The Student Room Group

Things you wish you had know to bring to Uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Contraception...lol
Reply 41
doesn't really count, but I lost my passport (my only ID) over the Xmas hols and now I'm back at uni and I can't do anything. :frown:
I read an article on here about stuff to take to uni with you and an apple corer and a pastry brush were both on the list lol I've never used either of those in my life! One thing I have wondered about though.. do we take our own irons and ironing boards? When I've been on the accommodation tours I didn't see any in the laundry rooms. I'll probably only get to fill one car and I live a few hours away from my choices and I quite like shopping for domestic stuff (I know I'm weird!) so I think I'd rather buy it there..
Original post by willbee
doesn't really count, but I lost my passport (my only ID) over the Xmas hols and now I'm back at uni and I can't do anything. :frown:

That SUCKS! I couldn't survive without ID! Even though I don't get ID'd very often I'd be scared to go out and get refused :frown: If you're not planning on travelling for a couple of years then why don't you get a provisional licence? They're cheaper than passports I think..
Original post by littleone271
I read an article on here about stuff to take to uni with you and an apple corer and a pastry brush were both on the list lol I've never used either of those in my life! One thing I have wondered about though.. do we take our own irons and ironing boards? When I've been on the accommodation tours I didn't see any in the laundry rooms. I'll probably only get to fill one car and I live a few hours away from my choices and I quite like shopping for domestic stuff (I know I'm weird!) so I think I'd rather buy it there..

The tumble drier does the ironing for you - ironing's overrated anyways :cool:

But if you really wanna iron stuff, it should say on your accomodations website/pack thing, in mine we got an ironing board included but "no" iron (however, the people who stayed in my flat left one in a cupboard, along with a big roll of packing foam and a box of Christmas crackers. I like the people that lived here before me.)
Original post by liamcol123
The tumble drier does the ironing for you - ironing's overrated anyways :cool:

But if you really wanna iron stuff, it should say on your accomodations website/pack thing, in mine we got an ironing board included but "no" iron (however, the people who stayed in my flat left one in a cupboard, along with a big roll of packing foam and a box of Christmas crackers. I like the people that lived here before me.)

Haha yeah I've never really done ironing... I just know that my gran does it when I'm not looking because she goes mad if I pick it up wrong or put it on the floor :/

I'll have to find out :smile:

Also could people please have a look at this thread I've just posted. I really want some opinions!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35814566#post35814566
Nose-clips, so when you get fed up of your kitchen being a tip, you can clean up without the smell making you feel ill.

I didn't and have used a makeshift replacement (Scarf tied round face covering mouth and nose) ever since.
Original post by littleone271

Ironing board is a bit of a hassle, just put a towel down (make sure it's folded over a few times) on your desk and away you go.
Reply 48
slippers and a dressing gown.
Reply 49
Original post by boba
check the water of the place you live now and the place you are moving to, if theres a big difference a water filter

This. The water in London is ****ing disgusting if you're used to beautiful Yorkshire tapwater (I'm not biased :awesome:) and although I've recently procured a water filter, it was horrible until then!
lamp !
Reply 51
Original post by kerily
This. The water in London is ****ing disgusting if you're used to beautiful Yorkshire tapwater (I'm not biased :awesome:) and although I've recently procured a water filter, it was horrible until then!

the water in most places is disgusting I think yorkshire to the most southern parts of scotland are the only places where its acceptable
Reply 52
Original post by boba
the water in most places is disgusting I think yorkshire to the most southern parts of scotland are the only places where its acceptable

I can't stand Scottish water :no: Even when boiled and put in tea/coffee, it tastes god-awful. Yorkshire water is where it's at :smug:
Reply 53
Great thread ....thanks.....already got loads of things you have suggested on my list for Sept.
Reply 54
With Cutlery, buy really distinctive ones, mine have pink handles, if you buy plain cutlery, they will go missing and get mixed up with others, then you'll never know whose fork you are using, with distinctive ones, you'll always know.

Same with plates and that etc, get patterned ones if you can.

Coat hangers.

Printer - Can end up saving you a ton of money if you need to print stuff, i.e essays for handing in, presentations, posters etc. Kodak has the cheapest ink, and will save you money in the long run. That said, also buy paper. :tongue:

Fleece blankets are a lifesaver, sometimes if my room gets really cold, I'd also have it under the duvet, great for keeping warm, if not, great to snuggle up in anyway.

Things like can and bottle openers, scissors, pins for your notice board (if your uni provides one.)

- Tip: Always check the expiry date on your food, be weary of 'best before' and 'use by' so don't throw away perfectly good food.
- Set a weekly budget, or save some of your loan/grant, if you have leftover money, blow it at the end of term rather than the beginning otherwise you could end up struggling.
Reply 55
Original post by BryonyParker
Just a list for all Uni students to enlighten us going to Uni of what you wish you had remembered to bring or wish you could of brought.
Could be anything, slippers to alcohol to food.
:smile:

I personally was very well prepared and don't think left ANYTHING at all out. If you are from abroad, I'd recommend a scale for weighing your luggage when going back home. None of my friends remembered to bring one and I know of 2 who had to pay extra for excess baggage.

EDIT - Looking at the list, I actually brought all of the stuff people listed (of the sensible ones)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by kerily
I can't stand Scottish water :no: Even when boiled and put in tea/coffee, it tastes god-awful. Yorkshire water is where it's at :smug:

my water at home comes from the northumbria water bored and its lovely but my family live near hull and they have awful water,like its not even clear unless they filter it and it tastes horrid
Reply 57
Original post by boba
my water at home comes from the northumbria water bored and its lovely but my family live near hull and they have awful water,like its not even clear unless they filter it and it tastes horrid

I used to live near Hull and my water was lovely, so maybe your family are just unlucky? :tongue:
Reply 58
I'd go for a door wedge rather than a door stop. I bought a lovely door stop but it doesn't work cos of it being a fire door :frown:
Reply 59
Brilliant thread idea. My friend showed up at uni with no coathangers and never got around to buying some, so all her clothes are permanently piled in the bottom of her wardrobe.

Quick Reply

Latest