The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hola_sarah
What worries me is that I don't speak Spanish very well- Im not too great at the accent and pronunciation :/ and also thinking of things to say under pressure is not one of my strong points either :frown:
Did you find that it went okay? As in we're you thinking you'd got a B?
:smile:

I'm not great with the accent and pronunciation as well. I even have pronunciation problems in English. I can't roll my Rs either, but I still got a B! I can't think of things under pressure too, but once the oral exam has started it feels really quick :smile: My teacher actually predicted me an A for my oral exam so I was a little disappointed with the B, but I got an A overall so it's all good, lol. I also made a huge mistake in my oral exam, so I was lucky to get a B. Also, when I think back to starting AS Spanish I thought that I would never be able to get a B in my oral exam and in my mock I got a C or even lower so I was proud of the B overall :smile:
Original post by paige1995
Sarah, you are amazing at Spanish! You come up with really good answers when Johnson quizzes us all about our weekends (and novios...) on a Tuesday morning! :biggrin:

Hahaha :') I don't paige! I told her I bought some new pencils at the weekend (worst answer in the history of bad answers!) your tales of milking cows on the other hand....!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Aha, :wink:
Btw, voy a decir a Señor Ramirez que crees que es guapo :wink:

¡Por favor nooooo!!!!
Reply 43
Original post by liviluck
Yep I do AQA:smile: Ah thank you, haha, any tips for the essays? I was getting around 26-30/35 in class, then in the exam I got 19:/, so I'm hoping i'll do a bit better this time. I think my Spanish teacher might have been a bit generous with the marking, either that or I had a really harsh examiner. Yeah, the listening on the last paper was really ambiguous, so I'm hoping it'll be a bit better this time, last time I understood the vocab, but couldn't' actually work out the answer I found it so ambiguous. Ah I know what you mean, the A2 topics are much more 'meaty', and it's nice to get away from topics like holidays and television, because they were part of the GCSE too so it was all getting rather repetitive! What cultural topics are you doing? Let me know how your friend finds the paper- I'm the only one at my school doing it in this sitting, everyone else is retaking in June. :smile:

I was really lucky with my essay title. I'm really interested in doing volunteer work abroad and I have done some of it in the past and the holiday question was asking whether it was better do volunteer work on your holidays or if holidays were just for relaxing so I had a ton to say in the essay. You're already writing Spanish a lot and that would be one of my tips. Also, content is very important like others have said so maybe when you're planning your essay you could make a list of all the relevant content. Other than that, I don't really have many tips for you. I'm sure you'll do better anyway!
Oh, I hate when my teacher is too kind with essay marking. I'd rather have a harsh teacher. I never got 30/35 in class, but I think that my essay in my exam was much better because I was really into it, lol. That's what I hate about Spanish sometimes. You understand the vocab and the message, but you can't work out the answer because it's too ambiguous. Spanish exams don't just test your Spanish, they test your problem solving skills as well, haha.
I enjoy the topics now, but I hate my teacher. I think the class may fail A2 Spanish because of her. I literally hate her. I want my old Spanish teacher back. She was actually a native as well. I'm studying the film Volver and we're studying the era in Spain when Franco ruled. It's quite interesting. What cultural topics are you studying? I will ask her how it went. I also know someone else on TSR who has the exam on Monday so I'll ask her too :smile:
resitting my spanish AS on moday - think i might have actuallyforgotten everything from last year...

does anyone else have to do an expose on an area? need ideas!!!
Reply 45
¡Por favor nooooo!!!!

You're from Girls High? I wish I had went to that school. You're probably going to get a really good grade in Spanish then because the languages department is awesome at Girls High! I had to teacher a Spanish class for the year 7s there last year :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Sem193
You're from Girls High? I wish I had went to that school. You're probably going to get a really good grade in Spanish then because the languages department is awesome at Girls High! I had to teacher a Spanish class for the year 7s there last year :smile:

Yeah Girls High :smile: haha where do you go?
Reply 47
Yeah Girls High :smile: haha where do you go?

You probably don't know it, but I go to St Chad's. Well it's really Our Lady and St Chad Catholic Sports College but that's too long to write all the time. It's in Bushbury. Have you been at Girls High since year 7?
Original post by Sem193
I'm not great with the accent and pronunciation as well. I even have pronunciation problems in English. I can't roll my Rs either, but I still got a B! I can't think of things under pressure too, but once the oral exam has started it feels really quick :smile: My teacher actually predicted me an A for my oral exam so I was a little disappointed with the B, but I got an A overall so it's all good, lol. I also made a huge mistake in my oral exam, so I was lucky to get a B. Also, when I think back to starting AS Spanish I thought that I would never be able to get a B in my oral exam and in my mock I got a C or even lower so I was proud of the B overall :smile:

Oh well that's not so bad then, 20 minutes sounds like it will last forever though! The GCSE ones were only 5ish minutes and they were bad enough :')
a B is not so bad though :smile: but well done on your A!!! :biggrin:
we have our mock oral on Friday next week and I am terrified! I really don't think I'll do well and considering its our only proper practice at an oral before we will do the real exam, I really don't want to mess up :/
Hay alguien que hace OCR? Encuentro los 'readings' y 'listenings' van bien y los 'writings' tambien, pero los 'speakings' son tan dificiles :frown: Sobre todo el parte donde tienes que dar advisos usando un adverto en Ingles. El vocabulario es muy oscuro y no puedo pensar tan rapido como necesito.

Sin embargo, me encanta aprender Espanol en AS! Al primero habia preocupado que seria demasiado dificil y estresante pero ahora estoy contento que estoy le haciendo. Creo que hablar es lo mas dificil porque necesito much tiempo para pensar sobre cada pregunta...aunque me gusta aprender palabras nueves y leer la revista Glamour en Espanol! Mi madre me dio una subscripcion para me cumpleanos hace dos meses :smile: Pienso que es una manera muy bien para mejorar el vocab y grammario.
Reply 50
Oh well that's not so bad then, 20 minutes sounds like it will last forever though! The GCSE ones were only 5ish minutes and they were bad enough :')
a B is not so bad though :smile: but well done on your A!!! :biggrin:
we have our mock oral on Friday next week and I am terrified! I really don't think I'll do well and considering its our only proper practice at an oral before we will do the real exam, I really don't want to mess up :/

I was actually shocked when you said it was 20 minutes because It didn't feel like it at all! I was actually shocked when the teacher said we were finished! I made a silly mistake on my GCSE Spanish oral exam too and it was on the easier section, haha. Do you go to Girls High too? I bet you'll do well, don't be terrified! I didn't have my mock until April or something so you'll have plenty of time to improve even if you do mess up. To improve your speaking, I'd suggest that you do lots of Spanish talking even if you talk to yourself and you cold read Spanish out loud so that you improve your pronunciation :smile: Just relax. You'll do well and it you don't it's not the end of the world. The most important thing is the actual exam!
Reply 51
Original post by Florence321
Hay alguien que hace OCR? Encuentro los 'readings' y 'listenings' van bien y los 'writings' tambien, pero los 'speakings' son tan dificiles :frown: Sobre todo el parte donde tienes que dar advisos usando un adverto en Ingles. El vocabulario es muy oscuro y no puedo pensar tan rapido como necesito.

Sin embargo, me encanta aprender Espanol en AS! Al primero habia preocupado que seria demasiado dificil y estresante pero ahora estoy contento que estoy le haciendo. Creo que hablar es lo mas dificil porque necesito much tiempo para pensar sobre cada pregunta...aunque me gusta aprender palabras nueves y leer la revista Glamour en Espanol! Mi madre me dio una subscripcion para me cumpleanos hace dos meses :smile: Pienso que es una manera muy bien para mejorar el vocab y grammario.

Leo 'El Pais'. Es muy interesane pero hay muchas palabras dificiles alli. Escuchas la radio espanola tambien? OCR Espanol parece dificil y extrano, jaja. Gracias a dios que estudio AQA Espanol :smile: Mi amiga puede hablar espanol bien. Estoy celosa de ella !
Reply 52
Original post by Sem193
You probably don't know it, but I go to St Chad's. Well it's really Our Lady and St Chad Catholic Sports College but that's too long to write all the time. It's in Bushbury. Have you been at Girls High since year 7?

Yes I've heard of it, I think our school does quite a lot of language associated events with your school. And yes, since year 7 :smile:
Reply 53
HOLA guys, this is a thread for anyone doing as/a-level Spanish, or wishes they were :wink:

¡Hoolaaaaaaaa! jajaja qué chulo.

Estoy estudiando español con AQA.... no pienso que iré hacer bien en mis examenes.... especialmente el pruebo oral... :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Sem193
I was really lucky with my essay title. I'm really interested in doing volunteer work abroad and I have done some of it in the past and the holiday question was asking whether it was better do volunteer work on your holidays or if holidays were just for relaxing so I had a ton to say in the essay. You're already writing Spanish a lot and that would be one of my tips. Also, content is very important like others have said so maybe when you're planning your essay you could make a list of all the relevant content. Other than that, I don't really have many tips for you. I'm sure you'll do better anyway!
Oh, I hate when my teacher is too kind with essay marking. I'd rather have a harsh teacher. I never got 30/35 in class, but I think that my essay in my exam was much better because I was really into it, lol. That's what I hate about Spanish sometimes. You understand the vocab and the message, but you can't work out the answer because it's too ambiguous. Spanish exams don't just test your Spanish, they test your problem solving skills as well, haha.
I enjoy the topics now, but I hate my teacher. I think the class may fail A2 Spanish because of her. I literally hate her. I want my old Spanish teacher back. She was actually a native as well. I'm studying the film Volver and we're studying the era in Spain when Franco ruled. It's quite interesting. What cultural topics are you studying? I will ask her how it went. I also know someone else on TSR who has the exam on Monday so I'll ask her too :smile:

I chose that question too:smile: I really liked it at the time, as I'd done work experience abroad so I compared that with relaxing holidays, and charity work, but only got 10 for content :/. Yeah, I'm currently planning loads of essay titles to get loads of ideas running through my head, because obviously the A2 topics are so different from the AS and I don't want to find I've got nothing to say for the AS! Yeah, my teacher has been much harsher since I did badly last time, so I'm hoping I've actually improved a bit and that she hasn't just got kinder as my exam's got nearer. I think that was another mistake I made, I always planned my essays at home but in the exam forgot to plan it until after I started a bit of it. :s-smilie:
I'm hoping it won't be so ambiguous this time though, as the past papers had always been OK, it was just that exam.
Oh no, that's really annoying! It's irritating having a change of teacher half way through an a level as well, because that's a time when you really need consistency. We're doing Andalucia (the region), and Picasso. I'm not really into art at all but Picasso's been more interesting than I thought it would be! I'm a bit worried that not studying any literature/plays/films isn't preparing me very well for uni though.
Thanks, it would be good to know how they find it as I've not got anyway at my sixth form to discuss it with! :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by a rusH

Estoy estudiando español con AQA.... no pienso que iré hacer bien en mis examenes.... especialmente el pruebo oral... :eek:

I'm doing the same AS subjects as you :wink:
And don't worry about the oral, everyone (apart from one person) seems to feel totally the same about it!! I'm stressing as mine is on Friday but I have a chemistry mock and the other Spanish paper on Monday and Wednesday respectively.... :frown:
Hey everyone! I'm currently doing AS Spanish on AQA and I absolutely love it :biggrin:
Original post by Sem193
I was actually shocked when you said it was 20 minutes because It didn't feel like it at all! I was actually shocked when the teacher said we were finished! I made a silly mistake on my GCSE Spanish oral exam too and it was on the easier section, haha. Do you go to Girls High too? I bet you'll do well, don't be terrified! I didn't have my mock until April or something so you'll have plenty of time to improve even if you do mess up. To improve your speaking, I'd suggest that you do lots of Spanish talking even if you talk to yourself and you cold read Spanish out loud so that you improve your pronunciation :smile: Just relax. You'll do well and it you don't it's not the end of the world. The most important thing is the actual exam!

Yeah, I do :smile: what a co-incidence that you're so close to us! :')
Okay, I might try speaking practice then, thanks!!
Thank you for all your advice :smile:
Original post by a rusH

Hola! I'm worried about the oral too :frown: :')
Just out of curiosity, are you a Coldplay fan? :smile: Or do you just like that picture? :tongue:
Original post by Sem193
Leo 'El Pais'. Es muy interesane pero hay muchas palabras dificiles alli. Escuchas la radio espanola tambien? OCR Espanol parece dificil y extrano, jaja. Gracias a dios que estudio AQA Espanol :smile: Mi amiga puede hablar espanol bien. Estoy celosa de ella !

Ah cual tienes que hacer para AQA? Con OCR tenemos que hacer dos Speakings, una sobre una tema que eligimos asi que es bastante interesante y no es demasiado malo. No obstante en el segundo examen no podemos eligir la tema - es un 'Role-Play' - generalmente tienes que ser una persona que trabaje en una oficina de tourisma y explicar las razones para una visita a un lugar, por ejemplo una que hizo la semana pasado era sobre El Ojo de Londres (the London Eye!) y las facilidades alli etc. Otra era sobre como estar seguro en los centros comerciales con ninos...

Si, tambien estoy muy celosa de las personas que pueden hablar bien Espanol, es una idioma genial! Por otro lado encuentro aprender la lengua muy divertida y me gusta saber que estoy mejorando.

Me gusta leer El Pais y El Mundo, son mas interesantes que siempre leer sobre las temas del examen. Mi profesor me recomiende que yo escuche a la radio pero no me gusta la musica que tocan! Me gusta escuchar a bandas como Mumford & Sons, Two Door Cinema Club y Florence + the Machine pero en las estaciones Espanolas todo la musica parece ser la musica de baile. Que estacion escuchas?

No tengo ningunos amigos que estudian Espanol con yo al mismo colegio, es bueno hablar en Espanol con otros aqui!!
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending