion through books, films and video games. The special effects could be on the level of Serenity (film) over the Firefly (TV series). Those effects were enough for it to feel a high quality science fiction film and the budget was around $39 million - far easier to scale down than $100 million prequel budgets.

Also, I hate this fascination with '...complex and dark and adult.' It's like the tagline to most new shows nowadays. Let's insert mindless sex here and here so it becomes 'adult' and 'dark'. I'm not sure why they are even going for a period near the main films. A TV series set back a few thousand years ago (like the KOTOR games?) might work well and provide more room to manoeuvre. This sort of time period.

Perhaps they will have a few Jedi and attempt to do a Valkyrie style assassinate Vader (Hitler) plot. :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Red State is ****ing nuts. Like, completely insane. I'm still reeling from it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
:lol:

It has a lot of potential if they don't simply go for special effects (where they will inevitably run into budget problems) and try and go for several intertwining (good) stories with lots of character development in the backdrop of that universe. That's really how I see the prequel trilogy - an over-abundance of special effects with lots of poor acting. I don't even think Attack of the Clones' story was anything more than what the title already told you. The universe has been richly developed with the canon and expansion through books, films and video games. The special effects could be on the level of Serenity (film) over the Firefly (TV series). Those effects were enough for it to feel a high quality science fiction film and the budget was around $39 million - far easier to scale down than $100 million prequel budgets.

Also, I hate this fascination with '...complex and dark and adult.' It's like the tagline to most new shows nowadays. Let's insert mindless sex here and here so it becomes 'adult' and 'dark'. I'm not sure why they are even going for a period near the main films. A TV series set back a few thousand years ago (like the KOTOR games?) might work well and provide more room to manoeuvre. This sort of time period.

Perhaps they will have a few Jedi and attempt to do a Valkyrie style assassinate Vader (Hitler) plot. :awesome:

Mm, you'd be hard pressed to argue that the prequels didn't massively overrely on effects. The dialogue and plotting in the OT was never amazing, but you could tell they at least made an effort.

Yeah it's annoying when series are marketed as self-consciously 'dark and adult'. It manifests most annoyingly in True Blood, which is just the worst of the recent wave of mediocre grit-and-tits TV like Spartacus, The Tudors, etc. etc.; where the attempt to produce grown-up, mature television ironically just makes them look childish. The Star Wars show won't turn out like this, simply because Lucas has thus far kept the franchise entirely sterile wrt sex and violence (besides the weird obsession with severed limbs and the flambéed Anakin), and maintains that the series is for children. Probably why it won't go on HBO or anything like that (also the licence would cost silly money). Most likely they mean 'adult' in the way Empire was adult, which I'm totally on board with.

And they can't go for a KOTOR type setting simply because Lucas has a creative hand in it, and he doesn't acknowledge the EU as canon. He's happy to make money off it, but he probably has no idea who Revan, Kyle Katarn, etc. are.
Original post by such_a_lady
Saw War Horse today :awesome:

That's seriously all you're going to say? You're not even going to say if you thought it was good? :confused:
wonna give a friend of mine a good scare :biggrin: any1 recommend any super scary horror films? :smile:
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
That's seriously all you're going to say? You're not even going to say if you thought it was good? :confused:

Sorry, thought the eager face said it all :tongue:

I hate war films. I hate animal films. I loved War Horse. Granted, at time it was a bit too "I'm Spielberg and therefore this will be EPIC with EPIC MUZAK and EPIC SCENERY", and I thought the decision to portray Germans talking to EACH OTHER not by using the German and then putting subtitles, not by casting English actors speaking English but who were clearly German soldiers, but by casting German actors with very, very, very pronounced German accents to speak English amongst each other...like his way of saying, oh btw guys, listen to the accent, these are GERMANS (same for the French)...it was cringeworthy.

Apart from that, it was long, but not unpleasantly so. It required a certain degree of suspending belief, but it was heartwarming and enjoyable and I got very involved with the characters and the story :smile:
Original post by Abiraleft
Das Leben der Anderen

This is really good!
Original post by goldenfish
wonna give a friend of mine a good scare :biggrin: any1 recommend any super scary horror films? :smile:

It depends. If you want pretty basic, visceral scares, Event Horizon works, though it's a bad film. Additionally, Eden Lake freaked me right the **** out, and is a considerably better movie. If you want something a bit more surreal and psychological, I suggest Mulholland Drive. If you want existential horror, the kind of insidious, creeping terror that makes you question the value of art, love and all human life, then I strongly recommend Sex and the City 2.

I hate war films. I hate animal films. I loved War Horse. Granted, at time it was a bit too "I'm Spielberg and therefore this will be EPIC with EPIC MUZAK and EPIC SCENERY", and I thought the decision to portray Germans talking to EACH OTHER not by using the German and then putting subtitles, not by casting English actors speaking English but who were clearly German soldiers, but by casting German actors with very, very, very pronounced German accents to speak English amongst each other...like his way of saying, oh btw guys, listen to the accent, these are GERMANS (same for the French)...it was cringeworthy.

Apart from that, it was long, but not unpleasantly so. It required a certain degree of suspending belief, but it was heartwarming and enjoyable and I got very involved with the characters and the story :smile:

The oddest part for me was when the English soldier commented on how well the German spoke English. Up until that point I had no problem with them all speaking English and just assuming that they were speaking natively, but then at that point it really caused a moment of confusion when I wondered if all the foreigners had just spent the film practicing their English for some bizarre reason.
Original post by Phalanges
The oddest part for me was when the English soldier commented on how well the German spoke English. Up until that point I had no problem with them all speaking English and just assuming that they were speaking natively, but then at that point it really caused a moment of confusion when I wondered if all the foreigners had just spent the film practicing their English for some bizarre reason.

Exactly this! When did you see it?

Exactly this! When did you see it?

Saw it once in the middle of December and then again on Sunday. Absolutely loved it both times, I have to say.
Just watched Jurassic Park on Blu-Ray. Oh man was the grain/noise off-putting :frown:

At least I got to see it at the cinema last year.
Original post by Christien
Yeah The Conversation should be your priority. For my money, it's Coppola's best, and by a fair margin (which isn't to say I don't love Godfather, GFII, Apocalypse Now, etc.). Haven't heard of The Lives of Others. May have to check that out.

I saw The Conversation years ago, when I was way too young to appreciate, but remembered it later and enjoyed it a lot in retrospect. I should probably get around to watching it again properly.

I saw the theatrical production of War Horse at the National a while ago, which was absolutely fantastic. I'm intrigued to know how the film is in comparison.
Leon the Professional it was tonight. Didn't really like it :no:
Original post by S-man10

You ought to get banned! :tongue:
Tyrannosaur is some dark ****.

<3 Considine.

Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman, especially the latter, are great.
Original post by vitamortis
You ought to get banned! :tongue:

I expected an ultra cool french hitman who would say "bonjour" before shooting someone. I got a horny 12 year old girl who got of to holding guns and drinking milk :colonhash:
Reply 5419
Original post by S-man10

I wasn't too taken in by it either. :no: It was fairly good stylistically, but for most of the film, I was just waiting for Oldman's next scene. And I thought the dialogues were pretty terrible. :redface: From what I understand, a lot of Besson's (sp?) films are style-over-substance affairs (though not in the Transformers vein). :dontknow:

concubine
Tyrannosaur is some dark ****.

<3 Considine.

Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman, especially the latter, are great.

I really want to watch this. :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest