The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lordvulture
If there was anyone bad at maths, it'd be her... i'd say she's the average mathematician who you'll be impressed with if she gets an A* in single maths after some hardwork... i think there was some first-principle calculus wasn't there? I can't imagine you doing worse than her on those (having seen your work on maths problems) I strongly suspect that she got in over you because they are more impressed with female economists...

No :noway:
Original post by Tomatochuckers

its hard to believe, but its true...

I don't have any solid statistics to prove to you... but I think you can judge the amount of female economists applying, and the amount that gets in... I've met about 80 Cambridge economists (from my interview, UCL open day, and people I already know), more if you add people in the student room, there are only 3 female economists I know, none of them are particularly outstanding, but they all got in

If you were the director of studies, and you just spent you day interviewing a whole bunch of guys, and there's one girl who is quite good, would you not be at least slightly biased?

I don't have any solid statistics to prove to you... but I think you can judge the amount of female economists applying, and the amount that gets in... I've met about 80 Cambridge economists (from my interview, UCL open day, and people I already know), more if you add people in the student room, there are only 3 female economists I know, none of them are particularly outstanding, but they all got in

If you were the director of studies, and you just spent you day interviewing a whole bunch of guys, and there's one girl who is quite good, would you not be at least slightly biased?

Espiecally if you were a female DoS.
Original post by alex_hk90
I was just interested to see if the PS might be the reason why you haven't got more offers yet.

Well, the LSE, UCL offers seem to be coming in dribs and drabs. Also not really sure what Warwick are up to. Don't think it was the P.S. :s-smilie:
Original post by Tomatochuckers

Don't know how I keep stumbling onto this thread but:

It may not be exactly the same for Economics, but in the Cambridge Admissions handbook it says to go out of your way to try to accept females into maths, as they are a minority in that case. As in that should give them some extra points.

I don't think so, no.

Original post by WalkerPrince
Well, the LSE, UCL offers seem to be coming in dribs and drabs. Also not really sure what Warwick are up to. Don't think it was the P.S. :s-smilie:

Warwick have always been slow. Good luck in any case!
Original post by 94george94
Not to mention decreasing the power of trade unions that obscure the natural interaction of labour markets to the detriment of the economy as a whole.

Monopsony? Trade unions aren't always a bad thing and can act as a counterbalance to monopsony. But when they just strike and strike...:angry:
Reply 7287
i reckon warwick offers are gonna start coming in next week

dunno about LSE and Warwick, but UCL did their open day based on postcode, so if you live far away from the university, you are fine!
Espiecally if you were a female DoS.

oh that explains it even more...
Reply 7290
Original post by Tateco
3 months no offers :redface:

it's better than rejections! they're keeping the best for the end! its UCAS deadline on sunday so probably by next week we will all have updates!:smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
I don't think so, no.

might depend on the individual director of studies, but I think most DoSes would prefer not to have an all male crew of economists - especially for those colleges accepting more than 4 or 5, its just my own speculation anyway :P
Anyone take the M2 paper today?
dunno about LSE and Warwick, but UCL did their open day based on postcode, so if you live far away from the university, you are fine!

How do you know this?

What?
Original post by jamiepango
How do you know this?

Original post by Mr Inquisitive
What?

well someone at the open day asked the guy who chaired the open day and he said that it was to people around london - they give others a bit more notice to travel down to london for the open day, this is confirmed by the fact that the people I know who went to the open day including myself had a london address down on ucas.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7296
Original post by Tateco
3 months no offers :redface:

Deadline's this week mate, I'm sure offers will be flying out like hotcakes :wink:
well someone at the open day asked the guy who chaired the open day and he said that it was to people around london - they give others a bit more notice to travel down to london for the open day, this is confirmed by the fact that the people I know who went to the open day including myself had a london address down on ucas.

I see, that's very interesting. Thanks for letting us know :smile:

Can I ask whether these open day invitations are for anyone who has applied or are they just for those applicants who UCL are thinking of giving offers ?
I think some people previously posted that UCL said that they will give them an offer only if they come to the open day, so does that mean that UCL are currently only giving offers out to those who live in London ?
Reply 7299
Original post by الجبر
Can I ask whether these open day invitations are for anyone who has applied or are they just for those applicants who UCL are thinking of giving offers ?
I think some people previously posted that UCL said that they will give them an offer only if they come to the open day, so does that mean that UCL are currently only giving offers out to those who live in London ?

If you go to the open day, you get an offer

Latest

Trending

Trending