The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by minniiee
loooooooads in dalston too
best lahmacun resturant ever there :smile:

Dalston is basically Turkey :lol:

Lamachun :sogood: One of the best foods EVER!
Original post by Akkuz

Lamachun :sogood: One of the best foods EVER!

haha i know
i go all the way there just to get my hair cut cos they do it cheaper than anywhere else - especially when im with my turkish speaking mum lol (its like an hour/hour n a half in the car)

oh i know!
wish i hadnt mentioned it - craving one soo bad now!
with a nice cold gazoz
mmmmmmmmmmmm :smile: :smile:
Reply 922
Original post by Akkuz
Sounds yummy. Edmunton is one of the Turk centrals of London :holmes:.

yeh i knoww bare turkish mans up in north london lol, you from there?
Original post by Akkuz

Harringay Green Lanes is 'Little Turkey'.
Reply 924
Original post by ibs137
yeh i knoww bare turkish mans up in north london lol, you from there?

Nope, I'm not from there, thankfully. I hate the amount of little wannabe gangsters there are around those areas.
Reply 925
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Harringay Green Lanes is 'Little Turkey'.

Yep. I watched a programme once when they talked about the turkish mafia on green lane, and all their hide-outs were in kebab shops :jester:

I've had a nice kebab up there before too :colone:
Reply 926
haha i know
i go all the way there just to get my hair cut cos they do it cheaper than anywhere else - especially when im with my turkish speaking mum lol (its like an hour/hour n a half in the car)

oh i know!
wish i hadnt mentioned it - craving one soo bad now!
with a nice cold gazoz
mmmmmmmmmmmm :smile: :smile:

It's 4.38am and I;m craving one of those bad boys
Original post by Akkuz
Nope, I'm not from there, thankfully. I hate the amount of little wannabe gangsters there are around those areas.

Where are you from? :holmes:
Original post by Akkuz
Yep. I watched a programme once when they talked about the turkish mafia on green lane, and all their hide-outs were in kebab shops :jester:

I've had a nice kebab up there before too :colone:

mums had to interpret for some of the people like that haha
Reply 929
mums had to interpret for some of the people like that haha

Your mum interpreted for the mafia? :s-smilie:

Where are you from? :holmes:

I float between the borders of London/Essex, East Sussex, and Turkey. I haven't stayed a single place for longer than 5 months, for 3-4 years now. :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Akkuz
I float between the borders of London/Essex...

Dagenham and Redridge?

Akkuz
...East Sussex...

Brighton?

Akkuz
...and Turkey.

Istanbul?

These are such broad terms of description. What are you trying to hide?

Akkuz
I haven't stayed a single place for longer than 5 months, for 3-4 years now.

To make you more difficult to find? :holmes:
Reply 931
X

One of those locations was correct :tongue:

Nothing wrong, not wanting to say my precise locations on a forum? :colondollar: I would am a Londoner, although I will need to chose between London or Istanbul as my permanent home in a year or two. :sad: Such a tough choice to make
Original post by Akkuz
One of those locations was correct :tongue:

Okay, I'm assuming Istanbul was correct.

Akkuz
Nothing wrong, not wanting to say my precise locations on a forum? :colondollar:

Here's a response of mine to someone who'd failed to cough up, like you, and it's just as applicable:

I really do not understand this attitude. Even if you were to put a picture of your house up on here it would not put you under any sort of greater danger unless there was someone on here who really hated you and was seriously psychotic. At the end of the day, your house still exists in the real world and is as vulnerable as it will ever be. It makes no difference whether you post it up on here or not.

Besides, that isn't what I'm asking of you. Suppose I was your sworn enemy with murderous tendencies, and suppose you'd given a normal answer like 'Brixton', 'Tottenham', or 'Catford'. There are easily over a hundred thousand people in each of these places. In order to find you I'd have to know very well what you looked like and then I'd have to spend many weeks camped outside a shopping centre in the district, perhaps, hoping that you'd one day appear before my eyes and that I'd be lucky enough to actually spot you among the crowd.

Think about it.

Akkuz
I would am a Londoner, although I will need to chose between London or Istanbul as my permanent home in a year or two. :sad: Such a tough choice to make

It is indeed. I could very well be in the same position as you within a few years time.

On the one hand, I hate London for so many reasons, namely for its miserable weather. People say British weather's unpredictable. I say, 'what a load of ****! It's guaranteed to be drear and cloudy.' But on the other hand, it is also such a versatile city with a lot to offer, and Istanbul is not without its problems.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 933
It is indeed. I could very well be in the same position as you within a few years time.

On the one hand, I hate London for so many reasons, namely for its miserable weather. People say British weather's unpredictable. I say, 'what a load of ****! It's guaranteed to be drear and cloudy.' But on the other hand, it is also such a versatile city with a lot to offer, and Istanbul is not without its problems.

I've weighed up the pro's and con's. Istanbul is far superior. More jobs, better economy, excellent (private) healthcare, cheaper houses, better weather (and hotter ladies :sexface:). The only hard part is leaving everybody behind. i'd recommend you opt for Istanbul :holmes:.
Original post by Akkuz
I've weighed up the pro's and con's. Istanbul is far superior. More jobs, better economy, excellent (private) healthcare, cheaper houses, better weather (and hotter ladies :sexface:). The only hard part is leaving everybody behind. i'd recommend you opt for Istanbul :holmes:.

Most Turkish people are 'backwards'. They're decades behind us. They're building 'shopping centres' and are revelling in them, and little do they realise that they're destroying what makes Turkey great (and what once made England great). The shops, the markets, etc. We know the consequences, and they'll probably learn their lesson in a few decades. But by then it will be too late. And that is just one example of many 'American/West worshipping' that goes on in Turkey.

Not to mention they're politically backwards as well. Still 'worshipping' a man who died many decades ago. He runs the country from his deathbed. Turkey's so backwards that a man who died in 1938 still 'runs the country'.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to integrate with these people. They'd grind me to the bone. What I hate about the UK I cannot escape by going to Turkey. It's all the same over there, just a few decades in the past and more importantly, artificial!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 935
Most Turkish people are 'backwards'. They're decades behind us. They're building 'shopping centres' and are revelling in them, and little do they realise that they're destroying what makes Turkey great (and what once made England great). The shops, the markets, etc. We know the consequences, and they'll probably learn their lesson in a few decades. But by then it will be too late. And that is just one example of many 'American/West worshipping' that goes on in Turkey.

Not to mention they're politically backwards as well. Still 'worshipping' a man who died many decades ago. He runs the country from his deathbed. Turkey's so backwards that a man who died in 1938 still 'runs the country'.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to integrate with these people. They'd grind me to the bone. What I hate about the UK I cannot escape by going to Turkey. It's all the same over there, just a few decades in the past and more importantly, artificial!

Depends what you want bro. I just decent life and there's a higher chance of getting that in Istanbul. All countries are naturally westernising. Your thinking too much into it. Furthermore Istanbul is full of so much history, it cannot completely westernise. It's so beautiful :holmes: Everywhere has its pros/cons. I have a job offer from the most important firm in Turkey. I'd be crazy to turn it down but I want to experience work in some different countries before I go. In England, I'd need to waste time filling out hundreds of applications then once I do finally get a job most of my wages taxed off me. Whereas in Turkey I can buy a flat in 2 years. I may stay here for a year or two and get some UK experience on my CV, though.

UK degree + UK Masters
In the UK you will be average.
In Turkey you will be a somebody.

And that's the reality. I.e. in Turkey if you work in a Bank/Police/Airport people give you high respect lol :adore:
Original post by Akkuz
Your mum interpreted for the mafia? :s-smilie:

I float between the borders of London/Essex, East Sussex, and Turkey. I haven't stayed a single place for longer than 5 months, for 3-4 years now. :holmes:

idk if for the mafia
but for bad people who do bad things and own kebab shops yes
she has had one or two high profile cases but obviously shes not usually allowed to tell me the details
i live in essex :smile:
in the north though much nicer than basildon/romford/southend etc (no offence)
Reply 937
idk if for the mafia
but for bad people who do bad things and own kebab shops yes
she has had one or two high profile cases but obviously shes not usually allowed to tell me the details
i live in essex :smile:
in the north though much nicer than basildon/romford/southend etc (no offence)

None taken. Don't live around those areas :tongue: My parents want to move to Essex, but I'm very much against it. :holmes:
Original post by Akkuz
None taken. Don't live around those areas :tongue: My parents want to move to Essex, but I'm very much against it. :holmes:

why? some bits are nice :smile:
i prefer living there to in the city (manchester) when im at uni
Reply 939
why? some bits are nice :smile:
i prefer living there to in the city (manchester) when im at uni

I love central London. Living in Essex, will mean, I'm further away from central. Plus I don't like the posh Essex culture. Doesn't suit me at all! Plus, all the girls look like they've slept in a pool of orange paint. :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest