The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A2 (F324) Synthesis Help

Hi all.

Really struggling on synthesis and would find it really helpful if someone posted ALL the reactions with reagents and conditions for both aliphatic and aromatic compounds. I know this is a big ask but I'm really confused!

+rep for best answer

Thanks =)
Original post by |Alex
Hi all.

Really struggling on synthesis and would find it really helpful if someone posted ALL the reactions with reagents and conditions for both aliphatic and aromatic compounds. I know this is a big ask but I'm really confused!

+rep for best answer

Thanks =)

I would like to see them all in ago ,too ! just because I struggle to recall which acids need to be concentrated/dilute
I have seen one for AQA but would be interested to see the OCR version!:smile:
Original post by |Alex
Hi all.

+rep for best answer

Thanks =)

The best way is for you to pick up the OCR specification and work your way through it writing down all organic reactions with their conditions.

Then you can construct a map to your liking.

The activity will help you see the patterns and learn the reactions (with conditions)

You then start going through all of the organic questions from past paper exams and check off your list to make sure that all of the exam equations appear on your map. If not you add.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
OK, well I tried to get as much information as I can and produced these two tables, can someone check through them and see if i made any massive mistakes? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by |Alex
OK, well I tried to get as much information as I can and produced these two tables, can someone check through them and see if i made any massive mistakes? :smile:

Thats gud just ketone is reduced to secondary alcohol !

also you've written esterification of alcohol and carboxylic acid twice !!

would be appreciated if you upload that for us :smile:

Also try adding As ones to it as well! they seem to like bringing stuff from As
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Hopefully these are of some help

Ester should be labelled COOC in the bottom image, sorry about that
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by arvin_infinity
Thats gud just ketone is reduced to secondary alcohol !

also you've written esterification of alcohol and carboxylic acid twice !!

would be appreciated if you upload that for us :smile:

Also try adding As ones to it as well! they seem to like bringing stuff from As

Here it is. If you need it in .doc form if you don't have Windows 7 or whatever then just ask!
Reply 7
Original post by Tom172
Hopefully these are of some help

Ester should be labelled COOC in the bottom image, sorry about that

Thanks! I have the exact same diagrams in my textbook, but I was confused because they didn't make clear the reagents and conditions which was where I was stuck
Original post by |Alex
Here it is. If you need it in .doc form if you don't have Windows 7 or whatever then just ask!

Yh cuz docx. doesnt work on mine! its too cool for my laptop
Reply 9
Original post by arvin_infinity
Yh cuz docx. doesnt work on mine! its too cool for my laptop

Here you go
Reply 10
Original post by |Alex
Hi all.

+rep for best answer

Thanks =)

If you have the OCR A2 chemistry text book they're listed on pages 62-65, I wrote them out over and over until I nailed them. I figure you don't have to understand them or why those specific reagents are used, just remember them as I've never seen questions on it and it isn't really mentioned in the book.
Good luck & I'm sorry if this wasn't much help if you don't have the textbook.
Reply 11
Has anyone got the f324 june 2012 paper ??
Original post by jammyjosh
Hi, I know it may be a bit late, but I thought I would post this for people looking at this thread in the future - it contains ALL the organic reactions with catalysts and reactants etc. with the necessities for the OCR spec but some extra things as well. :smile:

Amazing poster, but what exam board is that? There are some stuff on there that are definitely not OCR F324.
Original post by bakedbeans247
Amazing poster, but what exam board is that? There are some stuff on there that are definitely not OCR F324.

I took some bits that I found online, but most of it is OCR, but some of it you don't need to know, you're right.
Reply 14
Original post by jammyjosh
I took some bits that I found online, but most of it is OCR, but some of it you don't need to know, you're right.

I can't see this poster! It sounds god sent hahah
Original post by harmony.
If you have the OCR A2 chemistry text book they're listed on pages 62-65, I wrote them out over and over until I nailed them. I figure you don't have to understand them or why those specific reagents are used, just remember them as I've never seen questions on it and it isn't really mentioned in the book.
Good luck & I'm sorry if this wasn't much help if you don't have the textbook.

hiya, please could you send me pictures of those pages? it would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest