The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Refrigerator
Do you think it's harder to get a 2 in STEP 2, or get a good enough result in the MAT for Oxford?

I'd say that STEP 2 is far more difficult than the MAT, but I couldn't tell you which is harder to get a good result in with any sort of experience. All I'm saying is that I am bloody thankful not to have my offer rely on STEP, and to have got the MAT over with :wink:

Peoples' MAT result, while very important for the Oxford offer, is still only part of the Oxford offer. What I mean is - you can do 'okay' in the MAT (not great, but of course not poorly) and still get an interview - and if your interviews go very well, and the rest of your application is good, your MAT score might not hinder your chances of getting an offer. Once you have your Cambridge/Warwick/Bath/Imperial offer, you have to get the STEP grades, or that's it. The MAT is more flexible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Alright, thanks :smile:

Is there any way I can get out of doing STEP if I'm applying for Imperial / Bath?
Alright, thanks :smile:

Is there any way I can get out of doing STEP if I'm applying for Imperial / Bath?

Usually Imperial won't ask for it. And Bath give an alternative offer which is A*AA, as opposed to the A*AB + 2 in STEP/ Merit in AEA. The only ones which are non negotiable are Cambridge and Warwick. Although Warwick let people in last year with 3. Because STEP was pretty tough.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Usually Imperial won't ask for it. And Bath give an alternative offer which is A*AA, as opposed to the A*AB + 2 in STEP/ Merit in AEA. The only ones which are non negotiable are Cambridge and Warwick. Although Warwick let people in last year with 3. Because STEP was pretty tough.

Ah okay, I'm probably gonna be applying for Maths+CS at Oxford, Imperial and Bristol, and then straight maths at UCL and something else. Which straight maths ones would you recommend then that are decent but don't care too much about STEP, because I wouldn't like having an extra obstacle between the offer and the acceptance :frown:
Ah okay, I'm probably gonna be applying for Maths+CS at Oxford, Imperial and Bristol, and then straight maths at UCL and something else. Which straight maths ones would you recommend then that are decent but don't care too much about STEP, because I wouldn't like having an extra obstacle between the offer and the acceptance :frown:

Bristol, UCL and Imperial are great choices, also Durham. For non STEP they're the best you could ask for. :smile:

Bath is also worth a look - great university that tends not to make STEP offers (though mine is - I put it down on UCAS and it's their policy to make STEP offers when you put it down! Silly me :tongue:)
Reply 4406
Original post by Icefx
Imperial maths offer finally but also requires a 2 in step 2 or 3 :/

Probably because you're doing 3 A levels or you don't study A level Physics. I think that's what the admissions tutors said last time.
Got my BMO1 back today, 16/60 :yeah:
Thank you for finally showing me some love Durham =D

OFFER YAYYYY! And on Friday 13th too. Maybe it isn't so unlucky...
Original post by laughylolly

YAY CONGRATS!!:biggrin:

I've been waiting aaages for Durham as well! Can I ask, which college did you apply for? When did you send your UCAS application off? + Are you applying for the 4 year course?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just impatient :colondollar:
Original post by hayzelle
YAY CONGRATS!!:biggrin:

I've been waiting aaages for Durham as well! Can I ask, which college did you apply for? When did you send your UCAS application off? + Are you applying for the 4 year course?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just impatient :colondollar:

Thanks =)

Haha its okay. I was doing the exact same thing before today.

I applied to St Aidan's (haven't got confirmation of college yet though). Sent UCAS off on Oct 7th 2011 and I did apply for the 4 year course.

Me too :biggrin: Congratulations! So pleased about that as my offer for bath is the Step/AEA one so the Durham one should be in theory easier to get. What college did you apply for?
Thanks =)

Haha its okay. I was doing the exact same thing before today.

I applied to St Aidan's (haven't got confirmation of college yet though). Sent UCAS off on Oct 7th 2011 and I did apply for the 4 year course.

Oh awesome! I applied for the 4 year course as well, but I submitted my UCAS a bit later and to Butler so I guess that's why I haven't heard back yet! :tongue:
Original post by carlos the third
Me too :biggrin: Congratulations! So pleased about that as my offer for bath is the Step/AEA one so the Durham one should be in theory easier to get. What college did you apply for?

Luckily I didn't get a STEP/AEA offer from bath. Just two AA's. Helps being in the Scottish system sometimes.

Durham offer was nicer than I thought too. I thought they would give me a A1AA offer (A1 is basically Scottish Equivalent of an A*) but nope, just AAA.

I applied to St. Aidan's but no confirmation yet of course.

Original post by hayzelle
Oh awesome! I applied for the 4 year course as well, but I submitted my UCAS a bit later and to Butler so I guess that's why I haven't heard back yet! :tongue:

I'm sure you'll hear soon. I thought I wouldn't hear till March but nope!
I'm going to join laughylolly in the celebrations for a shiny Durham offer! :woo:
Original post by Miller693
I'm going to join laughylolly in the celebrations for a shiny Durham offer! :woo:

Wooh!!! Congrats =)
Wooh!!! Congrats =)

Just saw the sig, Congratulations! :woo: :woo: :woo:
Original post by cpdavis

What's your astrophysics like? is it mainly qualitative?
Original post by cpdavis

Thanks! I'm so excited now and motivated. All my friends have started getting unconditionals for Scottish Uni's, so knowing what I'm aiming for now is great and just in time for prelims!
Original post by ben-smith
What's your astrophysics like? is it mainly qualitative?

I haven't started yet, but it's about half qualitative and half quantitative. The quantitative bit is the area that I am most looking forward to, as the concepts can be so interesting :love:

are you thinking of switching if you get to Cambridge?

Latest