The Student Room Group

Jamies guide to getting into specialty training

Scroll to see replies

Roughly what proportion of people get into their first choice ST post first time round?
Original post by Isometrix
Roughly what proportion of people get into their first choice ST post first time round?

Depends what you mean by ST post. Do you mean CT/ST1 or ST3? For the former, most people get their first choice for the non-runthrough specialities - some like neurosurgery and public health are much more competitive at that level. For ST3 applications, things are generally much more competitive, especially for surgery where 2/3 core surgical trainees don't get a single surgical ST post.
Original post by crazylemon
That must really really suck.

*shrug* It's just extremely poor workforce planning by the Royal College of Surgeons who need the ward cover provided by CTs but not expanding ST numbers similarly. This isn't exactly a secret - most wannabe surgeons know this, but assume that they'll be in the one in three who get a registrar job. Such people deserve everything they get.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Captain Crash
Depends what you mean by ST post. Do you mean CT/ST1 or ST3? For the former, most people get their first choice for the non-runthrough specialities - some like neurosurgery and public health are much more competitive at that level. For ST3 applications, things are generally much more competitive, especially for surgery where 2/3 core surgical trainees don't get a single surgical ST post.

Ah right, yeah I meant what proportion go straight into ST after foundation rather than having to do core training.
Original post by Isometrix
Ah right, yeah I meant what proportion go straight into ST after foundation rather than having to do core training.

Well all surgical, medical and acute specialities require you to do core training before applying for ST posts. The remaining run-through training posts (i.e. speciality training available straight from foundation - paeds, O&G, neurosurgery, radiology) are quite competitive, with the exception of GP training.
Well all surgical, medical and acute specialities require you to do core training before applying for ST posts. The remaining run-through training posts (i.e. speciality training available straight from foundation - paeds, O&G, neurosurgery, radiology) are quite competitive, with the exception of GP training.

Ortho was still available as runthrough in Northern, North Western, Yorkshire, West Mids and Scotland last time I checked. Though ridiculously competitive.

*shrug* It's just extremely poor workforce planning by the Royal College of Surgeons who need the ward cover provided by CTs but not expanding ST numbers similarly. This isn't exactly a secret - most wannabe surgeons know this, but assume that they'll be in the one in three who get a registrar job. Such people deserve everything they get.

What's wrong with optimism? :wink: I might be planning ahead a little, but if I'm one of the 2/3 then I see that as the perfect time to get pregnant.
Reply 46
Original post by Becca-Sarah

What's wrong with optimism? :wink: I might be planning ahead a little, but if I'm one of the 2/3 then I see that as the perfect time to get pregnant.

If you're not working for the NHS though, you run into trouble getting maternity pay.
Reply 47
So here's a question, while we're on the topic of babies... I am mentally formulating my answer to all the standard questions. The one that I'm stuck on is "Where do you see yourself in 10 years' time?" Now, the honest answer is that while I still intend to be working in my chosen specialty, I don't anticipate that I will have completed training as I hope to take time off to have kids and probably work part-time for a while. However, I get the feeling that the answer they want is that you'll be a consultant (or near to) or if you're not it'll be because you've gone to do a PhD/teach/save Africa or something (the former two are still options for me as well, perhaps alongside sprogs!). So should I be honest or should I sell myself as more purely career-minded than I really am?
Original post by Helenia
So here's a question, while we're on the topic of babies... I am mentally formulating my answer to all the standard questions. The one that I'm stuck on is "Where do you see yourself in 10 years' time?" Now, the honest answer is that while I still intend to be working in my chosen specialty, I don't anticipate that I will have completed training as I hope to take time off to have kids and probably work part-time for a while. However, I get the feeling that the answer they want is that you'll be a consultant (or near to) or if you're not it'll be because you've gone to do a PhD/teach/save Africa or something (the former two are still options for me as well, perhaps alongside sprogs!). So should I be honest or should I sell myself as more purely career-minded than I really am?

I don't see how being entirely honest would be of most benefit. Perhaps a white lie or not quite the whole truth would be more useful?
Original post by Helenia

Well, I suppose wouldn't that be mostly down to your own preference? Do you want to be entirely truthful to an employer or not?

It's pretty fair to assume that they would prefer you to say consultant as opposed to taken time off to have kids as the latter comes with a set of problems where as the former does not. I'm sure you already know this though which is why you're asking the question. They can't judge you on the record for wanting to go part time and extend training but there are easily other ways they can reject you for posts due to it if they want to. It's your own morals which will say whether you're fine to lie in an interview to increase your chances to gain a post or not.

I'm probably speaking above my position but that's my two cents anyway.
If it were me I'd just say theres a number of avenues which you're thinking about (which include teaching, further study and children/flexible working) but you'd like to keep an open mind at the moment and explain what action you'll take to help with these decisions. Then just stress your commitment to specialty and perhaps talk about some of your ambitions within that specialty??
I think to an interviewer the grade of doctor you'd like to be in 10 years time matters less than ideas and motivation within the their specialty.
Reply 51
Fortunately, they didn't ask :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by Helenia
Fortunately, they didn't ask :smile:

Does it really matter even if you do say you want kids? After all, with 60-70% of medical students being women the profession has to change.
Reply 53
Original post by Wangers
Does it really matter even if you do say you want kids? After all, with 60-70% of medical students being women the profession has to change.

I know it has to, and it is, to an extent. Legally they can't discriminate against you because of wanting a family, but I get the impression it's not the "right" sort of answer.

God, I really hope I got it this time. :s:
Original post by Helenia

God, I really hope I got it this time. :s:

Is it too soon to be relentlessly checking the offers portal?
Reply 55
Original post by Helenia
The one that I'm stuck on is "Where do you see yourself in 10 years' time?"
In my opinion, that's an opportunity to discuss what you know about the speciality.

"I'd like to have completed my anaesthetic training, hopefully with dual accreditation in intensive care, I'd also like to have taken an OOPE in something like remote or third-world medicine..."
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Thanks for the heads up Jamie, :top:

I'd better get off my backside and get something together.

Wish there was social criteria...

Spoiler

Over a year later and I'm a little smarter, a little wiser, a little fitter, a lot more pub going (didn't think it was possible) but hardly any more glorious in the CV department.

Le bugger.
I can't believe being a runner up for a national prize counts for nothing on the MTAS form!
Original post by i'm no superman
I can't believe being a runner up for a national prize counts for nothing on the MTAS form!

Yeah, pretty ****e. Will do for ST though, surely?
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Yeah, pretty ****e. Will do for ST though, surely?
Lol so I'd need to go into psychiatry for it to count for something?

It's near impossible to get some of those points. I don't think I'll ever get as close to getting it in the next three years before I apply. No harm trying and being a runner up. The certificate looks nice at least!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending