The Student Room Group

Do UCAS ever make mistakes with offers??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ktiniatros
are u positive? i haven't received the actual letter from bristol.. but i do have a AS3 letter from ucas saying i have an unconditional offer and it does have my name on it.. its just that bristol haven't contacted me at all.

maybe bristol vet school doesn't interview graduates?

Well I'd eat my hat if UCAS had made a mistake haha :smile: Bristol may not necessarily send you anything through the post though, some universities don't... like with all these things though, its best to just ring up on Monday morning and double check everything :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by -kit-kat-
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've just received an offer from a uni I really wasnt expecting to get into!
Is it possible that UCAS would have made a mistake, so that it comes up as "Conditional" on track, but actually I dont have an offer at all, or they meant to put "Rejection"?? And if this is the case, what would happen?

What Uni/Why didn't you think you'd get an offer?
Reply 42
I'm one of the poor people that have actually had a genuine UCAS error.

I was over the moon when track said that I had an unconditional from Manchester (I applied in my gap year so all my offers were unconditionals, anyway). However, I got an email a few days later saying that track had been updated, odd as I already had all my five offers....and my unconditional from Manchester had turned into a Unsucessful.

I rang them up in shock...and it turns out they had made a mistake and would not be offering me a place! Meh, didn't wanna go to Manchester anyway....:'(
Reply 43
Original post by Wookie42

Original post by Wookie42
Well I'd eat my hat if UCAS had made a mistake haha :smile: Bristol may not necessarily send you anything through the post though, some universities don't... like with all these things though, its best to just ring up on Monday morning and double check everything :smile:

i think what I'm gonna do is accept the offer and then email them, so that way maybe they have a legal obligation to take me or smthn.. haha.. thanks for ur help though!!!fingers crossed its good news rather than a horrible mistake!
Reply 44
Original post by .Scout.

Original post by .Scout.
I'm one of the poor people that have actually had a genuine UCAS error.

I was over the moon when track said that I had an unconditional from Manchester (I applied in my gap year so all my offers were unconditionals, anyway). However, I got an email a few days later saying that track had been updated, odd as I already had all my five offers....and my unconditional from Manchester had turned into a Unsucessful.

I rang them up in shock...and it turns out they had made a mistake and would not be offering me a place! Meh, didn't wanna go to Manchester anyway....:'(

are u serious? that is genuinely terrible... i am now worried about the same thing.. as i have got an unconditional from a course that supposedly only gives them after interview.. and i haven't had one.. but i think i still might accept the offer and see what happens..
Reply 45
Original post by TheSownRose
Very rarely - there have been some cases of the wrong message getting to the student, but these tend to be on behalf of the uni pressing the wrong button and not UCAS displaying it incorrectly. I know what you mean, though. When I got my LSE offer, I kept on thinking it was an error and they'd meant to make the offer to someone else. :lol:

Me too, the first thing I said when I got my LSE offer was.. 'excuse me?'.
Reply 46
Original post by BexyBear
What Uni/Why didn't you think you'd get an offer?

It was Durham. I just wasn't expecting it.. I was the only person from my school to apply there and I didn't get much help at all with my application so I had no idea whether it was good or not :P
also my grades are ok but not fab by any means...my GCSEs were ok but my ASs were a disappointment so I just didnt expect an offer really! the subjects I did were not the "traditional" ones like chemistry and english so that can't have helped. The other thing was that I was applying for Computer Science, which has quite a lot of maths involved, and I had got a C at AS in maths, then dropped it because even though I knew I could do better if I put in more work, my teacher predicted me a C for A Level which would have meant I wouldnt have been able to even apply to durham, so I took a gamble and dropped it altogether :P Also I didnt feel like I had much to offer in general and had a hard time writting my personal statement :colondollar:

This thread is from a while ago, Im actually at Durham now and loving it! :smile: maybe this says something about my apparent lack of self confidence, but after my A Levels last summer, I didn't think I would get the grades in my Durham offer (AAB, I made it my firm) so I spent the entire summer looking at gap years and clearing options :P when I found out I made the grades (I had to phone up UCAS on results day because track crashed) I burst into tears on the phone I was so happy :P
Reply 47
It was Durham. I just wasn't expecting it.. I was the only person from my school to apply there and I didn't get much help at all with my application so I had no idea whether it was good or not :P
also my grades are ok but not fab by any means...my GCSEs were ok but my ASs were a disappointment so I just didnt expect an offer really! the subjects I did were not the "traditional" ones like chemistry and english so that can't have helped. The other thing was that I was applying for Computer Science, which has quite a lot of maths involved, and I had got a C at AS in maths, then dropped it because even though I knew I could do better if I put in more work, my teacher predicted me a C for A Level which would have meant I wouldnt have been able to even apply to durham, so I took a gamble and dropped it altogether :P Also I didnt feel like I had much to offer in general and had a hard time writting my personal statement :colondollar:

This thread is from a while ago, Im actually at Durham now and loving it! :smile: maybe this says something about my apparent lack of self confidence, but after my A Levels last summer, I didn't think I would get the grades in my Durham offer (AAB, I made it my firm) so I spent the entire summer looking at gap years and clearing options :P when I found out I made the grades (I had to phone up UCAS on results day because track crashed) I burst into tears on the phone I was so happy :P

aww well done for getting in! i'm kind of in the same boat with exeter...I've applied but i don't have the best grades....so this story has given me a little ray of hope (your A-Levels are far better than mine!) xx
Reply 48
aww well done for getting in! i'm kind of in the same boat with exeter...I've applied but i don't have the best grades....so this story has given me a little ray of hope (your A-Levels are far better than mine!) xx

Aww best of luck! :smile:

I applied to Exeter too, I really liked it!
good luck! xxx
I've not heard of it, but I know of universities that have made mistakes.

I know somebody who applied to a uni and was given an offer. She was over the moon and picked it as her first choice.Not long before she was meant to go she had a letter saying there had been a mix-up. Her name had been accidently put in the pile for offer letters when it was meant to be in the rejection pile. She was so upset, as you can imagine.
Original post by Ladyliesel
I've not heard of it, but I know of universities that have made mistakes.

I know somebody who applied to a uni and was given an offer. She was over the moon and picked it as her first choice.Not long before she was meant to go she had a letter saying there had been a mix-up. Her name had been accidently put in the pile for offer letters when it was meant to be in the rejection pile. She was so upset, as you can imagine.

Well that completely contradicts the UCAS admissions guide for universities. They're not allowed to withdraw an offer once you've replied unless you've lied or omitted something on your application.
Reply 51
Got a rejection from Bristol yesterday- then spoke to a friend and he also had a rejection from them- bit weird.. Then got an email from Bristol today saying UCAS had make a mistake and that my application was still being considered. Not funny UCAS.
Reply 52
Original post by lanaD

Original post by lanaD
Got a rejection from Bristol yesterday- then spoke to a friend and he also had a rejection from them- bit weird.. Then got an email from Bristol today saying UCAS had make a mistake and that my application was still being considered. Not funny UCAS.

Same here, (for psychology) discussed on another forum, people believe we are in the unsuccessful pile, and we will get rejected twice, they just sent it out too soon :frown: (I already know of someone who has had an offer for my course for example)
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Well that completely contradicts the UCAS admissions guide for universities. They're not allowed to withdraw an offer once you've replied unless you've lied or omitted something on your application.

Maybe because it was an error rather than a change of mind that they let it slide.
You’d think universities would treat applicants better, seeing as we’re getting into huge amounts of debt for them. Pfft.

Hmm this give me some hope, I am in a similar postition^ did badly last year for various reasons and am retaking well most of the AS modules actually alongside the A2 ones (god AS maths and physics feels easy when you're doing the 3rd/4th units in them :tongue:) I too am hoping exeter will give me an offer
Reply 55
Original post by extermin8or
Hmm this give me some hope, I am in a similar postition^ did badly last year for various reasons and am retaking well most of the AS modules actually alongside the A2 ones (god AS maths and physics feels easy when you're doing the 3rd/4th units in them :tongue:) I too am hoping exeter will give me an offer

I got EECU in my first year (for various reasons also which i've included) but didn't want to take a third year at college so decided to do my AS and A2 in the same year (not a wise decision for the faint hearted) Came out with BBC but got A's and high B's in my exams. So i'm hoping they'll take that into account. What have you applied for? x
Reply 56
Original post by Hollz♥
Same here, (for psychology) discussed on another forum, people believe we are in the unsuccessful pile, and we will get rejected twice, they just sent it out too soon :frown: (I already know of someone who has had an offer for my course for example)

Yeah mines for psychology too, hope not! although I did kinda expect it.. maybe they will think twice now to avoid being mean. haha. what's the forum?
Reply 57

I'm a Durham applicant with some relatively subpar grades and this made me incredibly happy. Congratulations! :biggrin:

On topic, I know someone who got an "Unsuccessful" from Southampton, phoned them for feedback a few days later and found that he had an offer. It does happen, but not often the other way around!
Reply 58
Original post by Darwinian
I'm a Durham applicant with some relatively subpar grades and this made me incredibly happy. Congratulations! :biggrin:

On topic, I know someone who got an "Unsuccessful" from Southampton, phoned them for feedback a few days later and found that he had an offer. It does happen, but not often the other way around!

This is very interesting:confused:. I have just received a rejection from UCL for English, without having had an interview and I am really a bit upset (not full of myself, honest). It's just that I'm predicted, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get, higher than required grades and my teacher was gobsmacked when I told him (he went to UCL) and they gave no specific reason, which makes me paranoid, that whatever grades I get, there's something really bad about my application (I'm scared of asking for feedback- self-esteem's a bit fragile right now). Anyway, interview at Warwick soon, so onwards and upwards.:smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Darwinian

Aww good luck! what you applying for?

Durham is great, you made a good choice :smile: :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending