The Student Room Group

We know why guys want to be taller. But why do girls want to be taller?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Movember

but what i want to know is why do girls want to be taller? guys dont care about the height of a girl. most want a short girl anyway. for guys, they care about hot face and body. they are put off by tall girls and i know some guys who say its off-putting and ugly if a girl is too tall (these are guys who are 6foot and over btw so its not like they are short. and by too tall, they mean 5f10+. taller than the average guy).

it begs the question why do girls want to be taller? i dont understand:s-smilie:

Last time I checked guys like long legs, and so like tall girls. Most guys I know aren't put off by tall girls, and the kind that are are obviously insecure pussies who most girls won't want to attract anyway. :h:
Original post by Chaofan88
What?!?!? Where are these magical shops? As a tall female, I have major problems finding trousers that actually touch my ankles (5'11, 34-36 inch inside leg and size 6-8)!

This, I'm a size 8 and have 34" legs, clothes are awkward!
Reply 62
Ah fair enough- you must be tiny! All of the trousers there are too short and if I do by fluke ever find a long enough pait of trousers, they're almost always too long :tongue:

haha im a good 9 or 10 inches shorter than you :tongue:
Original post by xChelsea
mm, I'm around 5'9 and I don't want to be taller! sometimes I wish I was smaller so I could wear heels :frown:

Being 5'9" doesn't prevent you from wearing heels, embrace your height because you can't change it! :wink:
I'm the same height as you and used to regularly wear heels.
Because taller women are sexy. Keep your dwarves, I'll take the 5'11" ladies and over.
I envy all you 5 ft 4 women moaning about being short....being 5 ft 1 myself I'd do anything to gain a few inches! Mainly because almost all my friends are taller than me :frown:
And not to mention that fact that guys are getting a LOT taller these days....so they just tower over me...heels or no heels *rage*

I wouldn't want to be tall though, just medium. There is always the risk of meeting a guy that's the same height as you....which would be kinda awkward when wearing heels....to me at least.
Reply 66
I'm just about 5ft 5 I think and yeah I would love to be a few inches taller to say 5 ft 8 but I can see why girls want to be taller if they are around 4 ft 10 because most girls are above that.
Being able to see over people's heads is fun. I love being tall... And at 6', no guy has ever said to me that they dislike my height. In fact, quite a few have said the opposite. :sexface:
Original post by Dominic101
Hmmm I don't think 6'2 is too unusual for a guy and probably not too noticable im in year 11 and know many people 6'2 plus in my year including me.

Most guys lie. In reality <20% of guys are 6'2+.
Reply 69
Ignoring your post and just replying to the title - elegance?

The possibility of having legs up to hereeeeeeeeee and all that.
Reply 70
I've also always have enjoyed being tall at 5'11.5, and I'd hate to be average height/shorter! Tall girls should try to embrace their height- of course it comes with a few downsides, but it can't be changed. I also seem to notice tall people more as well- there's this girl I know and she's a fair few inches taller than myself (I'd say around 6'3?), but her height gives her this incredible elegance (+she's hot)

Also, just for another bisexual perspective- do you find yourself adopting any double standards about height (i.e. finding taller men attractive but having the same apply to a lesser extent for women)?

I find that taller men are just as attractive as taller women. However, there are a few double standards; tall for a woman would be 5'9" onwards, whereas tall for a man would be 6' onwards. Also, a woman who is 6' stands out more to me than a man who is 6'.

Saying that though (another double standard), dating a guy shorter than me feels different to dating a girl shorter than me. Not that it matters, I've done both.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
I don't know why i have a big complex over height, but i'd love to be a few inches taller- 5'5"-5'8" would be ideal for me, but alas i have to cope with my 5'3"/5'4" self. I'm one of the shortest of friends and stick out like a sore thumb. It doesn't help that everyone takes the mick out of me for being so short. But i don't know why i'm complaining- some ppl must get it much worse then me.:colondollar:
Reply 72
I would happily give you a couple of centimeters if I could :rolleyes:
Meh, I didn't think that was the case for females. I know as many of my female friends that wish they were shorter, as well as female friends that wish they were taller (that are roughly average height of 5ft4). I'm just over 5ft 9 and I'm pretty happy with my height. I sorta wish I was 5ft 7 or 5ft 8 because then I'd feel less self-conscious about appearing too tall with heels on, but that's probably because I'm a little shy in person and don't like people turning around to look at me when I'm with my group of friends for being 'the tall one'. (And nope I'm not one of the prettiest out of my friends either :tongue: ). Not sure why people assume that if you're tall you'll have long legs. I'm tall but my legs are proportionally quite short (I fit into regular length jeans aimed towards 5ft 4 women easily without them being too short on me).
I'm not too bothered about my height tbh. I'm more bothered about being in proportion.
Reply 74
I agree tall guys are probably considered more attractive, but over a certain height (I'm over 6ft7) things start to look a bit "gangly" and that puts people off.

Had an absolute cringeworthy moment when I was out one night when my friends spot a really tall, blonde woman, mustve been 6ft plus three or four inch heels (making her humongous). Naturally, in my friends opinions this made us automatic soulmates somehow. I remember we had to just laugh at the fuss being made, being really tall isn't all its cracked up to be and you can get a lot of unwanted attention.
Reply 75
Original post by Einheri
I would prefer a tall woman. Ideally she would be my height (6'1"). I don't really see the great attraction to short women - isn't the whole purpose of sexual attraction to pass on and propagate good genes? Not that I would turn down a short girl; beggars can't be choosers.

Shortness doesn't necessarily mean worse genes at all!! In terms of natural selection as you have decided to put it... being too tall can be a disadvantage, you become a target. Smaller you are the easier you can hide and get away without being noticed by predators. But it also works the other way round. Its often said in fact that taller people die younger. Smaller you are (in every way horizontal and vertical) less pressure on your organs.

My point is there are both advantages and disadvantages to being tall or short. Taller people are certainly not genetically superior.

Lanky. Lanky. Lanky. Not the way forward.

Widen your gene pool= greater resistence to disease. Noone wants a world of BFGs. As noone wants a world of shrimps. Lets not be height nazis.
Reply 76
oh and... I love my height 5'2 and the boys love it too :smile:.
Being taller = looking slimmer
Original post by Aisha~~
Most guys lie. In reality <20% of guys are 6'2+.

This. I'm six feet tall on the nose, though since I wear boots, heeled shoes or loafers all the time, I could easily convince someone I was two inches taller.

Reverse manleteering, it seems to be.
i like being short cos i can pretend to be younger....who doesn't want to stay a kid forever???

Quick Reply

Latest