The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chester.
Because it's ridiculous for a 20-something graduate to simply return home and expect mum and dad to look after them as though they were a toddler again.
The 'love and respect' you give your parents doesn't pay for the food and electricity you consume. Similarly, the love and respect they gave you as a child didn't feed and clothe you. :wink:

No it isn't... nobody's saying they're spoonfeeding you, but why would they want to slow their own children down from paying off their debts. What sort of parents begrudge their kids having an education, coming home, and then omgggg using their paid for electricity!!!

Backwards.
I dont pay my parents anything, thats due to me not having a job yet and bieng a full time student. If i did have a job my parents would probably take atleast £150+ a month from me.
Original post by Sophie_girl
No it isn't... nobody's saying they're spoonfeeding you, but why would they want to slow their own children down from paying off their debts. What sort of parents begrudge their kids having an education, coming home, and then omgggg using their paid for electricity!!!

Backwards.

The parents aren't begrudging anything- they're just expecting that if an adult, regardless of blood relation, is going to live under their roof and eat the household food, then they should contribute to the upkeep of the house. It's hardly irrational. Some parents can't afford to take on their 20-something graduate and not have some sort of financial help.
Lol goreh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 224

Backwards.

I'll probably be in debt for a significant portion of my life, so by your logic I can just sponge off my parents for years instead of paying my own way? I don't think so.

It's all about growing up and taking responsibility. I've given my parents money since the age of 16 (although then it was only a small amount). My parents don't 'begrugde' me for coming back to theirs in the holidays, but ive said it once and i'll say it again....while i'm financially able to help out with bills/shopping, why wouldn't i? I give my parents only a fraction of what it actually costs to live.
Reply 225
I've never paid rent in a formal sort of way, but I help with things like buying groceries, shopping, cooking, cleaning etc. Just chipping in a bit with everything on a more casual basis I suppose and generally making a contribution to the household.

I don't really like the idea of my parents doing absolutely everything for me and paying for everything if I'm living at home and have my own income. I pay for all my own stuff, and throw the odd bit of cash my parents way if we're out for lunch for example, or if my mum's got no cash on her or whatever. Just like they would do for me really. We've got an alright balance going on I think.
(edited 12 years ago)
The parents aren't begrudging anything- they're just expecting that if an adult, regardless of blood relation, is going to live under their roof and eat the household food, then they should contribute to the upkeep of the house. It's hardly irrational. Some parents can't afford to take on their 20-something graduate and not have some sort of financial help.

Blood relation is entirely relevant though. You aren't a tenant?! If they genuinely need money and can't afford the upkeep then that's a different story - obviously i'd just give mine money if they were in trouble, but it's the monthly regular payments as soon as someone starts earning money or goes over 16 which I find crazy... because it's not just, 'oh we need an extra £100, can you help us?'.

Original post by .Scout.
I'll probably be in debt for a significant portion of my life, so by your logic I can just sponge off my parents for years instead of paying my own way? I don't think so.

It's all about growing up and taking responsibility. I've given my parents money since the age of 16 (although then it was only a small amount). My parents don't 'begrugde' me for coming back to theirs in the holidays, but ive said it once and i'll say it again....while i'm financially able to help out with bills/shopping, why wouldn't i? I give my parents only a fraction of what it actually costs to live.

It isn't 'sponging', as though you're a bother... it's a parent always providing somewhere for their kid if they need it. 16, what on earth. You wouldn't because you're immediate family.

We clearly have different ideas of what families do for each other. :dontknow:
I've got a lot of non Asian friends and they all pay their parents for rent. I was quite surprised to be honest! I couldn't understand why lol

I'm asian and parents wouldn't think twice to ask me for money :P
Blood relation is entirely relevant though. You aren't a tenant?! If they genuinely need money and can't afford the upkeep then that's a different story - obviously i'd just give mine money if they were in trouble, but it's the monthly regular payments as soon as someone starts earning money or goes over 16 which I find crazy... because it's not just, 'oh we need an extra £100, can you help us?'.

Contributing to the running of the house doesn't make you a tenant either. It's not like there are leases or eviction terms! It's just a responsible and considerate thing to do that when you're no longer in education and have a paying job that you pitch in towards the family home.
Contributing to the running of the house doesn't make you a tenant either. It's not like there are leases or eviction terms! It's just a responsible and considerate thing to do that when you're no longer in education and have a paying job that you pitch in towards the family home.

I disagree. Glad you like your system though and I, mine!
I disagree. Glad you like your system though and I, mine!

Whatever works for your situation, I guess. :biggrin:
Reply 231
Original post by Yoghurt
I pay my Dad £320 a month. Which is a lot in comparison to all my friends...

EDIT: I am in full time work though, I'm not a student

I don't usually care about the pos/neg rep I get, but I'd be interested to know why I got negged for this...
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
Lol goreh.

:biggrin: hahah
Reply 233
Paying rent to live with your parents in your house? Sounds a bit silly to me lol.....Your family, not a supplementary source of income.

Why would asians have to pay rent to their parents more than non-asians?

I'm asian and my parents would never ask me to pay rent to live in our 'collective' home, whether i'm 18 or 38.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've never been expected to pay rent to my mom when I'm at home. I do help her out with bills occasionally though so I guess its covered a bit there :smile:
Reply 235
Why do some people believe that their parents should financially support them into their 20's because they decide to live at home and not pay for halls or private accommodation?

I'm working through my gap year and I pay my dad £100 a week. It's just an appropriate thing to do seeing as I have chosen further education next year instead of getting a full time job and moving out.

Those who think giving their parents rent and money towards bill is ridiculous are probably the same people who have their phone bill payed for by "Daddy" and still get an allowance each week.
Original post by kanzaz
Paying rent to live with your parents in your house? Sounds a bit silly to me lol.....Your family, not a supplementary source of income.

By living at home, you are costing them money. (food, gas, water, electric, etc) Isn't it only fair you pay for those things too?
My uncle is 55. My Nan's a pensioner he works full time. She pays for his food then cooks it and pays all the bills. The least he could do is give her some rent after all he's technically classed as a longer. If she let him live their rent free. My aunts would be round in a flash expecting to live their rent free too.:eek:
Original post by Shawman
Why do some people believe that their parents should financially support them into their 20's because they decide to live at home and not pay for halls or private accommodation?

I'm working through my gap year and I pay my dad £100 a week. It's just an appropriate thing to do seeing as I have chosen further education next year instead of getting a full time job and moving out.

Those who think giving their parents rent and money towards bill is ridiculous are probably the same people who have their phone bill payed for by "Daddy" and still get an allowance each week.

Or not. It can come down to cultural differences.
Original post by Smiling...Rain
Nothing!
They pay me.

with love :biggrin:

I'd pay you with my p*&^s :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending