The Student Room Group

Peninsula dentistry. . 2011 /2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Aww I know it's driving me mad not knowing aswell, did they say they were having the meeting to decide who gets a place on the 15th? And then I guess we find out nearer end of jan?! Oh so nerve-wracking, good luck everyone!
Original post by gibsoni10
Aww I know it's driving me mad not knowing aswell, did they say they were having the meeting to decide who gets a place on the 15th? And then I guess we find out nearer end of jan?! Oh so nerve-wracking, good luck everyone!

Can't even tell what was said on the day mate! The sooner I find out about the outcomes the better! The wait seem to be taking years TBH. To top it all up, Liverpool GEP has gone so quiet I am actually tempted to drop in tomorrow on my way to the library and try to get some infor re: GEP interviews, or I'll drop in on my lunch break because the dent faculty is only few feet from the hospital I work in, can't even book my hols yet till this is all over!! Grrrrrr!

Sorry bro, I tapped on a negative rating accidentally, tried to reverse it but couldn't! Otherwise no hard feelings therefore please don't take it personal. It's this bleeding touch screen thing,,
Reply 163
Lol don't worry about it, i didn't even notice them! Good luck about Liverpool, I applied there but am in Thailand now so couldn't make an interview (if they gave me one of course lol- looks a bit bleak now!) :-D
Reply 164

I don't think it was the 15th as it falls on a sunday i think they mentioned 'mid-January', so im guessing from next week???
Reply 165
Lol yeah I think your right, don't know why I clung on to the 15th..maybe in my head that was mid January! Either way it feels like years away..
Reply 166
Hey guys, iv just found out that Barts have cancelled their Gep dentistry programme, shocking news apparently due to some eu legislation stating dental degrees should be 5years, i was wondering how would this affect peninsula prospective/current students?
Original post by sarabds
Hey guys, iv just found out that Barts have cancelled their Gep dentistry programme, shocking news apparently due to some eu legislation stating dental degrees should be 5years, i was wondering how would this affect peninsula prospective/current students?

Thanks for posting that. I just read about this on the other dentistry graduate thread. Seems bizarrre if the legislation has been around since 2005. Would be a real shame if all four year courses were scrapped.
Reply 168
Peninsula and UCLan opened after 2005, did none of them think to confirm beforehand rather than ignoring it. :angry:
Reply 169
exactly, since 2005 and someone decides to read the legislation now?
I hope they manage to change this legislation as i think graduates have proved they have the academic ability, motivation, dedication to be able to do a 4year fast track course. Im feelin bad for those that applied to Barts, and hope no other dental schools decide to cancel their programmes
Reply 170
Original post by sarabds

how did you find this out??
will it affect our application this year then??
Reply 171
Original post by ap32g09
how did you find this out??
will it affect our application this year then??

i found out from another thread "graduate entry dentistry 2012", there's a discussion going on about it.
it looks like it will affect this cycle, either they will simply withdraw the 4year courses or try and incorporate the VT year into the programme to make it comply with this eu legislation or there's always a possibility of the legislation getting changed??? i don't think it's looking good for us graduates
Reply 172
It's a bit silly to open a dental school that only runs 4yr courses if legislation doesn't permit... Interviews were later this year maybe this was why...?
Reply 173
Original post by maggots
It's a bit silly to open a dental school that only runs 4yr courses if legislation doesn't permit... Interviews were later this year maybe this was why...?

very silly indeed, i don't think they realise that this is messing around with peoples lives, this situation should never have come about in the first place
Reply 174
has anyone actually spoke to pcmd about this? and if it will delay the outcomes of the interviews
Ah brilliant. Are the goalposts moving again!
Reply 176
Original post by cavvic
has anyone actually spoke to pcmd about this? and if it will delay the outcomes of the interviews

Managed to ring PCMD this morning and was told that they are maybe going to try and make offers by the end of the month but they do have until march time (UCAS deadline) to make offers and also have some more interviews in Feb
Reply 177
Original post by sarabds
Managed to ring PCMD this morning and was told that they are maybe going to try and make offers by the end of the month but they do have until march time (UCAS deadline) to make offers and also have some more interviews in Feb

this wait is killing me as it is, really hope we dont have to wait until march!!
From my understanding, the CED (Council of European Dentists) met in 2011 to amend the legislation from 2005. Because of the way it is currently worded, it is possible that a student could be qualified after 5 years of part-time study. This is clearly not the case at Peninsula and within the UK but has paved the way for the accelerated 4 year course which saves money and has been proven to qualify the same quality of dentist.

Unfortunately, the wording of the new amendments would mean that a dental course has to run for 5 years and must be a minimum of 5000 hours in length which would affect the 4 year courses. So based on the current legislation, the 4 year course is completely valid so the universities aren't at fault, it just so happens that if the changes go ahead, it will be compulsory for a course to be run as a 5 year course.

Hope this clears things up.
Reply 179
Original post by Ballaholic
From my understanding, the CED (Council of European Dentists) met in 2011 to amend the legislation from 2005. Because of the way it is currently worded, it is possible that a student could be qualified after 5 years of part-time study. This is clearly not the case at Peninsula and within the UK but has paved the way for the accelerated 4 year course which saves money and has been proven to qualify the same quality of dentist.

Unfortunately, the wording of the new amendments would mean that a dental course has to run for 5 years and must be a minimum of 5000 hours in length which would affect the 4 year courses. So based on the current legislation, the 4 year course is completely valid so the universities aren't at fault, it just so happens that if the changes go ahead, it will be compulsory for a course to be run as a 5 year course.

Hope this clears things up.

this ammendment needs to be changed to 4000 hrs. Also this wait is killin moi :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest