The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Sorry to butt in on your thread :tongue: Is there anyone here that volunteers for St John's Ambulance at their university's Links unit and can tell me what sort of time commitment is involved, please? :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Antifazian
Sorry to butt in on your thread :tongue: Is there anyone here that volunteers for St John's Ambulance at their university's Links unit and can tell me what sort of time commitment is involved, please? :smile:

Hey you're not butting in, questions like yours is what the thread is for.

Sorry I dunno about LINKS specifically, I'm sure someone else does know though. If it's anything like other divisions you barely have to help out at all if you don't want to but you will probably get asked to come on duties a lot but you don't have to go to them.
Original post by KingGoonIan
Hey you're not butting in, questions like yours is what the thread is for.

Sorry I dunno about LINKS specifically, I'm sure someone else does know though. If it's anything like other divisions you barely have to help out at all if you don't want to but you will probably get asked to come on duties a lot but you don't have to go to them.

Ahh ok, that sounds good, just wanted to check that you don't get tied into doing a certain amount of hours when you sign up, as my free time is so different each week.
Thanks for answering. :smile:
Reply 63
Ahh ok, that sounds good, just wanted to check that you don't get tied into doing a certain amount of hours when you sign up, as my free time is so different each week.

You do have to do a min amount of hours when you sign up but they're so low there might as well not be a min. Duties will usually be on different days and at different times a week as well and you can be flexible with the times you attend because you are giving your free time up for nothing.
Reply 64
Hi guys I just joined this society as I'm a new Sja member at a division in London. Started my first training day this week and I have yet to volunteer at an event.
Reply 65
Original post by bala123
Hi guys I just joined this society as I'm a new Sja member at a division in London. Started my first training day this week and I have yet to volunteer at an event.

Nice one, always great news when someone joins SJA :smile:

What did you think of the training? Are you feeling confident about your first event? It took me ages before I felt confident, I was an observer for ages lol.

Well heres to you having a great time in SJA! :beerglass:
Reply 66
i used to volunteer! i did like, 14 months of evening meetings before i fiinally got my induction weekend. then i had to miss one of the three days (due to circumstances out of my control!) and there wasnt another one nearby so i would have had to have waited till next year before i can start doing duties. ive stopped doing it now because it was just wasting everyones time, but its cool that there are so many people doing it around the country!
Reply 67
Nice one, always great news when someone joins SJA :smile:

What did you think of the training? Are you feeling confident about your first event? It took me ages before I felt confident, I was an observer for ages lol.

Well heres to you having a great time in SJA! :beerglass:

Well it was just basic training of CPR and recovery position which I done many times before so it was not something new for me. Obviously the more I do it the better :smile:. Well I am an observer too, so I guess it would take me some time to start feeling confident about what I am doing!
Reply 68
Original post by bala123
Well it was just basic training of CPR and recovery position which I done many times before so it was not something new for me. Obviously the more I do it the better :smile:. Well I am an observer too, so I guess it would take me some time to start feeling confident about what I am doing!

Cool you already are familiar with CPR, personally I feel quite uncomfortable acting out a role play when we get assessed.

Let us know how your first event goes and good luck! :smile:
Reply 69
Cool you already are familiar with CPR, personally I feel quite uncomfortable acting out a role play when we get assessed.

Let us know how your first event goes and good luck! :smile:

Yh I feel a bit awkward when acing it out too. I will sure post about my first event :smile:

Is that because you don't feel confident in your ability, or just the general awkwardness that comes from being watched? :tongue:

I emailed the SJA people at my uni and will be going to my first meeting next week, hopefully starting on a trainee first aid course in February if I can get a place, exciting stuff :smile:

as others have answered the time commitment is variable, the principle concern is if you commit to something fulfill the commitment or let people know in as much time as possible, 'no-shows' are bad for you , bad for SJA , bad for patients and bad for events.
Original post by zippyRN
as others have answered the time commitment is variable, the principle concern is if you commit to something fulfill the commitment or let people know in as much time as possible, 'no-shows' are bad for you , bad for SJA , bad for patients and bad for events.

Of course, i'm not the type of person to just not show up without giving adequate warning. :smile: I just meant for example, if they told me I had to be there every Wednesday, I couldn't commit to that.
Reply 73
Is that because you don't feel confident in your ability, or just the general awkwardness that comes from being watched? :tongue:

I emailed the SJA people at my uni and will be going to my first meeting next week, hopefully starting on a trainee first aid course in February if I can get a place, exciting stuff :smile:

Cos of general awkwardness when it actually comes down to it ant it's for real I do it quickly and correctly - or I have every time I've needed to.

Cool I helped out my local Uni and was well fun we got to deal with causalities from their nightclub and we got unlimited pepsi and fanta organge jugs.
Reply 74
I'm a LINKS member who's currently undergoing my training to become an ETA.

I'd say my most memorable duty was a dubstep event at the SU, we had 4 people go to hospital and quite a few others treated.

There people that went to hospital were:

1) Male found unconscious on dance floor, O2 given and carry chaired up to our post He came round and we found out he had taken a form of ketamine as well as loads of alcohol.

2) Female found on floor outside, taken to first aid post by carry chair where she then became unconscious.

3) Female allegedly punched in face, complaining of C-spine pain. Given entonox and fully immobilised on scoop and then carried to to the ambulance after a long wait (we were on hold to 999 for 10 minutes before we could get through as it was that busy)

4) Male found with reduced consciousness on bench outside venue, very low sats so O2 give through a NP airway as mouth wouldn't open due to trismus. He was the worst as the ambulance crew blued him straight into resus at hospital.

It was a very interesting duty and we had a good debrief the day after. There have been lots of good duties that I've been on but that one was probably the most interesting.
Reply 75
Original post by macca24
I'm a LINKS member who's currently undergoing my training to become an ETA.

I'd say my most memorable duty was a dubstep event at the SU, we had 4 people go to hospital and quite a few others treated.

There people that went to hospital were:

1) Male found unconscious on dance floor, O2 given and carry chaired up to our post He came round and we found out he had taken a form of ketamine as well as loads of alcohol.

2) Female found on floor outside, taken to first aid post by carry chair where she then became unconscious.

3) Female allegedly punched in face, complaining of C-spine pain. Given entonox and fully immobilised on scoop and then carried to to the ambulance after a long wait (we were on hold to 999 for 10 minutes before we could get through as it was that busy)

4) Male found with reduced consciousness on bench outside venue, very low sats so O2 give through a NP airway as mouth wouldn't open due to trismus. He was the worst as the ambulance crew blued him straight into resus at hospital.

It was a very interesting duty and we had a good debrief the day after. There have been lots of good duties that I've been on but that one was probably the most interesting.

Nice one mate that sounds like a really good duty for experience. I can't wait to be at Uni and join their LINKS division. Also impressive that you're training to become an ETA that's quite a commitment too good luck!
Reply 76
Yeah LINKS units are good for duties depending on your relationship with the Student Union/University. If you cover events at the SU then you can expect lots of alcohol/drug intoxication and accidental injuries (obviously you can also help with other unit's events in your area). Since there is no rank in LINKS you don't have the people who think they are amazing and better than people because they are an "officer" either.
Original post by macca24
Yeah LINKS units are good for duties depending on your relationship with the Student Union/University. If you cover events at the SU then you can expect lots of alcohol/drug intoxication and accidental injuries (obviously you can also help with other unit's events in your area). Since there is no rank in LINKS you don't have the people who think they are amazing and better than people because they are an "officer" either.

What you have to remember is that people who hold Officer appointments do so because they have increased levels of responsibility and accountability for service delivery. In a lot of places they are also often very experienced AFAs, ETAs or Health Professionals.

there's only three roles on Duty i've never done ( gold commander, Medical Incident Officer , Lead Paramedic ) ... and two of them are because i'm not a Doctor / Paramedic respectively, and the third (gold) because i'm not a County Priory Officer ...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by zippyRN
What you have to remember is that people who hold Officer appointments do so because they have increased levels of responsibility and accountability for service delivery. In a lot of places they are also often very experienced AFAs, ETAs or Health Professionals.

there's only three roles on Duty i've never done ( gold commander, Medical Incident Officer , Lead Paramedic ) ... and two of them are because i'm not a Doctor / Paramedic respectively, and the third (gold) because i'm not a County Priory Officer ...

Yeah I know it's because they hold a responsibility and I know some who are very good at what they do. Our county ambulance officer is one of the most hard working and professional people I know.

However I also know some who have no idea how to manage and lead people or are not very clinically competent. They manage to be in their position by knowing the right people or saying the right things.

I also wish SJA would move away from worshipping every HCP. Again I know lots who are great at their role and always do training, attend duties, carry out a role at county and generally get the job done. However being a Dr doesn't make a person amazing (a GP of 10 years who has just joined and hasn't done any pre hospital medicine since training usually won't be as good in an emergency situation as a ETA of 5 years who regularly crews.) Obviously if a HCP has relevant experience then this should be accounted for (BASICS Dr/Para/ECP etc...).

I just don't see why there needs to be a rank structure lower down the chain, a LINKS unit consists of a committee that is elected each year and this seems to work fine. We have a Unit Leader, A duty coordinator, Equipment/logistics officer, secretary. If they aren't doing their job then they can be voted out.

Obviously County staff and duty officers/gold/silver/bronze commanders should have ranks at a duty.
Reply 79
Original post by macca24
x

I've heard of divisions within my county where the rankings are totally based on family. Literally everyone in a certain division who has a title are all part of the same family it's so stupid.

In my division we don't really have rankings like officer, we just have people with different skill levels and some people who manage stuff like our ambulances, our money and our members. There is a variation on who gives talks or arranges incident nights sometimes it is from very experienced members of SJA or the HP and other times they aren't so experienced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending