The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Sikhism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by SaintSoldier
:lolwut:

Your "source" obviously knows nothing about Sikhism.

This actually made me laugh out loud :laugh:

Sikhs have no emnity towards Muslims. Guru Nanak's most trusted friend, Mardana, was a Muslim. The person who laid the foundation stone of the Golden Temple in Amritsar was a Muslim. The Gurus clearly had good relations with Muslims. They fought the Mughals, who were force converting people to Islam, but that doesn't make them "Muslims," because (contrary to popular belief) mainstream Islam allows freedom of religion.

Sikhs have no prejudice or hatred towards any particular group. We are the guards of humanity, and help those in need, whoever they are.

Anyone who says otherwise is not a Sikh.

then where does the belief that Sikhs hate Muslims come from? I get this impression from many Muslims I have met and 2 Sikhs girls I knew (the only 2 I met) abhorred my religion. They would make comments about Muslim men etc.
It is a widely held belief among Muslims that Sikhs despise us. From my history classes, I can remember that Hindus aren't fond of us, but we studied Sikhs in less detail.
Original post by itzme
then where does the belief that Sikhs hate Muslims come from? I get this impression from many Muslims I have met and 2 Sikhs girls I knew (the only 2 I met) abhorred my religion. They would make comments about Muslim men etc.
It is a widely held belief among Muslims that Sikhs despise us. From my history classes, I can remember that Hindus aren't fond of us, but we studied Sikhs in less detail.

That is due to historical reasons, not religious ones.

Basically, the Muslim rulers of India were force converting Hindus to Islam. The Sikhs stood up for the Hindus because, although we don't agree with many Hindu principles, we do believe in freedom of religion and human rights. Three of the Gurus were killed by the Mughals due to their opposition to the tyrannical rule, and millions of Sikhs died fighting on the battlefield or were tortured to death for not converting to Islam.

These are the turbulant times that Sikhism was born into, but that doesn't mean that we are prejudiced or have hatred towards Muslims. In the same way that we defended the Hindus previously, we could just as easily fight to defend the Muslims (although Islam is larger, so this is hypothetical).

So tell your Muslim friends that we do not depise them or Islam, we only despise tyranny and oppression :smile:
Reply 662

Basically, the Muslim rulers of India were force converting Hindus to Islam. The Sikhs stood up for the Hindus because, although we don't agree with many Hindu principles, we do believe in freedom of religion and human rights. Three of the Gurus were killed by the Mughals due to their opposition to the tyrannical rule, and millions of Sikhs died fighting on the battlefield or were tortured to death for not converting to Islam.

These are the turbulant times that Sikhism was born into, but that doesn't mean that we are prejudiced or have hatred towards Muslims. In the same way that we defended the Hindus previously, we could just as easily fight to defend the Muslims (although Islam is larger, so this is hypothetical).

So tell your Muslim friends that we do not depise them or Islam, we only despise tyranny and oppression :smile:

Thanks for your reply. I hope other Sikhs have the same mindset (but unfortunately, people care a lot about history).
Are sikhs allowed to gamble?

I have a sikh who sits next to me in 2 classes, he constantly backstabs every single person and tells me about it, but then infront of does the good boy routine, any rules in your religion prevent him from backstabbing? So I can tell him to stop in polite way that he may feel guilty at.
He was calling this girl ugly behind her once, and he wanted to me to join in and I was like no, he was like well you can say what you think right? I told him its just not right. So maybey something religiously based will stop him muttering to me about people. Although he is an ok lad, this back stabbing thing is so annoying me.
Reply 665
Original post by Study
I have a sikh who sits next to me in 2 classes, he constantly backstabs every single person and tells me about it, but then infront of does the good boy routine, any rules in your religion prevent him from backstabbing? So I can tell him to stop in polite way that he may feel guilty at.
He was calling this girl ugly behind her once, and he wanted to me to join in and I was like no, he was like well you can say what you think right? I told him its just not right. So maybey something religiously based will stop him muttering to me about people. Although he is an ok lad, this back stabbing thing is so annoying me.

Haha how old are you guys? He sounds like a rude kid lol... I doubt it'll make much difference but I'll tell you anyway. In society everyone gossips, everyone speaks badly of others and no one thinks twice about it, because it's just the norm. But Sikhs believe that nindiya (slander) is a very bad thing, and one should refrain from making judgements about anyone else or thinking anything bad about another.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਜੇ ਤੂ ਅਕਲਿ ਲਤੀਫੁ ਕਾਲੇ ਲਿਖੁ ਲੇਖ
Fareed, if you have a keen understanding, then do not write black marks against anyone else.

ਆਪਨੜੇ ਗਿਰੀਵਾਨ ਮਹਿ ਸਿਰੁ ਨਂ*ੀਵਾਂ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖੁ
Look underneath your own collar instead.

Even if a person has done something terrible to you, we must not hate or slander the person, for it's the terrible act that we hate. Bhai Khanaiya is a good example of this (look him up if you wish to know). Everyone should be seen as equal in the eyes of the Sikh, we shouldn't really praise or slander anyone.

"By continually slandering others, they carry a terrible load, and they carry the loads of others for nothing."

We believe that if someone slanders another, that person consequently takes on the sins of the person they're slandering; so the slanderer is actually the fool.

"Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, and slander me.

Slander is pleasing to the Lord's humble servant.

Slander is my father, slander is my mother. ||1||Pause||

If I am slandered, I go to heaven;

the wealth of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, abides within my mind.

If my heart is pure, and I am slandered,

then the slanderer washes my clothes. ||1||

One who slanders me is my friend;

the slanderer is in my thoughts.

The slanderer is the one who prevents me from being slandered.

The slanderer wishes me long life. ||2||

I have love and affection for the slanderer.

Slander is my salvation.

Slander is the best thing for servant Kabeer.

The slanderer is drowned, while I am carried across. ||3||20||71||"
Original post by Study
Are sikhs allowed to gamble?

Nope!

[INDENT]ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਕਿਛੁ ਗੁਨੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ਚਲੇ ਜੁਆਰੀ ਦੁਇ ਹਥ ਝਾਰਿ ॥੪॥੨॥ ਕਬੀਰ ੧੧੫੮/੩
Always go by merit; the gambler leaves with both hands empty

(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1158 ). [/INDENT]
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Study

Sikhs should not back-bite:
[INDENT]Great is the Greatness of the Lord; He does not hear the words of the back-biters.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 84)

By slandering, the slanderer washes the filth off others; he is an eater of filth, and a worshipper of Maya (the materialistic world).
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 506)[/INDENT]

Sikhs should not hurt other people's feelings:
[INDENT]Do not utter even a single harsh word; your True Lord and Master abides in all.
Do not break anyone's heart; these are all priceless jewels. ||129||.

(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1384) [/INDENT]

Sikhs should not slander other religions:
[INDENT]Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1350)[/INDENT]

Sikhs should not use bad language:
[INDENT]O Nanak, speaking insipid words, the body and mind become insipid.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 473)

That soul-bride, who talks sweetly and speaks the Truth, O Siblings of Destiny, becomes pleasing to her Husband Lord.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 637) [/INDENT]

Sikhs should remain true to their word, and not be "two faced":
[INDENT]He gives his word, but then backs out. All that he says is false. The false person is hollow within; he is totally engrossed in falsehood.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1099) [/INDENT]

Sikhs should not spread rumours about others:
[INDENT]Watching, watching the transitory dramas of the world, you are embroiled and enmeshed in them, and you laugh with delight. The string of life is wearing thin, day and night, and you have done nothing for your soul. ||2||.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 206) [/INDENT]

There are many more quotes on this sort of behaviour, but I think you get the idea :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Sikhs should not back-bite:
[INDENT]Great is the Greatness of the Lord; He does not hear the words of the back-biters.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 84)

By slandering, the slanderer washes the filth off others; he is an eater of filth, and a worshipper of Maya (the materialistic world).
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 506)[/INDENT]

Sikhs should not hurt other people's feelings:
[INDENT]Do not utter even a single harsh word; your True Lord and Master abides in all.
Do not break anyone's heart; these are all priceless jewels. ||129||.

(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1384) [/INDENT]

Sikhs should not slander other religions:
[INDENT]Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1350)[/INDENT]

Sikhs should not use bad language:
[INDENT]O Nanak, speaking insipid words, the body and mind become insipid.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 473)

That soul-bride, who talks sweetly and speaks the Truth, O Siblings of Destiny, becomes pleasing to her Husband Lord.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 637) [/INDENT]

Sikhs should remain true to their word, and not be "two faced":
[INDENT]He gives his word, but then backs out. All that he says is false. The false person is hollow within; he is totally engrossed in falsehood.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1099) [/INDENT]

Sikhs should not spread rumours about others:
[INDENT]Watching, watching the transitory dramas of the world, you are embroiled and enmeshed in them, and you laugh with delight. The string of life is wearing thin, day and night, and you have done nothing for your soul. ||2||.
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 206) [/INDENT]

There are many more quotes on this sort of behaviour, but I think you get the idea :smile:

I'll tell him its against his religion next time hes doing it :smile:
Normally I tell him its bad anyway but doesn't work.
Original post by P.Kaur
Haha how old are you guys? He sounds like a rude kid lol... I doubt it'll make much difference but I'll tell you anyway. In society everyone gossips, everyone speaks badly of others and no one thinks twice about it, because it's just the norm. But Sikhs believe that nindiya (slander) is a very bad thing, and one should refrain from making judgements about anyone else or thinking anything bad about another.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਜੇ ਤੂ ਅਕਲਿ ਲਤੀਫੁ ਕਾਲੇ ਲਿਖੁ ਲੇਖ
Fareed, if you have a keen understanding, then do not write black marks against anyone else.

ਆਪਨੜੇ ਗਿਰੀਵਾਨ ਮਹਿ ਸਿਰੁ ਨਂ*ੀਵਾਂ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖੁ
Look underneath your own collar instead.

Even if a person has done something terrible to you, we must not hate or slander the person, for it's the terrible act that we hate. Bhai Khanaiya is a good example of this (look him up if you wish to know). Everyone should be seen as equal in the eyes of the Sikh, we shouldn't really praise or slander anyone.

"By continually slandering others, they carry a terrible load, and they carry the loads of others for nothing."

We believe that if someone slanders another, that person consequently takes on the sins of the person they're slandering; so the slanderer is actually the fool.

"Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, and slander me.

Slander is pleasing to the Lord's humble servant.

Slander is my father, slander is my mother. ||1||Pause||

If I am slandered, I go to heaven;

the wealth of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, abides within my mind.

If my heart is pure, and I am slandered,

then the slanderer washes my clothes. ||1||

One who slanders me is my friend;

the slanderer is in my thoughts.

The slanderer is the one who prevents me from being slandered.

The slanderer wishes me long life. ||2||

I have love and affection for the slanderer.

Slander is my salvation.

Slander is the best thing for servant Kabeer.

The slanderer is drowned, while I am carried across. ||3||20||71||"

He's 18, I'm 16.
Why do some Sikh women cover their hair?
Is drinking allowed or not?
Do most Sikhs want Khalistan?
Why is it called Land of the Pure? Isn't there already a Land of the Pure?
Reply 671
Original post by AkaJetson

all baptised sikhs are supposed to cover their head, and your probably talking about sikh women with turbans. thats their own choice and they just choose to cover their head.

any form of intoxicants in sikhism is not really allowed. i personally think any type of intoxicant that weres off over time is pointless. so yeah drinking isnt allowed but some sikhs still do drink.

no not all sikhs want khalistan. i cant really if "most" sikhs want it. personally i do lol

khalistan means pure, it comes from the word khalsa. Khalsa refers to a status of total purity in thought, word, deeds, spirit, lifestyle

i hope that answers your questions :smile:
Reply 672
Why do Sikhs wear turbans?

Technically all Sikhs, whether male or female, should cover their hair. If men have to do it, then women have to do it. Men and women are completely equal in Sikhism in every aspect of life. However, due to cultural reasons, not all of them do this. However, the practice is making a come back, especially among the young Sikhs in the west.

[INDENT]ਝੂਠਾ ਮਦੁ ਮੂਲਿ ਪੀਚਈ ਜੇ ਕਾ ਪਾਰਿ ਵਸਾਇ
“Do not drink the false alcohol at all, as far as it lies in your power.”
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 544)[/INDENT]

[INDENT]ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਮਦੁ ਜੋ ਪੀਵਤੇ ਬਿਖਲੀ ਪਤਿ ਕਮਲੀ ||
ਰਾਮ ਰਸਾਇਣਿ ਜੋ ਰਤੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚ ਅਮਲੀ ||੪||੧੨||੧੧੪||
“The false-minded people who drink the alcohol are the husbands of prostitutes and their thinking is stupid. But those who are imbued with the sublime essence of the Lord, O Nanak, are intoxicated with the Truth.”
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 399)[/INDENT]

[INDENT]ਇਕਤੁ ਪਤਰਿ ਭਰਿ ਉਰਕਟ ਕੁਰਕਟ ਇਕਤੁ ਪਤਰਿ ਭਰਿ ਪਾਨੀ
ਆਸਿ ਪਾਸਿ ਪੰਚ ਜੋਗੀਆ ਬੈਠੇ ਬੀਚਿ ਨਕਟ ਦੇ ਰਾਨੀ ॥੧॥
“Those who keep association with the (strong) five desires, put the meat of a boiled chicken in one pot, and in the other pot they put alcohol. They sit around (this meat and alcohol), and amidst these (corrupt and wicked men) sits the noseless one, the shameless queen (i.e. Maya the illusionary world). ||1||”
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 476)[/INDENT]

[INDENT]ਪੂਰਾ ਸਾਚੁ ਪਿਆਲਾ ਸਹਜੇ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਪੀਆਏ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇ
ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਕਾ ਵਾਪਾਰੀ ਹੋਵੈ ਕਿਆ ਮਦਿ ਛੂਛੈ ਭਾਉ ਧਰੇ ॥2॥
“(O Yogi!) The Perfect Lord naturally gives the cup of Truth, to the one upon whom Waheguru casts His Glance of Grace. One who trades in this Amrit, the Divine-nectar, which gives eternal spiritual life how could he ever love the alcohol of the world? ||2||”
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 360)[/INDENT]

[INDENT]ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ
ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥
“O Kabeer! Those mortals who consume marijuana (drugs), fish (meat) and wine (liquor) no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1377)[/INDENT]

That's a tricky question. The young Sikhs almost unanimously want it, but the older Sikhs are slightly more hesitant. They are probably scared of the backlash that this may cause, and they don't want a repeat of the anti-Sikh riots of 1984.

If you ask the average civilian in Punjab, he will probably say he doesn't care. The main reason being that Khalistan will not benefit him in any way. Punjabi farmers are dying because of the absurdities of the Indian tax system and law, so most Punjabis are struggling as it is. Making a new country is not easy, and it requires a lot of funding. The average Punjabi farmer is not willing to pay for that.

Well really it's called Land of the Khalsa.

The Khalsa is the the Sikh community and brotherhood essentially, so you can see where we get the name from.

Is there already a Land of the Pure? Are you refering to Pakistan here?

Original post by AK0001
Why do Sikhs wear turbans?

That is literally a HUGE topic :tongue:

Basically, it's there to protect your hair from harm from the outside world, and to cover your head as a sign of piety.

Also, at the time of the Gurus, it was illegal for the common man to wear a fine turban. Only kings could do that. So Guru Gobind Singh, in order to overturn the caste system, told the Sikhs to wear a turban. Thus you can't tell who is a king and who is a pauper, as we believe in an equal an casteless society. It also gives you pride in your religion.

It makes us easily recogniseable. A Sikh can't hide from you, or lie that s/he isn't Sikh, because the turban makes it blatantly obvious. Hence it instills a sense of courage in the Sikhs.

The issue of standing out also makes us more resposible. We don't want to commit crimes because we are so recognisable that what we do will create negative stereotypes about Sikhs in general. Eg. If a Sikh stole something, you'd be like "****ing Sikhs, they always steal." That's how black peple have become demonised by society, because they are recognisable.

It's like our uniform. Much like a policeman's hat, it helps to distinguish us. So you know who to ask if you need help.

Scientifically, the turban minutely alters the blood flow in the brain, causing the person wearing it to become more calm in every day life.

There are many more reasons, but those are just a few :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 674
Thanks for clearing things up about the turban! What are the basic set of beliefs one must hold to be a sikh?
Original post by AK0001
What are the basic set of beliefs one must hold to be a sikh?

According to the SGPC Rehat Maryada (Code of Conduct), Chapter 1: Article 1

“Any human being who faithfully believes in
i. One Immortal Being,
ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,
iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,
iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and
v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh”
Yeah, I meant Pakistan.
Roughly what are the commonly agreed boundaries of a future Sikh state?
Are both men and women supposed to carry the Kirpan?
What do you think of the anti turban laws in France?
Reply 677
What is the position of god in Sikhism, is it similar to the one in Islam/Christianity?
Yeah, I meant Pakistan.

In that case, it doesn't really matter. It's not like we have two countries with the same name, and the history associated with the Khalsa goes far beyond it just meaning "pure."

Roughly what are the commonly agreed boundaries of a future Sikh state?

Some people want to have all of the territory ruled by Maharaja Ranjit Singh, which is massive. Such a state would be by far bigger than India, and lots of states would be swallowed into it.

Most Sikhs agree that that is unrealistic. Instead they desire all of what was originally Punjab. So that's Pujab, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh. We are united by the language of Punjabi, hence having a state together would be fine. This is the offically recognised plan.
Are both men and women supposed to carry the Kirpan?

Men and women are completely equal in Sikhism in every respect. Anything that a man is required to do, a woman is alos required to do.

So yes, women also must carry the Kirpan.

There's a Sakhi (account) about this. It's long so I'll summarise it:
Basically a Sikh woman was riding on her horse to deliver a message to someone. On the way, some bandits attacked her. She swiftly drew her Kirpan. She fought with the bandits, and they ran away from her due to her martial ability. When she reached home and told her family about the incident, they were shocked. They thought it was impoper for a woman to fight (I think her family was Hindu, and she was a convert). So they took her to Guru Gobind Singh and asked him what he thought of her behaviour. He said that she had got the teachings exactly right, and that a Sikhs should be ready for combat at all times. That includes both genders.

The main point of this Sakhi is to show that Sikhs must be tyar-bar-tyar (ready at all times), but it also shows that Guru Gobind Singh made the wearing of the Kirpan obligatory for all Sikhs, regardless of gender.
What do you think of the anti turban laws in France?

Well obviously I don't approve of them. What is their problem with turbans any way? What are they worried about?
Original post by Ferdowsi
What is the position of god in Sikhism, is it similar to the one in Islam/Christianity?

First, define the position of God in Islam/Christianity. Then I can answer your question :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending