The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tianuk3
I'm sure you will get a A100 interview then, it wouldn't really make sense otherwise :-)

Yeh, I'm not too fussed about my course leader's reference now, just at the time I was slightly baffled it looked like it hadn't been proof read :angry:

Oh I calculated the difference in cost of the Graduate and Under Graduate course for a Graduate Student if anyone is interested? (Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I know they are simple calculations but easy to see difference):

Under Graduate:
Year 1:9000
Year 2:9000
Year 3:9000
Year 4:9000
Year 5:0 (NHS Bursary)

Total Tuition Fees: £36,000
Not applicable for Student Loan

Then a means tested maitenance Loan for each year

Graduate
Year 2:5535 (with partial NHS Bursary)
Year 3:5535 (with partial NHS Bursary)
Year 4:5535 (with partial NHS Bursary)

Total Tuition Fees: £25605
Applicable for Student Loan

Your calculations are correct from all the info I've read since last Summer when the new system was announced :yes: The GEP offers a pretty sweet deal: tuition fee loan and a ~£10.5K saving.
Reply 2901
Democracy
Your calculations are correct from all the info I've read since last Summer when the new system was announced :yes: The GEP offers a pretty sweet deal: tuition fee loan and a ~£10.5K saving.

It certainly does. Also one year less so you the graduate would have probably been working as a junior doctor on roughly 28k for one year.

A pity I was rejected by both my graduate choices , supposedly they are not sure if they will continue to provide a bursary for years 2,3,4 for entry 2013.
Original post by tianuk3
I'm sure you will get a A100 interview then, it wouldn't really make sense otherwise :-)

Yeh, I'm not too fussed about my course leader's reference now, just at the time I was slightly baffled it looked like it hadn't been proof read :angry:

Oh I calculated the difference in cost of the Graduate and Under Graduate course for a Graduate Student if anyone is interested? (Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I know they are simple calculations but easy to see difference):

Under Graduate:
Year 2:9000
Year 3:9000
Year 4:9000
Year 5:0 (NHS Bursary)

Total Tuition Fees: £36,000
Not applicable for Student Loan

Graduate
Year 2:5535 (with partial NHS Bursary)
Year 3:5535 (with partial NHS Bursary)
Year 4:5535 (with partial NHS Bursary)

Total Tuition Fees: £25605
Applicable for Student Loan

Not quite!

Graduates applying for GEM at least are allowed to apply for a student tuition fee loan to cover the rise in costs, so for the first year you'd pay £3465, with the loan covering the rest. And years 2-4 the NHS covers the £3465 and tuition fee loan covers the rest of it :yy:

Not sure on the criteria when you apply for these loans as they're new for next year and also not sure if it applies for the 5/6 year programmes, but there's some info on Nottingham GEMs website here: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studentservices/financialsupport/studentfunding/fundingforgemstudents.aspx
Hey everyone ... i'm not a med applicant, but i saw this and thought of you guys, hope you enjoy :biggrin:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2904
Original post by tianuk3
It certainly does. Also one year less so you the graduate would have probably been working as a junior doctor on roughly 28k for one year.

A pity I was rejected by both my graduate choices , supposedly they are not sure if they will continue to provide a bursary for years 2,3,4 for entry 2013.

I'm probably one of the few graduates to say this, but to be honest, I'd actually prefer to go for the 5 year course as opposed to the 4 year, if I had a choice. Yes, finance is a big issue, but then medicine is an investment anyway, and it wouldn't make too much of a difference in the long term - at the end of the day, you'll be doctoring for ~40 years. The important thing to me is that a good foundation has to be set. Not saying GEP courses can't, but I feel that I'd be overall happier in the 5 year course. With an extra year, It'd allow me to have more time to settle down, more time to develop my skills, as well as having more time for social activities, oh, and a significantly bigger year group is also a bonus. :wink:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Not quite!

Graduates applying for GEM at least are allowed to apply for a student tuition fee loan to cover the rise in costs, so for the first year you'd pay £3465, with the loan covering the rest. And years 2-4 the NHS covers the £3465 and tuition fee loan covers the rest of it :yy:

This is totally right, I missed this :facepalm:

Original post by tianuk3

Sorry to hear that. So your remaining choies are BL A100 and...?
Reply 2906
Original post by Panda89
I'm probably one of the few graduates to say this, but to be honest, I'd actually prefer to go for the 5 year course as opposed to the 4 year, if I had a choice. Yes, finance is a big issue, but then medicine is an investment anyway, and it wouldn't make too much of a difference in the long term - at the end of the day, you'll be doctoring for ~40 years. The important thing to me is that a good foundation has to be set. Not saying GEP courses can't, but I feel that I'd be overall happier in the 5 year course. With an extra year, It'd allow me to have more time to settle down, more time to develop my skills, as well as having more time for social activities, oh, and a significantly bigger year group is also a bonus. :wink:

I agree with you on the social and academic aspect, but when you don't have 36,000 or so pounds saved up for the course and your parents cannot provide any financial support whatsoever then it is a completely different matter. If I had a choice and could do the graduate course and have 10,000 or do the undergraduate, I would pick the undergraduate but I am unfortunately not in that position.

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Not quite!

Not sure on the criteria when you apply for these loans as they're new for next year and also not sure if it applies for the 5/6 year programmes, but there's some info on Nottingham GEMs website here: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studentservices/financialsupport/studentfunding/fundingforgemstudents.aspx

Hehe, i think you missed my bit where I said "Applicable for Student Loan", i meant eligible hence why there could be a bit of confusion.
Original post by Democracy
This is totally right, I missed this :facepalm:

You're welcome :wink:

Original post by tianuk3
I agree with you on the social and academic aspect, but when you don't have 36,000 or so pounds saved up for the course and your parents cannot provide any financial support whatsoever then it is a completely different matter. If I had a choice and could do the graduate course and have 10,000 or do the undergraduate, I would pick the undergraduate but I am unfortunately not in that position.

Hehe, i think you missed my bit where I said "Applicable for Student Loan", i meant eligible hence why there could be a bit of confusion.

Haha I did indeed!

Ah well, it's now clear how GEM fees are funded so nevermind :flute:
Reply 2908
Democracy

Newcastle A100, perhaps a silly choice as I am pretty sure a UKCAT score of 655 is too low for them. Time to wait and see I guess.
Reply 2909
I agree with people that it can be a bit unfair but if you get in. Barts would be very high in the league tables(i know that these mean jackcrap) but school leavers do place a huge importance on them so i really do think that barts in a couple more years would join the elite schools such as oxbridge, UCL and Imperial particularly with the expansion of the trust and the royal London. But i still think that making it a grad friendly place really is not the best place to go but thats just my view.
Reply 2910
Original post by tianuk3

You do have a choice, hence that's the reason you've applied for two 5 year courses. :smile: But yes, I do understand that it would be very hard for you to fund it as you'll have to do extra work to support your education.

Original post by Tripo
I agree with people that it can be a bit unfair but if you get in. Barts would be very high in the league tables(i know that these mean jackcrap) but school leavers do place a huge importance on them so i really do think that barts in a couple more years would join the elite schools such as oxbridge, UCL and Imperial particularly with the expansion of the trust and the royal London. But i still think that making it a grad friendly place really is not the best place to go but thats just my view.

All med schools are different. Some like graduates (Barts, Manchester, HYMS, etc), some don't even accept them to the 5 year course (St.George's). It's the same as the initial academic screening - some place high emphasis on UKCAT, while others use BMAT, or combination of factors, etc. At the end of the day, you've done your research on a specific med school and decided to apply there.

P.S. there are no "elite" med schools.
It is true that some people are at a disadvantage however we all know pretty well what particular medical schools are looking for. Based on that, and your own academic/non-academic profile, one has to make an informed choice about which medical schools they apply to. For example I've got a terrible UKCAT of 617.5. I wouldn't even dream about applying to places like Sheffield or KCL. But if I did apply there, then I would be in no position of complaining about being treated unfairly.
Did anyone else get an email from barts?
Yep. My heart skipped a beat, and that's an understatement.
Reply 2914
Original post by Jasmine_777

Did anyone else get an email from barts?

email regarding what? If its confirmation of your application then everybody should have got one(check your junk mail, i found mine there), if you haven't even received a confirmation email where have you been? lol but id phone them if i were you. If its regarding an interview then not everybody has received an interview.
Reply 2915
Original post by ViceVersa

what email? what did it say? you already had an interview didn't you?
Original post by Tripo
email regarding what? If its confirmation of your application then everybody should have got one(check your junk mail, i found mine there), if you haven't even received a confirmation email where have you been? lol but id phone them if i were you. If its regarding an interview then not everybody has received an interview.

email about applying for a scholarship... makes no sense cause I thought they'd ask you after you got a place about applying for these things and also... I'm not eligible for it anyways !
Reply 2917
Got an interview.
Reply 2918

email about applying for a scholarship... makes no sense cause I thought they'd ask you after you got a place about applying for these things and also... I'm not eligible for it anyways !

loooooooool. I hear that admissions love to play these games. Apparently last year warwick and kings etc send out christmas cards that look official so people think they're interview or offers.
Original post by Tripo
loooooooool. I hear that admissions love to play these games. Apparently last year warwick and kings etc send out christmas cards that look official so people think they're interview or offers.

lol how v. nice... yet v. cruel! :tongue:

Quick Reply