The Student Room Group

Funniest mistakes you've made/heard of from medicine interviews?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anoneemous
I heard someone from my college went to an oxford interview and his phone went off playing this as the ring tone (Coki - burnin)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1q84ceFedo
sorry i dont know how to embed videos

Did they get in???
Reply 181
Not that "funny" but very awkward just because how blunt I was

Interviewer: What are the symptoms of Bird Flu?
Me: Erm, I don't know, sorry.
*The panel is full of judgement*
Interviewer: Ok...

You had to be there to appreciate the "so awkward that it's so funny"-ness of it!
Reply 182
Interviewer: So I see you mentioned in your personal statement that doctors need integrity. What does integrity mean?

Me: ermm....being innovative? :s-smilie:

Rejection. Haha, kinda blanked out, know what it means now :P
Was at cardiff btw
Me at Newcastle interview:

Interviewer looking at me, waiting for me to stop rambling. He winks at me ... (WTF, i think, stress must be getting to me). He does it again (i'm very confused now so I wink back :wink:

Interviewer: sorry, BTW, i have a slight facial tick .... facepalm
Me: Ooooh, aaah reallly. I get one when I'm nervous too.
And he believed me as well :smile:
This happened at an interview I had last year for medicine (so dumb I know!).
Interviewer: So what are your weaknesses?
Me: Hmmm well I have soo many. Where do you want me to start?
Interviewer: (not trying to look to shocked) Well start from the beginning?

Gosh talk about trying to sell yourself. I immediately regretted it after I said it but I blame it on my nerves:confused::rolleyes:. Needless to say i got rejected from that particular uni!
Reply 185
Original post by theshowmustgoon
Me at Newcastle interview:

Interviewer looking at me, waiting for me to stop rambling. He winks at me ... (WTF, i think, stress must be getting to me). He does it again (i'm very confused now so I wink back :wink:

Interviewer: sorry, BTW, i have a slight facial tick .... facepalm
Me: Ooooh, aaah reallly. I get one when I'm nervous too.
And he believed me as well :smile:

you are mark corrigan :lol:
Reply 186
Original post by kingme
you are mark corrigan :lol:

you are super hans
Found this funny:
interviewer:so what do you do when your stressed?
me: i love running
interviewer:right, what if youve had a real ****ty day at work, your favourite patient dies....
me:id go for a run when i got home
interviewer:its raining.
me:well id go to the gym and run on the treadmills where it isnt raining.
Reply 188
Managed to somehow get onto the topic of rectal examinations in a mock interview and then continue talking about them for about 5 minutes. My brain was constantly screaming "Why are you talking about this?!?!?" :zomg:.
The chairs at King's were really low and when I tried to get up, I managed to fall right back into the chair with the two interviews standing there with hands outstreched for a handshake and :lolwut: looks on their faces. :facepalm:
I managed to call a surgery simulator a "surgical stimulator". When I realised my mistake, I didn't correct myself - I just narrowed my eyes menacingly (I do that when I realise I've cocked something up) and the interviewer sat there looking half amused and half disturbed.

Hence, I am not expecting an offer from St. Andrews.
Interview for kings:

I can't remember exactly how the conversation went but it was the general gist of:

Interviewer: so why medicine not nursing or something similar?

Me:I've spent a lot of time in the hospital as both a patient and a volunteer, and it always seems to be the nursing staff who are rude and don't particularly listen to the patients, I would more like the opportunity to see patients and treat the, with the respect they deserve.

Interviewer: oh so what about the way the nurses treated the staff seemed so disrespectful?

Me (I may as well have just screamed at her all nurses are bitches) well they wouldn't listen to any of the patients, there were patients who called but no one came, and when people did come the basically shrugged their shoulders. I don't really want to be like that, I want to actually do something meaningful.

Interviewer: ah I see, what trust was this?

Me:st helier and Epsom.

Interviewer: ah, I'm a nurse and I've worked in that trust before.

Me: (trying to back pedal after the realisation of what I've just been saying) oh of course I realise nurses are very busy and...

Then the bell went and I had to move along.

I would just like to make it clear, I do not think that about nurses, but in the pressure of the moment I just started to speak rubbish! Needless to say I didn't get in :tongue:
Reply 192
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I managed to call a surgery simulator a "surgical stimulator". When I realised my mistake, I didn't correct myself - I just narrowed my eyes menacingly (I do that when I realise I've cocked something up) and the interviewer sat there looking half amused and half disturbed.

Hence, I am not expecting an offer from St. Andrews.

Pssh, in one of my interviews I referred to "PBL" as "the thing" - pressure got to me. :zomg:

Managed to correct myself straight-away but they didn't seem too impressed. :frown:
Last year I was asked out of politeness if I had anything interesting planned for the rest of the day and I told them (and I forget my exact wording - it was a bit of a blur) that I was heading straight for the nearest pub to get hammered.

Not sure how it went down to be honest - there was a few seconds of silence then I just walked out the door.
Reply 194
Original post by Organ
you are super hans

I wish :lol:
Haha, oh God, so many from my interview! A couple of things about UEA: it's MMI which means you have to go into a station every five minutes and go through the awkwardness of trying to make a good first impression seven times. You also get a piece of paper with stickers that have your name on- at each station, you peel off a sticker, give it to the interviewer and then take the rest of the sheet with you.

*walk in to a station, where blinds are up and sun is streaming in*
Me: OH MY GOD THE SUN IS BLINDING!
*Then sit down, squinting at the interviewer pitifully until he takes pity on me and gets up and closes the blinds.*

*walk into station having forgotten the sticker thing we had to give to the interviewer*
Me: oh, MAN!! I FORGOT MY STICKER THING!
Interviewer: Well, go and get it...
*I run out of room, and start to storm into the previous room, where SOMEONE ELSE is getting interviewed. Get stopped by the people who were telling us which station to go into next, they hiss "I'll get it" at me*
*Have to do a walk of shame, empty handed, back into the interview room, where I tell the interviewer how to spell my name so she can write it down. She seems a bit annoyed about that, for some reason.* I later realise my name was stuck on my ****ing chest.

*Walk into interview room*
Interviewer: Hello, I'm blah blah and I work for blah blah blah
*puts out hand for handshake*
Me: *sit for a few seconds wondering why the hell her hand is stuck out in front of me.*
*For some inexplicable reason, decide to shove the piece of paper with the stickers with my name on into her palm, probably giving her a papercut in her in the process. Eventually, I shamefully realise that, in the adult world, people shake hands*

That's not even including stupid answers I gave :laugh: Needless to say, I'm expecting a rejection.
One interview i went to they stressed about 10 times the importance of answering the question asked and not the question you want to hear...
You can probably guess what i did...
They did not look impressed :colondollar:
Reply 197
I was asked a very standard question of... Tell me a situation where you have shown good communication?

I started talking about a challenging resident I encountered whilst volunteering at a care home - by the end of my explanation I managed to make the lady blind, deaf and dumb! God knows how I managed that, as well as giving a specific example that would enable her to see...

Safe to say I felt rather stupid... I was then asked 'so to clarify is she blind and deaf or just blind?'

I then said... 'sorry I must have got the residents mixed up!'

Probably not very funny - I felt more idiotic!
Reply 198
Original post by Parle à ma main
Haha, oh God, so many from my interview! A couple of things about UEA: it's MMI which means you have to go into a station every five minutes and go through the awkwardness of trying to make a good first impression seven times. You also get a piece of paper with stickers that have your name on- at each station, you peel off a sticker, give it to the interviewer and then take the rest of the sheet with you.

*walk in to a station, where blinds are up and sun is streaming in*
Me: OH MY GOD THE SUN IS BLINDING!
*Then sit down, squinting at the interviewer pitifully until he takes pity on me and gets up and closes the blinds.*

*walk into station having forgotten the sticker thing we had to give to the interviewer*
Me: oh, MAN!! I FORGOT MY STICKER THING!
Interviewer: Well, go and get it...
*I run out of room, and start to storm into the previous room, where SOMEONE ELSE is getting interviewed. Get stopped by the people who were telling us which station to go into next, they hiss "I'll get it" at me*
*Have to do a walk of shame, empty handed, back into the interview room, where I tell the interviewer how to spell my name so she can write it down. She seems a bit annoyed about that, for some reason.* I later realise my name was stuck on my ****ing chest.

*Walk into interview room*
Interviewer: Hello, I'm blah blah and I work for blah blah blah
*puts out hand for handshake*
Me: *sit for a few seconds wondering why the hell her hand is stuck out in front of me.*
*For some inexplicable reason, decide to shove the piece of paper with the stickers with my name on into her palm, probably giving her a papercut in her in the process. Eventually, I shamefully realise that, in the adult world, people shake hands*

That's not even including stupid answers I gave :laugh: Needless to say, I'm expecting a rejection.

that is just :laugh:
Don't worry, sure u will do well :smile:
Reply 199
At sheffield,
There was a plate of cookies in front of me and they offered me to take one. So, I got up, picked up the plate and a cookie and sat down, tried putting the plate back to the table, somehow didn't judge where the table was, the plate with the cookies ended up on the floor and when i got up at the end to shake hands, I stepped on the cookies, cookie crumbs everywhere. So stupid. :s

Quick Reply

Latest