The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone else had a relationship that's gotten less long distance and if so how did that work out?
Because my boyfriend lived in the same town as me, then had to move to Belgium. We started officially going out while he was living there and it worked out fine, I missed him like crazy but he came back quite often and I visited him a couple of times, except now he's back in England but he's off in wiltshire while I'm still in cambs and it's gotten kinda weird. It's like it was fine while we were in different countries but now it's only a couple of counties in the way ... idk.
Well me and my boyfriend have had a very messy break up so I'm no longer in a LDR. Fun times. :/
Original post by ToryGirl
Thanks for the advice :smile: Thank you for the welcome as well, its nice to know the0eir are people out there who understand! So far I just haven't said anything to her... i'm not sure she has even noticed I am offended! The thing is, back to your point about spending time with her, as a house we spend an awful lot of time together. We are all really close friends and have lived together for 3 years now... we do stuff together on an almost daily basis, even if it is jsut crashing in front of the TV, or cooking a sunday roast etc, so I feel she's pretty unjustified to make out we are spending no time together!

hmm....oh well, i'll probably let it slide :rolleyes: I don't like confrontation lol.

No problem! Oh that is a bit strange then. I wasn't sure how long you'd known each other/how much you did, but if you're that close and do do a lot together it sounds like she's being pretty petty. Maybe it's just that you spend so much time together that she really feels your absence when you're gone?! Take it as a compliment haha :tongue: I'm not really in a position to advise taking it up with her, as I'd probably avoid any confrontation too! :tongue:

Original post by outlaw-torn
Well me and my boyfriend have had a very messy break up so I'm no longer in a LDR. Fun times. :/

:hugs:

Original post by Anonymous
Has anyone else had a relationship that's gotten less long distance and if so how did that work out?
Because my boyfriend lived in the same town as me, then had to move to Belgium. We started officially going out while he was living there and it worked out fine, I missed him like crazy but he came back quite often and I visited him a couple of times, except now he's back in England but he's off in wiltshire while I'm still in cambs and it's gotten kinda weird. It's like it was fine while we were in different countries but now it's only a couple of counties in the way ... idk.

I've not been there, but maybe it's that when you're much further away you can cope better because you have it in your head that you can't really see each other that often, but when you're closer you feel the distance more, because it feels like you should be seeing each other now it's easier, but aren't?
Original post by miraclemile

I've not been there, but maybe it's that when you're much further away you can cope better because you have it in your head that you can't really see each other that often, but when you're closer you feel the distance more, because it feels like you should be seeing each other now it's easier, but aren't?
That seems pretty logical, thanks
I've been with my boyfriend for eight months, long distance since September, and he's become progressively more jealous and possessive and I feel it's starting to drive me away. We've discussed this before and he admitted he knew he was being irrational and said he'd be better, but he only temporarily improved. Is it worth bringing it up again? Or should I call it quits? My ex was like this so I know how bad it can get, and alarm bells are ringing... :frown:
Is it normal to feel this much doubt about my boyfriend?

Particularly when I'm away from him, I spend a lot of time wondering if he's the right person. I started seeing him 5 weeks after I broke up with my first boyfriend, and while I considered myself over it, meeting him was so unexpected and it all went too fast. Now I feel like we're missing something important, and I don't know what, but I wish we'd taken it slower at the beginning.

We're coming up to our first anniversary together, and I still feel like in some ways I barely know him. I don't want to say, the 'spark' is missing, because that was the reason I fell for him. We never argue, he spoils me rotten, and he's patient with all my crazy demands and mood swings. He's fun, good-looking, mature, responsible, has a good job, everything I could want. He's only messed up once, and I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and he's never done anything wrong again. Why do I doubt him so much?
Is it normal to feel this much doubt about my boyfriend?

Particularly when I'm away from him, I spend a lot of time wondering if he's the right person. I started seeing him 5 weeks after I broke up with my first boyfriend, and while I considered myself over it, meeting him was so unexpected and it all went too fast. Now I feel like we're missing something important, and I don't know what, but I wish we'd taken it slower at the beginning.

We're coming up to our first anniversary together, and I still feel like in some ways I barely know him. I don't want to say, the 'spark' is missing, because that was the reason I fell for him. We never argue, he spoils me rotten, and he's patient with all my crazy demands and mood swings. He's fun, good-looking, mature, responsible, has a good job, everything I could want. He's only messed up once, and I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and he's never done anything wrong again. Why do I doubt him so much?

Sorry I realise this isn't particularly LDR related, but we are in an international LDR, and never being able to spend time with him makes the doubt in my mind so much stronger.
Going back to Uni this weekend, and just thinking about having to say goodbye to him again makes me feel absolutely heartbroken.
Really fed up of feeling so rotten all of the time we're apart :frown:
Reply 7068
Original post by abigailrebecca
Going back to Uni this weekend, and just thinking about having to say goodbye to him again makes me feel absolutely heartbroken.
Really fed up of feeling so rotten all of the time we're apart :frown:

Don't worry about saying goodbye until it happens, if you spend the next week feeling crap about saying goodbye then you're not going to enjoy the time you have together, focus on that and make the most of it! I know it's difficult but the best advice i can give is once you've said goodbye is to keep busy, it means you don't have time to dwell on the fact they aren't there and also means that when you talk, you have lots to talk about. Throw yourself into work, meet up with friends, take up a new hobby. Honestly, the only reason i don't feel rubbish this time about the boy going back to spain is because i've worked every day he has been gone and haven't really had time to dwell on it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7069
I've been with my boyfriend for eight months, long distance since September, and he's become progressively more jealous and possessive and I feel it's starting to drive me away. We've discussed this before and he admitted he knew he was being irrational and said he'd be better, but he only temporarily improved. Is it worth bringing it up again? Or should I call it quits? My ex was like this so I know how bad it can get, and alarm bells are ringing... :frown:

If alarm bells are ringing then i would say get out of there... I'm aware it's easier said than done but if you've already given him one chance to change and it hasn't worked then its unlikely it will. :hugs::hugs:
Reply 7070
Original post by miraclemile

:ditto: I feel worse in the holidays when i know i could physically see the boy but due to work or money etc I can't... its always worse when the distance is less because you're always thinking surely i should be seeing you more.
Original post by kat91s
My boyfriend went home yesterday too! Tonight was my first night without him again. :frown:

I knew 12 days were going to go quickly, but after waiting 12 weeks it's so frustrating to have to start all over again. At least I'm glad we had a good time over Christmas together. He slept in my hoodie for a night and it still smells of him.... :frown:

Yeah, I empathise with the 'starting over' feeling *hugs*. Hope you're feeling better now, I sort of am. It was actually a bit easier than last time because I was straight back into it, but at the same time during my 'downtime' I've found myself very tired/lethargic and a bit depressed, probably 'cuz I haven't got it out of my system as effectively.

I was going to go on a day out tomorrow (just me, not in a group) to see a new town and keep myself busy, but now I'm feeling like I can't be bothered getting up at 6am and I'd much rather just lie in bed all day and be pathetic...but I did that on Wednesday =/
Original post by Jellybean91
Don't want to go back to being in an international LDR again :cry2: I really cant deal with it right now!

:console: Chin up, you will deal with it, even if it seems otherwise right now! :smile:
Reply 7073
Original post by Jellybean91
Don't want to go back to being in an international LDR again :cry2: I really cant deal with it right now!

Amorrrr! (Darling, for the uninitiated) :hugs:
Original post by I'm_Unsafe.
Yeah, I empathise with the 'starting over' feeling *hugs*. Hope you're feeling better now, I sort of am. It was actually a bit easier than last time because I was straight back into it, but at the same time during my 'downtime' I've found myself very tired/lethargic and a bit depressed, probably 'cuz I haven't got it out of my system as effectively.

I was going to go on a day out tomorrow (just me, not in a group) to see a new town and keep myself busy, but now I'm feeling like I can't be bothered getting up at 6am and I'd much rather just lie in bed all day and be pathetic...but I did that on Wednesday =/

Oooh, you're an ELA in France! I've applied for that, reallyyyy hoping I get it :biggrin: definitely not looking forward to the stress and separation it will impose on my relationship if I do, though.
Reply 7075

Thanks I am feeling better since I made that post. It's so much more difficult to keep myself busy at the moment though, because the weather is terrible and the snow keeps me from going far. I'm just stuck in the mountains. I also feel like I've already run out of things to do here, it's the same thing every weekend and I'm drinking all the time just because I'm bored. It doesn't feel healthy.

I wish I could travel more, but we never get the time off, and the city isn't very well connected, so travelling anywhere other than Kansai or Tokyo requires a whole day of travel and a lot of money. I'm so frustrated! Why couldn't they have placed me somewhere like Osaka!

Definitely go and do your day out, or you'll be sitting around annoyed the whole day that you didn't go! Invite a few friends if it helps. :smile:
Original post by outlaw-torn

:hugs: sorry to hear that, do you have any advice for the rest of us? :/ my own LDR is looking pretty shakey right now (hence anon)
Original post by rainbow drops
Oooh, you're an ELA in France! I've applied for that, reallyyyy hoping I get it :biggrin: definitely not looking forward to the stress and separation it will impose on my relationship if I do, though.

Awesome! Well, you should get it, most people do, you'd have to be pretty unlucky not to.

Well no, it's not easy but France is a lot closer than a lot of places - I initially applied for Quebec but pretty glad I didn't get that now!
The only annoying thing about being in the South is it does make it harder to 'nip over' for a weekend say - the Eurostar only comes down here in the summer so I'd either have to fork out to get to Paris which takes beaucoup de time and money, and working Fridays + beng in the countryside means I can't really get to a big airport without wasting too much time in transit.
BUT it's only a 7 month contract and basically you get there and have a 2 week holiday just after you start, then another two weeks for christmas, then at the end of february and then again in april and then you're done before May!
Where have you put down as your 3 choices?

Original post by kat91s
Thanks I am feeling better since I made that post. It's so much more difficult to keep myself busy at the moment though, because the weather is terrible and the snow keeps me from going far. I'm just stuck in the mountains. I also feel like I've already run out of things to do here, it's the same thing every weekend and I'm drinking all the time just because I'm bored. It doesn't feel healthy.

I wish I could travel more, but we never get the time off, and the city isn't very well connected, so travelling anywhere other than Kansai or Tokyo requires a whole day of travel and a lot of money. I'm so frustrated! Why couldn't they have placed me somewhere like Osaka!

Definitely go and do your day out, or you'll be sitting around annoyed the whole day that you didn't go! Invite a few friends if it helps. :smile:

Good to hear :smile:

Yeah, I appreciate the difficulty getting to 'new' places. Most people I know work a 3 day week max, my roomie does 2 days, but because I'm at so many schools it was hard to co-ordinate so I have to work Fridays which really limits how far I can get over a weekend - I've visited all the nearby Southern towns now and I wanna travel further afield but taking into account the 3/4 hour journeys each way and the cost, it's silly to go for what becomes half a day. Basically, I wanna car!

I ended up compromising, I realised I'd never been to look in Nimes properly and I ought to, given that the last time I ended up stuck there in the station I was in a terrible, terrible mood. Instead of spending hours on the train, it's about 45 minutes not including the connexions and I didn't have to get up til much later, score :biggrin:

If you can't get very far, go local, join an evening class of some sort, just something random, to get out and meet people?
Awesome! Well, you should get it, most people do, you'd have to be pretty unlucky not to.

Well no, it's not easy but France is a lot closer than a lot of places - I initially applied for Quebec but pretty glad I didn't get that now!
The only annoying thing about being in the South is it does make it harder to 'nip over' for a weekend say - the Eurostar only comes down here in the summer so I'd either have to fork out to get to Paris which takes beaucoup de time and money, and working Fridays + beng in the countryside means I can't really get to a big airport without wasting too much time in transit.
BUT it's only a 7 month contract and basically you get there and have a 2 week holiday just after you start, then another two weeks for christmas, then at the end of february and then again in april and then you're done before May!
Where have you put down as your 3 choices?

Thanks for the info! I'd been wondering about how competitive it is for ages, since I don't know anyone that's done it and the website/Facebook page give no indication, so that's reassuring. I'm not doing it as a year abroad thing, so I won't get that priority, but I did get an A in my French A Level, have some experience with kids and got a good uni reference, so fingers crossed.

I haven't actually put any area choices down. I put that I wanted to live in an urban/town area and work at primary level, but that's it. I've been considering phoning the British Council and asking them if they'll add areas to my application, though, because I keep having nightmarish thoughts about ending up in outre-mer or in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere or something, which is not what I want at all >.< I reeeeeally love the idea of Paris but it sounds like it's very hard to find feasible accommodation there and the costs would be a nightmare. Argh. Did you get your first choice?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7079

Yeah, I appreciate the difficulty getting to 'new' places. Most people I know work a 3 day week max, my roomie does 2 days, but because I'm at so many schools it was hard to co-ordinate so I have to work Fridays which really limits how far I can get over a weekend - I've visited all the nearby Southern towns now and I wanna travel further afield but taking into account the 3/4 hour journeys each way and the cost, it's silly to go for what becomes half a day. Basically, I wanna car!

I ended up compromising, I realised I'd never been to look in Nimes properly and I ought to, given that the last time I ended up stuck there in the station I was in a terrible, terrible mood. Instead of spending hours on the train, it's about 45 minutes not including the connexions and I didn't have to get up til much later, score :biggrin:

If you can't get very far, go local, join an evening class of some sort, just something random, to get out and meet people?

That's great! I could do with a car too. I even applied for a driving permit before I left but the AA lost it.

I'm about 4/5 hours from Osaka, Kyoto, and Nagoya, and they are the nearest big towns. Japan is a lot bigger than it looks on the map! There are other smaller towns nearby, but a lot of the transport to points of interest is closed off because of the snow. It's driving me crazy!

The university has societies, but you can't join in the middle of the year (The academic year starts in April over here) so another thing that I can't do for a while yet. I really don't mean to moan but it's so frustrating!

I get 7 weeks off in Feb and March, so I'm focusing on that now. Hopefully I'll be doing some travelling to Hiroshima and Kyushu, as well as a visit home, and my first visit to Tokyo to meet up with a Japanese friend! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending