The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why do you get brown urine in G6PD, I didn't think that happened with un-congugated bilirubin?
Original post by _Andrew_
Why do you get brown urine in G6PD, I didn't think that happened with un-congugated bilirubin?

edit just realised the question apologies!

surely its just the haem from haemolysed erythrocytes? or am i missing something?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lekky
Woop well done :biggrin:

Thanks! Of course I haven't found out if I've passed all of my assessments yet, but I'm feeling positive!
Reply 8243
Original post by John Locke

surely its just the haem from haemolysed erythrocytes? or am i missing something?

^ twas my thought also
Reply 8244
Original post by lekky
Have you yet to discover the beauty that is tortora?

In 1st year it was pretty much my bible. Now I use it to read through everything and make notes so I understand it before going somewhere else to read the subject again to make my proper notes as it is a bit dodge and for this year lacking in detail in places. It's fantastic though - explains things simply, clearly and in a logical order. I always start there & would be lost without it.

I use Boron's and Levick's Cardiovascular Physiology, also have Berne & Levy. How is tortora for cardio stuff?

Hmm - I was always under the understanding that, only congugated bilirubin was capable of darkening the colour of the urine. Having said that, I've been cramming for about 12 hours solid now, so I'm probably msissing something obvious:confused:
Reply 8246
Original post by RollerBall
I swear my brain is dying. I can't seem to learn anything anymore. The lecturer will say a sentence with a keyword in it and 20 seconds later I can't remember the key word but feel like I should like its all cloudy or something. I used to find stuff easy to take in now I'm struggling to even remember basic facts.

I should probably get more sleep.

Original post by crazylemon
I have this.
I was unable to recall the GCS earlier. I had a mental block at what M5 score meant
Early night tonight I feel.

Original post by Kinkerz
You're not the only one. I definitely feel like my capacity to take in new things has declined over the last two years. My suspicion is that it does have a lot to do with sleep...

My knowledge of that feel... bro, I don't even :frown:
Original post by Beska
I use Boron's and Levick's Cardiovascular Physiology, also have Berne & Levy. How is tortora for cardio stuff?

you're using the best books IMO. I'm going to, controversially perhaps, go against lekky here and say tortora is not very good at any physiology and intentionally oversimplifies (in fairness due to it's target audience).
Original post by Beska

levicks is what yhje engineres yse. vanders frw
Reply 8249
you're using the best books IMO. I'm going to, controversially perhaps, go against lekky here and say tortora is not very good at any physiology and intentionally oversimplifies (in fairness due to it's target audience).

That's the whole point though surely. If you're struggling with the books you're using start with tortora, read the chapter through, then go on to Vanders/Levicks and they'll make much more sense. if you read my post I did say it's not good to just use tortora, I don't make any of my notes from there, but is a great starting point if you're struggling with topics as beska seems to be. But everyone has different methods, its just what works for me, get the basics sound in my head before then going on to properly learn it and it sticks in my head whether I want it to or not :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lekky
Have you yet to discover the beauty that is tortora?

In 1st year it was pretty much my bible. Now I use it to read through everything and make notes so I understand it before going somewhere else to read the subject again to make my proper notes as it is a bit dodge and for this year lacking in detail in places. It's fantastic though - explains things simply, clearly and in a logical order. I always start there & would be lost without it.

OHCM is my first and only medicine bible, the only other books I bought were greys, mcminns and wheaters
Original post by rainbowbex
OHCM is my first and only medicine bible, the only other books I bought were greys, mcminns and wheaters

You will go far!
Reply 8252
Original post by crazylemon
Is someone drunk?

I have vanders. it sits collecting dust...

Feel free to donate it to me :wink:
Original post by _Andrew_

AFAIK Crash course:

Bilirubin comes in 2 forms - when initially produced from haem breakdown, it is unconjugated and floats around in blood - therefore high unconjugated bilirubin is one possible indicator of acute haemolysis.

There are 2 main ways out of the body, urine and excreta. UC Bilirubin is insoluble - therefore it dosn't go in urine. This is a problem because it floats around in blood and starts affecting acid base. the gut is a major conjugation factory as is the liver, conjugated bilirubin can go out in the urine. This is also why hepatic failure gives clinical jaundice - because the UC bilirubin sticks around and is clinically detectable at around 35 whatever the units are.

Acute haemolysis would give unconjugated bilirubin which is insoluble. The source is a deficiency in GPD, which means the RBC can't run ?NADPH, which means it can't keep ions in the right places, osmotic effects therefore destroy it.

Once Bilirubin is conjugated it can go one of two ways

conjugated bilirubin -> Urobiliogen -> in urine
conjugated Bilirubin -> Steabililogen in the excreta

My guess would be that in the acute case, the liver is overwhelmed, and so you get a backlog of all 3 with some urobilinogen in the urine which would colour it.

Side point -

If the conjugated bilirubin can't get out, then you get high levels with no uribilinogen in the urine - This happens in complete obstructive jaundice, which is why you get dark urine, pale stools - because it can't go through the gut.

This is also why in ?Gilbert's you can do a urine dip (should show positive urobilinogen).
Reply 8254
Original post by rainbowbex

You have the exact same books as me! Never actually used greys though.
Original post by digitalis
You will go far!

haha thanks, I was using the 7th mini edition, upgraded to 8th last week. Think I'm in love..
Original post by Phryx
You have the exact same books as me! Never actually used greys though.

Used the latter three in first and second year and haven't touched them yet this year (in fact grays is currently propping up my second monitor) I imagine I will be picking it up again because my third rotation has a musculoskeletal component and some anatomy knowledge is required!
Original post by Tech
Somehow I'm not sure surgery is for me - I dropped a bottlecap in the toaster the other day and it took me the best part of an hour to get it out! :tongue:

Although for all those interested I thought this video was pretty good (and the whit are known for their infection control I think).

Great video!

I am surprised how many people have done very little scrubbing in! I have done quite a lot, although I guess most of that was as part of SSUs. I am very happy with the gloving/gowning part, but everyone seems to do the hand washing slightly differently. I'm very keen to be a surgeon now, but I don't think I would have considered it if I had never scrubbed in and assisted. I know it's really sad but even standing there holding stuff makes me very happy, whereas standing in a corner with a bad view sucks.
I don't think cosmetic PIP implants should be treated on the NHS
Original post by Wangers
I don't think cosmetic PIP implants should be treated on the NHS

Why? The principle of the NHS is that we treat everyone (based on clinical priority) regardless of who is to blame whether they smoke, play sport or are obese. Hell, the NHS treats pretty much all complications of private surgery. I fully agree (for once) with Lansley's decision to remove the implants, but not replace them.

Latest

Trending

Trending