The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B F331 Chemistry for Life (13-01-2012)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
for the graph question, did everyone get 4000???
Reply 341
Original post by Bellissima
i think this is right tbh... it's not what i put but they are the functional groups, ether/alkene are the homogoulous groups (can't spell)

Why? I thought homologous series were basically series which you could group certain compounds in that have a general formula. For example, cycloalkanes is a homologous series but I'm not sure it's a functional group.
Original post by Zhy
My teacher said that if I got full marks he was buying everyone lunch! Arghhhh people are going to be so annoyed at me.

I am pretty sure I got an A. But definitely not full marks now. Will be lucky to get 58/60.

maybe you should stop putting so much pressure on yourself i mean what are you going to do if you don't get an A, kill yourself? i seriously doubt whether people will care what grade you got either.
Original post by mycollege
for the graph question, did everyone get 4000???

YEP and you had to show how so i just extended the first line
Reply 344
Original post by Jammy4410
47/60 a
43/60 or 44/60 b

Hmm, that would mean 90% is either 50 or 51 and 100% is either 53 or 55...
Original post by aim28
0.36cm^3 :smile:

To 2 significant figures, as it asked, it' 0.4cm^3.

Oh, damn, sorry :[
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zhy
I got C21H44 too.

For cycloalkane I immediately said whatever one was C22H44... which could also be an alkene... but apparently you were supposed to write two letters? Ugh...

no i am pretty sure it said ONE in bold, the only one where you had to put 2 was which TWO were isomers
Original post by Zhy
Why higher than usual? What do you predict for an A?

I'd say no higher than 50/60 is an A, would be just a pisstake if they set 53 or 54 as an A.

well the Jan 2011 paper for one was harder than our paper, it had more questions that people could lose marks on especially the first question, and the graph question etc. On the other hand our paper was much simple, I don't think there was any question that was very hard or couldn't be answered (except the moles ratio one)

I think the boundaries will be 52/53
Reply 348
Original post by AGrumpyMole
To 2 significant figures, as it asked, it' 0.4cm^3.

No, that's 1 sig fig. It's 0.36 to 2 s.f.
GUYS - for the functional group question - ether and alkene are not functional groups are they? they are homogoulous groups or however you spell it... like alcohols.. the functional group is the OH, not the word alcohol????
Reply 350
maybe you should stop putting so much pressure on yourself i mean what are you going to do if you don't get an A, kill yourself? i seriously doubt whether people will care what grade you got either.

People do care, honestly... they have repeatedly informed me of the marks I got in previous exams and it was really annoying. I'm happy with an A (90%+ is preferable) but others will be shocked.
i wrote number of protons.
If you wrote exactly what you typed now you probably wouldn't get mark as it could easily be interpreted as Protons + electrons

I wrote protons then I wrote electrons, then I wrote a sentence explaining how I don't mean the sum of the protons and electrons just them individually.
Reply 352
Original post by Zhy
No, that's 1 sig fig. It's 0.36 to 2 s.f.

thats what I put!
Original post by Zhy
Why? I thought homologous series were basically series which you could group certain compounds in that have a general formula. For example, cycloalkanes is a homologous series but I'm not sure it's a functional group.

say you had butanol... is is in the alcohol homogulous series... but the functional group is the OH... if you were asked what the functional group of butanol was, you would put OH not "alcohol"... so for cycloalkane the carbon ring would be the func group and for ether the oxygen in middle of C chain would be func group and for alkene the double covalents would be func gorup.

this is just what i think i may be wrong.
GUYS - for the functional group question - ether and alkene are not functional groups are they? they are homogoulous groups or however you spell it... like alcohols.. the functional group is the OH, not the word alcohol????

True but i reckon they will be kinda lenient i reckon if you put hom/ser you will get 1/2
Original post by Zhy
109 degrees. There is proof on Wikipedia, search for octasulfur...

Is it not 104.5 as there were 2 lone pairs and each lone pair repels 2.5 degrees approximately? The mark scheme will say a range of 104 - 109 most likely though as they usually do :smile:
Original post by Zhy
People do care, honestly... they have repeatedly informed me of the marks I got in previous exams and it was really annoying. I'm happy with an A (90%+ is preferable) but others will be shocked.

forget about them you are all that matters when it comes to your own grades
Reply 357
Is it not 104.5 as there were 2 lone pairs and each lone pair repels 2.5 degrees approximately? The mark scheme will say a range of 104 - 109 most likely though as they usually do :smile:

Yes but you don't need to know that for this specification. Most candidates will say 109 degrees.

yes it is that but rev guides vary so 104-109 is acceptable.
47/60 a
43/60 or 44/60 b

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending