The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medicine Man
:coma:

They are. I used to do that after my A Level exams. Now, people just tend to gravitate towards the nearest Spoons.

Post-exam nap -> post-nap fun times? :tongue:

I remember this time last year I was probably asleep, had finished phase 1 oscpe and phase 1 written exams.

Original post by Fusilero
Host files, classy. I had TSR, Facebook and Reddit blocked till... 6 minutes ago. :holmes:

I've never really blocked anything (even a facebook deactivation only lasted a day), but I don't go on TSR much really so not an issue there. We have a facebook group for phase 1 and phase 2 where you post questions and other medics answer. Was incredibly helpful as you could discuss things (also good at finding other desperate medics to discuss spinal tract lesions with at 5am in the morning).
(edited 12 years ago)
I just realised today - ive never scrubbed up for surgery ever.
Reply 8202
Original post by fairy spangles

My day today:

8.25am
Surgeon->Me:"Well are you gonna scrub up then?. I'm going to need someone to assist me."
Me->Nurse: "How do I get scrubbed in?"
Original post by Phryx
My day today:

8.25am
Surgeon->Me:"Well are you gonna scrub up then?. I'm going to need someone to assist me."

Someone else in the same boat as me!
However - what year are you in?
Reply 8204
Someone else in the same boat as me!
However - what year are you in?

3rd year.
Original post by Phryx
My day today:

8.25am

We did it once during year 11 (I don't know why but we visited a hospital and did the whole washing technique up to your elbows, under nails etc and then someone else put the surgical gown on us - because if you put it on yourself your gloves get contaminated (I think). Anyhow reason why I remember this is because the surgeon said we could keep the scrubs but our teacher promptly said 'no ones taking the Scrubs home') :mad: I wanted free scrubs!! :frown:

It takes like 10 minutes to get ready for surgery properly.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan

We did it once during year 11 (I don't know why but we visited a hospital and did the whole washing technique up to your elbows, under nails etc and then someone else put the surgical gown on us - because if you put it on yourself your gloves get contaminated (I think). Anyhow reason why I remember this is because the surgeon said we could keep the scrubs but our teacher promptly said 'no ones taking the Scrubs home') :mad: I wanted free scrubs!! :frown:

It takes like 10 minutes to get ready for surgery properly.

You put the gloves on after you put the gown on, so there's no way it could contaminate the gloves. The only thing somebody else needs to do with the gown is hold the tag whilst you spin round so it can be tied up

I scrubbed up once in module 2 (ortho) and there wasn't really any need to scrub up when I was in plastics cause you can stand closer to the table anyway.
Original post by RollerBall
What do you guys do when you're sat in MDT meetings and the like? I've been in a few now at my MedSoc and I don't really do much apart from look intersted and wonder what the **** all these acronyms mean. I've sat in a general weekly child protection meeting (was really just organising check ups) and a general monthly meeting and a few others.

Obviously I speak when addressed to but that doesn't happen very often. Usually just to explain something breifly at the begining. I don't sit there like an autistic child and I do interact socially (laugh, etc) I just don't say very much at all which is odd for me, mostly because I think it would be out of place for me to say something usually.

What do you do?

Unfortunately you just have to sit it out. You have to look interested or at least pay attention, because if someone notices your daydreaming etc you are bound to get pimped by someone. Remember, **** flows downhill...will probs be like the ward clerk quizzing you on CPS file storage systems or something
Such a good day, did a day as a clinical student and followed a final year student around. Can't wait to get these first 2 years out of the way!
two 3hr essay exams tomorrow, DO NOT WANT :frown:

:shock: The first time I went into theatre I scrubbed up and held a retractor. However, that was the only time I've scrubbed up and I've been in theatre a few more times since then.
Original post by Lantana
:shock: The first time I went into theatre I scrubbed up and held a retractor. However, that was the only time I've scrubbed up and I've been in theatre a few more times since then.

See ive never understood the appeal of standing for hours holding a retractor!
I dont see how you would learn anything and did you not get bored?
At today's MDTs I actually had stuff to add :O :O :O
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
:hi:

You regretting not coming to UEA yet? :p:

A week before this horrible exam I've got coming up, yes:frown: How are you - enjoying UEA? I shall start using this site again:biggrin:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
You put the gloves on after you put the gown on, so there's no way it could contaminate the gloves. The only thing somebody else needs to do with the gown is hold the tag whilst you spin round so it can be tied up

I scrubbed up once in module 2 (ortho) and there wasn't really any need to scrub up when I was in plastics cause you can stand closer to the table anyway.

That would make more sense, maybe we put the gowns on after washing hands - but I remember someone else held the gown open so we could just push our hands in the sleeves bit and then they tied it on for us. But it feels like you're wearing so much, and to think of doing quite delicate surgery in all that is a bit :s-smilie:.

Did you get involved in any of the surgery?
Original post by crazylemon
I was asked in the middle of a surgery, 'can you scrub in' as they needed another assistant Having never been taught I couldn't though and it wasn't the best time to be taught :tongue:

I need to book my scrubbing sessions but can't until the 16th...

Nah, it's all about learning on the trot.

Seeing cases with a lovely surgical registrar turned into scrubing to assist with a case of surgical emphysema - absolultly classic case with gas tracking through the retroperitoneum. I have no love of surgery, but that was awesome.
See ive never understood the appeal of standing for hours holding a retractor!
I dont see how you would learn anything and did you not get bored?

Neither do I, I have no intentions of becoming a surgeon. I was just surprised that you managed to get so far along without scrubbing in at least once. I haven't actually been in any massively long surgeries, so I think I held a retractor for about 15 mins. You learn stuff by getting drilled by the consultant :frown: I have got bored when I've seen the same procedure done several times in a row, but mostly everything is new and changing.
That would make more sense, maybe we put the gowns on after washing hands - but I remember someone else held the gown open so we could just push our hands in the sleeves bit and then they tied it on for us. But it feels like you're wearing so much, and to think of doing quite delicate surgery in all that is a bit :s-smilie:.

Maybe that's because they knew it was your first time or something? Usually you would be expected to gown yourself. Mask on, wash arms, dry arms, gown, gloves, get someone to velcro the back of the gown

Well I mainly held the kidney dish and passed over various bits of equipment/put drills into the drill :dontknow: Although I did get play with the bits of sawn off bone. The tibial plateau was awesome :biggrin:
Reply 8219
Last day in Hong Kong :cry:

Just had to be right after the night I find a club with open bar for 20 quid entry :facepalm:

I'll finally be back in the same timezone as you guys tho! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending