The Student Room Group

AQA HUMAN Biology Unit 1 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kelz
Oh god. I got confused on the stupid mobile phone bacteria one. The simple table bit confused me. XD Umm I have never heard of Oedema coming up before this so that took me by surprise. The pregnancy one made me feel like I was just saying the obvious stuff. :s-smilie:

-The phone bacteria one was so random :/.
-Pregnancy one, I understood the concept, but it was just so....weird and I didn't really think it was worth 5 marks FML :frown:. What did you write?!

Original post by Alice321
can anyone explain the question about the sodium chloride solutions and blood being added or whatever it was?!

I thought it had something to do with Water Potentials and Osmosis, so I just stated the obvious? :s-smilie: Didn't really understand what they were on about. Did you say anything about the precipitate thing formed? :s-smilie:, I didn't understand what that had to do with it at all :frown:
Reply 61
Original post by Doctor.
-
I thought it had something to do with Water Potentials and Osmosis, so I just stated the obvious? :s-smilie: Didn't really understand what they were on about. Did you say anything about the precipitate thing formed? :s-smilie:, I didn't understand what that had to do with it at all :frown:

Haha same, im pretty sure I got it the wrong way around but said the higher concentration of sodium chloride had a lower water potential then the blood so water left the red blood cells through osmosis. didnt put anything else as i didnt know how to link it
Reply 62
Original post by Kelz
Oh god. I got confused on the stupid mobile phone bacteria one. The simple table bit confused me. XD Umm I have never heard of Oedema coming up before this so that took me by surprise. The pregnancy one made me feel like I was just saying the obvious stuff. :s-smilie:

what were the questions on the mobile phone bacteria again? :confused:
Reply 63
Haha same, im pretty sure I got it the wrong way around but said the higher concentration of sodium chloride had a lower water potential then the blood so water left the red blood cells through osmosis. didnt put anything else as i didnt know how to link it

Absolutely hated that question, being honest...I kinda found this paper harder than the June 2011 paper :/.

The bacteria one was all about Sterile stuff etc etc. :frown:
Reply 64
Original post by Doctor.
Absolutely hated that question, being honest...I kinda found this paper harder than the June 2011 paper :/.

The bacteria one was all about Sterile stuff etc etc. :frown:

I hope the grade boundaries will be a bit lower then. Barely did any revision for this so can definitely see myself doing retakes :colondollar: how is HBI02 in comparison?
Reply 65
I hope the grade boundaries will be a bit lower then. Barely did any revision for this so can definitely see myself doing retakes :colondollar: how is HBI02 in comparison?

HBIO2 is my <3. Seriously comparef to this, HBIO2 is like, you can understand it and when you get something right. you're like **** YES!

HBIO1 is hard, but being honest I revised practically everything and tried everything for HBIO1 and nothing could have prepared me for the sort of bullcrap they put into it.
Reply 66
Original post by Doctor.
Not Human Biology lol :biggrin:

How did you find it? :smile:

i sat the AQA Bio1 exam today...first question was the emulsion test!
Reply 67
Original post by Doctor.
HBIO2 is my <3. Seriously comparef to this, HBIO2 is like, you can understand it and when you get something right. you're like **** YES!

HBIO1 is hard, but being honest I revised practically everything and tried everything for HBIO1 and nothing could have prepared me for the sort of bullcrap they put into it.

Ahh good thats how I find chemistry, everything is logical and makes sense. Have to actually remember all the processes in human bio, im really not good at that :angry:
Reply 68
Ahh good thats how I find chemistry, everything is logical and makes sense. Have to actually remember all the processes in human bio, im really not good at that :angry:

Most of them were useless as AQA didn't actually bother testing us, instead they gave us stupid questions.... :s-smilie:
Reply 69
Original post by Doctor.
Most of them were useless as AQA didn't actually bother testing us, instead they gave us stupid questions.... :s-smilie:

I know! I was expecting something on TB and a lot more on the heart, something I actually knew about :frown:
Reply 70
I know! I was expecting something on TB and a lot more on the heart, something I actually knew about :frown:

^the real Human Biology. Seriously stupid questions, the hCG one, okay it was a good question but tbh...for 5 marks, should have really been 1/2 max :/. what do you think you got? Marks wise? :tongue:. The grade boundaries better be low. :/
Reply 71
Original post by Doctor.
^the real Human Biology. Seriously stupid questions, the hCG one, okay it was a good question but tbh...for 5 marks, should have really been 1/2 max :/. what do you think you got? Marks wise? :tongue:. The grade boundaries better be low. :/

Yeah such a waste of time learning the cardiac cycle etc. Probably about half if im lucky haha, definitely worst exam for me so far, you?
Reply 72
Yeah such a waste of time learning the cardiac cycle etc. Probably about half if im lucky haha, definitely worst exam for me so far, you?

Only exam so far and erm.... DEFIANTLY the worst. Just hope everyone found it really hard :frown:
I thought the pregnancy question was unfair for AS students, as it is covered in unit 4!
This exam actually took me by suprise lol For the NaCl question I wrote that the higher conc of NaCl made the solution more hypertonic so water moved out of the cells by osmosis down a concentration gradient. It turned a straw colour because the blood plasma is straw coloured and all the cells had been taken out of the blood by the centrifuge. To be honest, I have no idea how the pellet was larger in the higher conc of NaCl solution as I would've though the blood would've lost more water making it shrink. The pellet size confused me, it seemed backwards :s-smilie:. The pregnancy test was about monoclonal antibodies and just saying how they work, no idea how you can get 5 marks from it but there we go. The mobile phone question was so random the only thing I could think to say was they were concerned because the bacteria could make her ill, they had multiplied rapidly etc etc. To be honest I weren't happy with my overall performance :/
Original post by Doctor.

Original post by Doctor.
-The phone bacteria one was so random :/.
-Pregnancy one, I understood the concept, but it was just so....weird and I didn't really think it was worth 5 marks FML :frown:. What did you write?!

Actually, it was to do with Pressure. It was to do with Sodium Chloride Being A Salt and salt causes High blood pressure and then that does something to force water (Or whatever it is) into tissue fluid causing Odema ( I think). I Wrote about water potential as well but who knows, there may be a mark for it. Its only when I was walking out from the exam that I realised. I Only ever seem to remember everything towards the end of exams. Still, they may lower these grade boundaries. At least I hope they do
Reply 76
Original post by AnimeWizard
Actually, it was to do with Pressure. It was to do with Sodium Chloride Being A Salt and salt causes High blood pressure and then that does something to force water (Or whatever it is) into tissue fluid causing Odema ( I think). I Wrote about water potential as well but who knows, there may be a mark for it. Its only when I was walking out from the exam that I realised. I Only ever seem to remember everything towards the end of exams. Still, they may lower these grade boundaries. At least I hope they do

I am pretty sure it had something to do with water potential considering the question previous to it was the definition of Osmosis? :s-smilie: idk.

Original post by sparklingstar101
I thought the pregnancy question was unfair for AS students, as it is covered in unit 4!

hCG is explained a little in the Nelson Thorns book for As and it is mentioned on the AS spec, but still was unfair :/

Original post by TerminalVelocity
This exam actually took me by suprise lol For the NaCl question I wrote that the higher conc of NaCl made the solution more hypertonic so water moved out of the cells by osmosis down a concentration gradient. It turned a straw colour because the blood plasma is straw coloured and all the cells had been taken out of the blood by the centrifuge. To be honest, I have no idea how the pellet was larger in the higher conc of NaCl solution as I would've though the blood would've lost more water making it shrink. The pellet size confused me, it seemed backwards :s-smilie:. The pregnancy test was about monoclonal antibodies and just saying how they work, no idea how you can get 5 marks from it but there we go. The mobile phone question was so random the only thing I could think to say was they were concerned because the bacteria could make her ill, they had multiplied rapidly etc etc. To be honest I weren't happy with my overall performance :/

The NaCl one, that's what I thought! It must have to do with something to do with Osmosis since the question previous asked for the definition. I guess anything related would be fine :/
Reply 77
It mustve been water potential because the whole section was on osmosis..
Reply 78
Whats peoples guesstimate UMS boundaries then...
Reply 79
Original post by cmspgran
It mustve been water potential because the whole section was on osmosis..

Yeah i just cant see the link between "Pressure. It was to do with Sodium Chloride Being A Salt and salt causes High blood pressure" :s-smilie: Maybe I just did so bad that it's left me mentally screwed and im talking crap :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest