The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
Or not. It can come down to cultural differences.

Well calling it ridiculous is ignorant of the family values of other cultures then!
Original post by Shawman
Well calling it ridiculous is ignorant of the family values of other cultures then!

It's also ignorant to make sweeping statements about phone bills and allowances.
Reply 242
Original post by OU Student
By living at home, you are costing them money. (food, gas, water, electric, etc) Isn't it only fair you pay for those things too?

No, your family. There is a bond between you, that is greater than the bond between a tenant and a landlord. You do things for your parents, and they do things for you. Neither, you or your parents ask money for these things, as your family and your relationship is not based around money.
Original post by kanzaz
No, your family. There is a bond between you, that is greater than the bond between a tenant and a landlord. You do things for your parents, and they do things for you. Neither, you or your parents ask money for these things, as your family and your relationship is not based around money.

Spot on.
Original post by kanzaz

You've missed my point...
Reply 245
Original post by OU Student
You've missed my point...

You've missed my point.
Original post by kanzaz

Which is why most parents won't charge what you would expect to pay if you actually moved out, just a small contribution. Is it really fair on your parents to expect them to pay for you once you are an adult with the means to support yourself?
Original post by RIISE
I'm living in halls at the moment but have decided next year to move back to my parents. I've heard £200 a month is about right but i'd like to know what others pay.

30p
Original post by StacFace
Which is why most parents won't charge what you would expect to pay if you actually moved out, just a small contribution. Is it really fair on your parents to expect them to pay for you once you are an adult with the means to support yourself?

It varies from culture to culture . . . . my gf is asian and in their culture its unheard of. They are very family orientated and kids are expected to return the favour when their parents are older. I'm from an italian background and our family culture is similar in this sense.

I understand that helping parents out if money is tight... but thats another issue.
The idea of rent to parents is weird because they're your parents. If you wanna take care of your parents, do the housekeeping etc. How many people here who will pay rent will actually turn back and visit there parents regularly and take care of them when they are all old and frail.

My parents would never expect 'rent' from me. They'd expect me to help out around the house, pay for the groceries (and that's if I go alone) and look after them when they're old. I think that's pretty fair and we're family you don't expect money you expect to be loved and cared for. Handing over a wad of cash doesn't show anyone how much you love them.
Reply 250
Original post by carbondummy
The idea of rent to parents is weird because they're your parents. If you wanna take care of your parents, do the housekeeping etc. How many people here who will pay rent will actually turn back and visit there parents regularly and take care of them when they are all old and frail.

My parents would never expect 'rent' from me. They'd expect me to help out around the house, pay for the groceries (and that's if I go alone) and look after them when they're old. I think that's pretty fair and we're family you don't expect money you expect to be loved and cared for. Handing over a wad of cash doesn't show anyone how much you love them.

It's got nothing to do with love and just because I give my parents money, doesn't mean I wont care for them in thier old age. I don't understand what you are getting at :lolwut:
I give my parents money because I understand that :
1. I'm old enough to provide for myself - I'm an adult now, they no longer NEED to provide for me.
2. That my upkeep costs money. They have provided for me my whole life, now I'm earning my own money, I should pay my own way so that their financial situation is a little easier. I'm not a child anymore.
(edited 12 years ago)
£100 a month!

£25 a week :-) Itcovers bills and my mother also pays for the food!
Think its a bargain!
If your parents are much less well off than you, or if they would have rented out the room in their house that you're using had you not been there, or if it's otherwise particularly inconvenient for them to have you there, then I can see why you should really be paying them rent to compensate. Or if they don't actually own the house and are renting it themselves, then maybe you should contribute to that rather than expecting them to pay your rent for you.

But otherwise, I'd never pay my parents rent, nor expect my children to pay me rent. Part of the family relationship is being able to expect them to do things for you, and being expected to do things for them - and I think that letting them live under your roof just comes under that relationship. There's a difference between living in your parents' house, and living in a landlord's home - just as there is a difference between going over to your parents' house for dinner, and eating out at a restaurant - or getting a lift somewhere with your parents, and taking a taxi etc.
Reply 253
Call Childline.
None? I would be all for it if I'd just left uni apart from that its just wrong to be 16-17 paying to live with your parents lol...
Original post by .Scout.
It's got nothing to do with love and just because I give my parents money, doesn't mean I wont care for them in thier old age. I don't understand what you are getting at :lolwut:
I give my parents money because I understand that :
1. I'm old enough to provide for myself - I'm an adult now, they no longer NEED to provide for me.
2. That my upkeep costs money. They have provided for me my whole life, now I'm earning my own money, I should pay my own way so that their financial situation is a little easier. I'm not a child anymore.

Some people in this thread were implying its a way of showing that you care for your parents. I guess I should have said if they are in a financial situation then yeah fair enough, who wouldn't help family. But if parents are just asking for the money even though they can afford to do without it then it just seems selfish.

I didn't say that we're not old enough to provide for ourselves but that can be shown in other ways. Why is there this concept of rent in the family, I don't understand that, it implies that you're just a tenant in the household.
Original post by StacFace

My point exactly. Thank you.
Reply 257
Original post by sarahthegemini
I think you're missing the point. I bet there are a lot of parents who wouldn't make their child pay rent if they could afford it but in this economic state, chances are they can't afford to to do it "for love"

But if you've been caring for a child for 18+ years, surely you can afford to do it for another few years whilst they're in University also. It's not like you suddenly become a huge burden on them. As long as you can pay for your own travel and Uni supplies and nights out then I don't see why your parents finicial situation would change.
Original post by Menakshelatte
YOU PAY RENT YO YOUR PARENTS??
what has the world come to...

neg rep me all you want..i asked my mum if she would take rent from me she looked at me as if i was crazy..
maybe it's different with asian families..
all of who is neg repping me have stingy parents.

I'm Asian and my parents would never make me pay rent. The idea of paying rent to my parents is very foreign to me. HOWEVER, it's not like I wouldn't contribute to food and stuff. I can't just eat and eat and eat and never replenish the supplies myself... but rent? My parents would look at me like I were nuts too.
i have to pay a quarter of whatever i earn

Latest

Trending

Trending