The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Netflix's website pre-signup election is misleading. It makes it look like complete **** but it's got some decent stuff if you sign up for the free trial. The TV shows include Breaking Bad, Prison Break, The Office, Heroes, Firefly, Dexter and Spooks. There's a few good documentaries in there as well. The film selection however is lacklustre at the moment.

My biggest complaint is the lack of HD to people with connection speeds 'under 5mbps'. I don't think I've ever reached such speeds. Is it my fault? I don't know. I have little trouble streaming HD content from other services. It just looks like complete **** on normal quality. It doesn't even have half decent (non-HD) quality for the content I've had a look at.
Lovefilm's better, though I guess Netflix is more concerned with streaming.
Trailer for new Wes Anderson film!
Original post by Phalanges
So I was casually watching Layer Cake again, as you do, when all of a sudden holy **** that's Tom Hardy! My adoration of this film has gone up even further.

thanks for the suggestion. Layer Cake it maybe tonight
I just finished watching Black Swan, and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! This is what film is about! An absolute ****ing religious experience!
Original post by vitamortis
I just finished watching Black Swan, and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! This is what film is about! An absolute ****ing religious experience!

^ still need to see black swan. Watched a film called brotherhood about american fraternities, fairly low budget but found it pretty good
Remember Me, Like Minds and Never Let Me Go are my favourites. lol I cry at every single film I've seen. :puppyeyes:

<3 x
Original post by lukejoshjedi
^ still need to see black swan. Watched a film called brotherhood about american fraternities, fairly low budget but found it pretty good

I hope it blows your mind! It's a fantastic film, and I hope you enjoy it! And I shall check out Brotherhood!
Just took a break from revision to watch The Spirit and regret doing so.
Original post by Hugo Rune

The Sin City style superhero film with a noticeable overabundance of attractive women? What did you not like about it? It was a fairly medicore film. Whenever I think of The Spirit, I think of Sin City and how much of a superior film that was by comparison. I really like that style of film making though. The only other films that come to mind with that style are Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Watchmen and 300 (to some extent).
(edited 12 years ago)

Now watch some Lynch for a much more sublime blowing of the mind.

ironic you say that :colonhash:
Anyone tried Netflix out for the PS3? Must say, it's pretty good so far. I've used it in America and it is amazing there so I can't wait until it properly lifts off here.
Whenever someone recommends a Lynch film, they should always add a disclaimer in their post. :pierre:
Original post by Hugo Rune

That film is terrible. Absolutely **** in every way.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Whenever someone recommends a Lynch film, they should always add a disclaimer in their post. :pierre:

Takes away from the fun. :wink:
Reply 5456
Original post by Madjackismad
Anyone tried Netflix out for the PS3? Must say, it's pretty good so far. I've used it in America and it is amazing there so I can't wait until it properly lifts off here.

I want to but the selection seems terrible atm (aside from TV shows).
Original post by Tom B.
I want to but the selection seems terrible atm (aside from TV shows).

The selection is not terrible, there's a few really good movies in there. Watched Super Size Me last night for the first time in like 7 years. Proves me right, fast food eaters are suckers. :colonhash:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
The Sin City style superhero film with a noticeable overabundance of attractive women? What did you not like about it? It was a fairly medicore film. Whenever I think of The Spirit, I think of Sin City and how much of a superior film that was by comparison. I really like that style of film making though. The only other films that come to mind with that style are Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Watchmen and 300 (to some extent).

That's the one. Was expecting something of a similar standard to Sin City, which is definitely a better film in every department. I think the script of The Spirit was the worst thing though - absolutely dire... It is a style I enjoy watching also, just haven't had any experience apart from the two mentioned. Will have to source out the four you've mentioned (I really should've seen 300 and Watchmen already :colondollar:).

Original post by Colonel.

Agreed!
Original post by Colonel.

Except that it looks really cool, and it has Samuel L. Jackson dressed as an SS Colonel.

Quick Reply

Latest