The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lausa22
But if you've been caring for a child for 18+ years, surely you can afford to do it for another few years whilst they're in University also. It's not like you suddenly become a huge burden on them. As long as you can pay for your own travel and Uni supplies and nights out then I don't see why your parents finicial situation would change.

You got benefits up until the child was 18. Many peoples situations change - my parents did.
Reply 261
I'm quite surprised the some of the responses. What has this got to do with how much your parents love you?

If I am working at home with my mum, then why the hell would I not financially contribute? As I am an adult, why should my mum work full-time paying for everything for me? When you're child, it makes sense that your parents pay for everything, but if you're an adult and working full-time, that is ridiculous.

My mum doesn't get paid very much and will struggle to pay for everything when my brother reaches 18, so if I am earning my own salary, doesn't it make sense that I help out?

Also, I don't think "rent" is the right word to use here. Rent suggests you are paying the same amount of money you would in a properly rented room/flat/house/etc, and that you parents could be profiting from you. This is not the case. You are paying keep. You are contributing to the household, easing your parents' financial situation slightly, which is only fair if you are working full-time as an adult under their roof.
(edited 12 years ago)
I was thinking about this the other day. I am currently on a gap year and working as a health care assisstant so I'm earning minimum £1200 a month. but I put £500 a month into savings, and pay for everything myself except rent and food and bills and that stuff. My mum is a single parent with 4 kids including me and I'm still living at home, and I think she currently earns around what i'm earning now. so would it be right to pay her some money every month?
Reply 263
In China, parents do not care how much money for their children but to care whether they honor
I pay £150 a month whilst I am working full time on a gap year... this includes my phone bill too.
I did suggest £250 a month but my Mum would rather I saved more for Uni :smile:
in hugs and kisses; and also by falling asleep on the stairs after a night out.
Original post by jennaz77

I was thinking about this the other day. I am currently on a gap year and working as a health care assisstant so I'm earning minimum £1200 a month. but I put £500 a month into savings, and pay for everything myself except rent and food and bills and that stuff. My mum is a single parent with 4 kids including me and I'm still living at home, and I think she currently earns around what i'm earning now. so would it be right to pay her some money every month?

well if she earns just abt the same as U and she supports 4 children including U, U should maybe help her out a bit. Get the groceries maybe even pay her in cash, she'll appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Kazbian
I'm quite surprised the some of the responses. What has this got to do with how much your parents love you?

Exactly. It's irrelevant.
Reply 268
Frankly I believe its just a sharing thing and everybody in the family backing each other :smile: No I don't pay rent -.- still studying...
Reply 269
This idea of paying your parents is alien to me :confused:
If I offered money to my parents, they'd actually be insulted LOL
So in answer to your question...
£0
Original post by lausa22
But if you've been caring for a child for 18+ years, surely you can afford to do it for another few years whilst they're in University also. It's not like you suddenly become a huge burden on them. As long as you can pay for your own travel and Uni supplies and nights out then I don't see why your parents finicial situation would change.

Because the economic state whilst I was growing up is very different now ... Also you have to consider that child benefit (is that what it is?) stops.
I'm at uni full time and work part time, even though I dont live at home (live in student property) I still pay my mum about £15 a week when I go home at the weekend. I even try to offer her more (like £20) but she wont accept it even though shes a widow who lives on her own when me and my brother are at uni. I think its a matter of wanting to pay, I dont do it because I have to but because I want to, it's my mum after all, she brought me up all these years and if it wasn't for her love and encouragment I wouldn't be living my dream - going to uni! So if my mum has paid for all of those years, then I'm more than happy to do it now!
Original post by sarahthegemini
Because the economic state whilst I was growing up is very different now ... Also you have to consider that child benefit (is that what it is?) stops.

Yes. Child benefit and child tax credits stop either at 20 or when someone goes to uni.
i dont pay rent, but i help out do my round of shopping etc.. but if my parents ever need money they get it straight
Original post by Menakshelatte
YOU PAY RENT YO YOUR PARENTS??
what has the world come to...

neg rep me all you want..i asked my mum if she would take rent from me she looked at me as if i was crazy..
maybe it's different with asian families..
all of who is neg repping me have stingy parents.

Wrong, our parents want us to know that we have to pay our own damn way in the world. Working is mandatory if you want to sleep in doors, relying on JSA or parental income is not an option.

It's a question of values, you work, you get money, you don't then tough **** you should have earnt some money to pay your bills. Such is adult life.

£30 a week keep is about normal in my town.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by damilola
well if she earns just abt the same as U and she supports 4 children including U, U should maybe help her out a bit. Get the groceries maybe even pay her in cash, she'll appreciate it :smile:

How much would you give per month if you were in my shoes? I used to give £100 but then we had an argument and she angrily gave it all back.
Original post by hashman90
but if my parents ever need money they get it straight

Same here. It does mean (again) that I end up living rent free for 5 and a half months.

How much would you give per month if you were in my shoes? I used to give £100 but then we had an argument and she angrily gave it all back.

I dunno, I used to earn £300 a month a while back and I paid £50 and paid for all my other stuff myself. It depends on how much U think would help her out, £100 is ok if U ask me but ask her how much she'd like U to give her to help out.
Whilst at university, they won't except anything of me however if I move back in permanently afterwards and get a full-time job. Or even a part-time job I'll happily pay towards the bills.
Reply 279
I don't pay anything, they decided years ago for me and my siblings we should save towards our own houses instead :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending