The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Akkuz
This thread has gotten busy, ey! For you guys, I share a couple of video's to brighten up your day.

I present to you, true Turkish raving: :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_chmqHMlqzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR_VhfxAnXU

Enjoy :biggrin:

The thread got busy because of WHO?
hmmm....:wink:
Original post by Hogwartz
It's my job :colone:
So what do you think :perv:

He told me he likes brunettes :yep:
and ...humans....who are girls...:ninja:

i think that my boyfriend of 2 1/2 yrs and i are already very happy thank you
Reply 822
Original post by minniiee
i think that my boyfriend of 2 1/2 yrs and i are already very happy thank you

LOL :eek:

Trust me that won't be stopping him from flirting with you, :wink:

So do you have turkish foods then like kebabs...i don't :sad:
LOL :eek:

Trust me that won't be stopping him from flirting with you, :wink:

So do you have turkish foods then like kebabs...i don't :sad:

kebabs in turkey are incredibly different to the ones made in england
in england they use offal
in turkey they do no
plus theres a lot more to turkish cuisine than just kebabs
i love turkish food
Reply 824
kebabs in turkey are incredibly different to the ones made in england
in england they use offal
in turkey they do no
plus theres a lot more to turkish cuisine than just kebabs
i love turkish food

Whats 'offal'?
And how does it differ? I've tasted one here, and it's just an average kebab in a hotdog kind of thing.

What else is the typical 'turkish' food?
Whats 'offal'?
And how does it differ? I've tasted one here, and it's just an average kebab in a hotdog kind of thing.

offal is the cast off meat (usually organs/bad cuts/hooves) etc
the bits that no one else wants basically
where as in turkey they're made with the proper meat.
oh my theres so much
typical breakfast = simit and pide breads (usually from the man walking down the road with a giant cart in the morning) jams and marmalades and honey (my nans speciality is orange marmalade and/or strawberry jam) slices/chunks of tomatos and mini cucumbers (usually skinned and salted) eriks (like miniature plums but green and firmer and not quite as sweet) cubes/slices of different cheeses (notably feta, kasar and this other one thats like cheese string in the fact that it tears only its not processed) olives, and slices of fried sucuk (like pepperoni or merguez but not)
sometimes various pastries such as poace (i dont know how its spelt)

lunch and dinner:
gozleme (like a giant hot wrap usually with cheese or meet filling)
lahmacun (if you live in london theres an amazing lahmacun restaurant in Dalston - its often described as turkish pizza only theres no cheese - just minced meat and spices but you add salad to the top when you eat it)
fesuliye (i think thats how you spell it) is a dish made from tomatoes and beans that i loooove that you can it cold or hot
borek cheese pastry that comes in various forms with various fillings (my favourite is sigara borek with fet parlsey and sucuk filling)
iyvasi tatlasi (or at least thats what my mum always called it) is a desert made from quince that i love but im not sure if its actually turkish
and humsi (again no idea how it's spelt) but its a tiny tiny fish, a bit like an anchovy, and im not sure if this is the only way to cook it but ive only ever seen it fried whole or with the heads chopped off and soemtimes dusted with a little flour to make a sort of batter and then theres a nack to peeling the meat away from the bones - it's very messy lol
kisir is a dish made from cracked bulghur wheat with a tomato ish paste and salad veg and my mum always serves it in a lettuce leaf instead of on a plate but again im not 100% sure of the origin of this dish
they have this ice cream thats sorta like elastic but ive forgotten its name
they have this soft drink called gazoz thats a bit like lemonade but tastes completely different
and theres ayran (but im not sure if thats only typical to turkey) which is a drink made from yoghurt
and efes the beer which apparently is similar in taste to stella
in general they eat a lot of fish chicken and lamb and a lot a lot of fruit and veg

theres loads more obviously but thats all i can think of atm
Reply 826
You should hook up with this guy here.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=229069
thats how he looks like. :colone:

lool you lil rat who asked you to be my cupid?! :P
Reply 827
oh my theres so much
typical breakfast = simit and pide breads (usually from the man walking down the road with a giant cart in the morning) jams and marmalades and honey (my nans speciality is orange marmalade and/or strawberry jam) slices/chunks of tomatos and mini cucumbers (usually skinned and salted) eriks (like miniature plums but green and firmer and not quite as sweet) cubes/slices of different cheeses (notably feta, kasar and this other one thats like cheese string in the fact that it tears only its not processed) olives, and slices of fried sucuk (like pepperoni or merguez but not)

lunch and dinner:
lahmacun (if you live in london theres an amazing lahmacun restaurant in Dalston - its often described as turkish pizza only theres no cheese - just minced meat and spices but you add salad to the top when you eat it)
fesuliye (i think thats how you spell it) is a dish made from tomatoes and beans that i loooove that you can it cold or hot
borek cheese pastry that comes in various forms with various fillings (my favourite is sigara borek with fet parlsey and sucuk filling)
iyvasi tatlasi (or at least thats what my mum always called it) is a desert made from quince that i love but im not sure if its actually turkish
and humsi (again no idea how it's spelt) but its a tiny tiny fish, a bit like an anchovy, and im not sure if this is the only way to cook it but ive only ever seen it fried whole or with the heads chopped off and soemtimes dusted with a little flour to make a sort of batter and then theres a nack to peeling the meat away from the bones - it's very messy lol
kisir is a dish made from cracked bulghur wheat with a tomato ish paste and salad veg and my mum always serves it in a lettuce leaf instead of on a plate but again im not 100% sure of the origin of this dish
they have this soft drink called gazoz thats a bit like lemonade but tastes completely different
and theres ayran (but im not sure if thats only typical to turkey) which is a drink made from yoghurt
in general they eat a lot of fish chicken and lamb and a lot a lot of fruit and veg

this girl knows her turkish food! rated!
Reply 828
Original post by Akkuz
This thread has gotten busy, ey! For you guys, I share a couple of video's to brighten up your day.

I present to you, true Turkish raving: :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_chmqHMlqzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR_VhfxAnXU

Enjoy :biggrin:

ahaha! :rofl2:
Original post by ibs137
this girl knows her turkish food! rated!

i've made myself so unbelievably hungry lol

it's only cos when i go to my nans she tells me im mal nourised and force feeds me all sorts of delicacies
shame i dont know how to cook any of them though :frown:
Whats 'offal'?

i forgot mucver (i really have no idea how this one is spelt) but its like a fried patty made from courgettes amongst either things
not my fave cos i dont like courgettes but my wee bro loooooves them
Reply 831
oh my theres so much

lunch and dinner:

how do you pronounce 'offall' also, i know what you are talking about now, because in some restaurants for burgers, they use like the left overs..

i forgot mucver (i really have no idea how this one is spelt) but its like a fried patty made from courgettes amongst either things
not my fave cos i dont like courgettes but my wee bro loooooves them

So you ARE scottish!!!

Original post by ibs137
lool you lil rat who asked you to be my cupid?! :P

I had to get you back somehow :rolleyes:

To be honest you probably liked this idea.
Reply 832

So you ARE scottish!!!

she could be irish, we say "wee" a lot in northern ireland. :smile:

and no bro.. no half-blood for me.. pure blood all the way init
Reply 833
Original post by ibs137

Are you pretending to be irish now are we? :console:
I won't fall for your lies ever again. NEVER!

Can you not critisize mixed raced people, because i am one my self! :angry:
Reply 834
Are you pretending to be irish now are we? :console:
I won't fall for your lies ever again. NEVER!

Can you not critisize mixed raced people, because i am one my self! :angry:

lol i am irish too but whateva dont belive me fam! :biggrin:

dont worry, by learning turkish and how to cook you can become more turkish and i might be willing to overlook your other half :smile:
Reply 835
Original post by ibs137
lol i am irish too but whateva dont belive me fam! :biggrin:

dont worry, by learning turkish and how to cook you can become more turkish and i might be willing to overlook your other half :smile:

Oh whatever, i don't even believe you're turkish now, you talk crap 24-7. :yep:

I don't want you :hand:
I'll have plenty of other Turkish and Italian people for me. :wink:
Reply 836
Oh whatever, i don't even believe you're turkish now, you talk crap 24-7. :yep:

I don't want you :hand:
I'll have plenty of other Turkish and Italian people for me. :wink:

ahah i can prove i'm turkish, i'm the one who knows turkish here you ffol you cant even speak a word of it! :biggrin:

yehh you keep thinking that :wink:
Reply 837
Original post by ibs137
ahah i can prove i'm turkish, i'm the one who knows turkish here you ffol you cant even speak a word of it! :biggrin:

yehh you keep thinking that :wink:

Okay, you probably are turkish. But whats 'ffol'.
Well i'm sure if you were in the same position of me, you would have been worse.
You can't blame me, so please stop criticising that i don't know anything about my culture.
how do you pronounce 'offall' also, i know what you are talking about now, because in some restaurants for burgers, they use like the left overs..

So you ARE scottish!!!

Original post by ibs137

like offle (off like to switch off a light n then an ul noise like at the end of possible)

and actually i live in essex/cambridgeshire....
Reply 839
Okay, you probably are turkish. But whats 'ffol'.
Well i'm sure if you were in the same position of me, you would have been worse.
You can't blame me, so please stop criticising that i don't know anything about my culture.

ahah eyy calm down love i was only joking! i gonna teach you turkish culture one step at a time dw so you can find your dream turkish guy :tongue: i even repped yoouu feel better?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest