The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I am thinking of heading to Toronto in Jan 2013.
Reply 421
Hello everyone! I think it's been a while since I posted here.

I found a job as a part time seasonal CER working for Indigo (big chain of bookshops) but that's ending soon, and it didn't even cover my rent anyway. My parents are still helping me out a bit even though they didn't plan to, and I have to find another job really quickly, but a part-time minimum wage one won't pay enough so I'll need to find at least two.

To be honest, I'm sort of wondering if it's worth staying for a year. I could just travel for a little bit then go home and try and find a proper, full time graduate job without having to pay the massive costs associated with living in a city. I'm losing money every month I stay here and I feel really guilty for putting this financial pressure on my parents.

I'm thinking about staying here for another couple of months (so as not to waste my metropass, give notice to my landlord, use up my food etc) then go travelling for maybe a month before going home. Preferably trying to find a job to go back to before I leave. It's just with all this economic crapness I'm stressed and worried, and I want to make a start on getting a proper job and starting to pay my parents back. Working crap minimum wage jobs doesn't appeal as much anymore :frown:

I don't want to make any rash decisions, as I might just be going through a bad patch (especially since I'm having to leave my job at Indigo, which I really loved, and I'll miss everyone there). So I need people's opinions! What do you think?? :s-smilie:
Original post by lazyswot
Hello everyone! I think it's been a while since I posted here.

I found a job as a part time seasonal CER working for Indigo (big chain of bookshops) but that's ending soon, and it didn't even cover my rent anyway. My parents are still helping me out a bit even though they didn't plan to, and I have to find another job really quickly, but a part-time minimum wage one won't pay enough so I'll need to find at least two.

To be honest, I'm sort of wondering if it's worth staying for a year. I could just travel for a little bit then go home and try and find a proper, full time graduate job without having to pay the massive costs associated with living in a city. I'm losing money every month I stay here and I feel really guilty for putting this financial pressure on my parents.

I'm thinking about staying here for another couple of months (so as not to waste my metropass, give notice to my landlord, use up my food etc) then go travelling for maybe a month before going home. Preferably trying to find a job to go back to before I leave. It's just with all this economic crapness I'm stressed and worried, and I want to make a start on getting a proper job and starting to pay my parents back. Working crap minimum wage jobs doesn't appeal as much anymore :frown:

I don't want to make any rash decisions, as I might just be going through a bad patch (especially since I'm having to leave my job at Indigo, which I really loved, and I'll miss everyone there). So I need people's opinions! What do you think?? :s-smilie:

How long have you been out there? Sounds a bit like home sickness is creeping in. This could be your one and only opportunity to do this before a grad job, so personally I'd stick it out a bit longer. If it's still really not doing it for you then yes, head home!
I am filling out my application to go to Vancouver in June 2012, already done the police check form.
Reply 424
Original post by ChrisBan
How long have you been out there? Sounds a bit like home sickness is creeping in. This could be your one and only opportunity to do this before a grad job, so personally I'd stick it out a bit longer. If it's still really not doing it for you then yes, head home!

I've been here for 4 months, and I'd have to stay another couple at least to sort everything out and go travelling, so it would be more like 6 or 7.

Argh, I don't know. I just feel like I've kind of done it now, so there's not as much reason to stay for longer. I'm still thinking about it!
Reply 425
I've been here for 4 months, and I'd have to stay another couple at least to sort everything out and go travelling, so it would be more like 6 or 7.

Argh, I don't know. I just feel like I've kind of done it now, so there's not as much reason to stay for longer. I'm still thinking about it!

Sorry to hear you're not having great luck on the job front. There probably is an element of post-Christmas winter blues creeping in too though.

The next couple of months are slow for everything, if you can/ want to hang in now you'd probably find more job opportunities opening up again from March onwards, you could go traveling now and come back?

Have you looked elsewhere in Canada for work? As awesome as Toronto is, it's a really expensive city. Perhaps you could travel round and look for jobs at the same time. Ottawa still has Ontario's high min wage, but is way cheaper than Toronto (so's Hamilton, but for good reason...)

That said, if you're not enjoying it and think you'd be happier back in the UK then go home.
Reply 426

Like the others, I'm sorry to hear you're in this situation. I do agree with Fiona that it's probably a bit to do with the time of year - not the ideal time to look for jobs or to even want to stay in Canada if you're not skiing or something like that. If it was summer I would have advised you to have a look into WWOOFing, which would give you a totally different Canadian experience at low cost (work for bed & board). Fiona's advice about leaving Toronto to travel now is a good one - give yourself a fun few weeks to think about what you really want to do.

I guess the main thing to weigh up is whether you think you'll regret staying in Canada, or regret leaving more. If that makes sense! Most often in life it's the things you regret NOT doing rather than you things you do. :smile:
I have arrived in Toronto, not really had a good start so far :frown:
Reply 428
I have arrived in Toronto, not really had a good start so far :frown:

Why, what's happened? And where are you staying?

Thank you to everyone for the advice by the way, it was really helpful. I'm still looking for jobs here but also looking into places I can visit without paying hundreds of dollars, for a bit of a break. It's expensive going anywhere in Canada though! :s-smilie:

Thank you to everyone for the advice by the way, it was really helpful. I'm still looking for jobs here but also looking into places I can visit without paying hundreds of dollars, for a bit of a break. It's expensive going anywhere in Canada though! :s-smilie:

I dunno I'm just finding it a bit tougher than I expected. Staying in the Canadiana and it seems very cliquey. Plus my room-mates aren't particularly a good bundle of fun. Considering just moving to a mixed room to see if it helps out, because I haven't really got out of the 4 male quad what I was expecting if that makes sense
Reply 430
I dunno I'm just finding it a bit tougher than I expected. Staying in the Canadiana and it seems very cliquey. Plus my room-mates aren't particularly a good bundle of fun. Considering just moving to a mixed room to see if it helps out, because I haven't really got out of the 4 male quad what I was expecting if that makes sense

I know what you mean about it appearing cliquey, but at the same time people are generally good at welcoming you into the clique - most of them were in your position not long ago. Also maybe try a bigger dorm to meet more people.

Megabus isn't too bad.
Reply 431

Come find me :smile: I'm usually the guy that passes out after too much drinking at around 5 AM on the sofas on a saturday morning. Anyway, it is true that people might be a little cliquey. But that's only because there are two crowds really - the long termers stick together because we're pretty close and have known each other for months, and then short termers who drop by for a week or less. Anyway, as time goes on you'll find you just get closer to a group and you're sorted.

My update... I've been here since October now, I've been through 5 jobs, I currently have 2. I've never had so much money coming in as I came straight from studenthood. I'm living like a king, I eat out often, meeting great people and having the time of my life. I'd advise to stay in a hostel for as long as possible. I've done over 3 months now and currently have a room to myself for the first time and I find it lonely!

Fiona, boycotting the Canadiana now?
Reply 432
Anyone fancy a meet up now we're all here? It's probably a little far for Gemini, but still...all welcome

Original post by BillyM
Come find me :smile: I'm usually the guy that passes out after too much drinking at around 5 AM on the sofas on a saturday morning. Anyway, it is true that people might be a little cliquey. But that's only because there are two crowds really - the long termers stick together because we're pretty close and have known each other for months, and then short termers who drop by for a week or less. Anyway, as time goes on you'll find you just get closer to a group and you're sorted.

My update... I've been here since October now, I've been through 5 jobs, I currently have 2. I've never had so much money coming in as I came straight from studenthood. I'm living like a king, I eat out often, meeting great people and having the time of my life. I'd advise to stay in a hostel for as long as possible. I've done over 3 months now and currently have a room to myself for the first time and I find it lonely!

5 jobs! Wish I was as good as you at getting jobs. What you doing now? I saw the Canadiana is hiring a night person, so I guess you've moved on from that. Good to hear you're having a good time, I find that having more money means finding more ways to spend it!

I haven't been at the Canadiana for ages. I miss it :frown: It's weird, when I was first planning to come to Canada I wasn't keen on the hostel idea and made alternative plans, but it was actually fantastic. I'm very tempted to quit my job here and go back to the Canadiana and wonderland for the summer. It'd mean a 33% pay cut and 50% hike in expenses, but you can't put a price on happiness, right. Does that sound stupid? My parents and some friends back home think it does :frown:

You got any plans to move out? Having a room to yourself there must be awesome, you get the best of both worlds really with room for your stuff, but all the banter just downstairs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 433
Original post by fiona344
Anyone fancy a meet up now we're all here? It's probably a little far for Gemini, but still...all welcome

5 jobs! Wish I was as good as you at getting jobs. What you doing now? I saw the Canadiana is hiring a night person, so I guess you've moved on from that. Good to hear you're having a good time, I find that having more money means finding more ways to spend it!

I haven't been at the Canadiana for ages. I miss it :frown: It's weird, when I was first planning to come to Canada I wasn't keen on the hostel idea and made alternative plans, but it was actually fantastic. I'm very tempted to quit my job here and go back to the Canadiana and wonderland for the summer. It'd mean a 33% pay cut and 50% hike in expenses, but you can't put a price on happiness, right. Does that sound stupid? My parents and some friends back home think it does :frown:

You got any plans to move out? Having a room to yourself there must be awesome, you get the best of both worlds really with room for your stuff, but all the banter just downstairs.

Still working here... I don't plan to leave, no. I'm liking the thought of being able to leave whenever I want. I think I'm going to start hunting a higher paying job now, so I can work less!
Original post by BillyM

Haha I didn't realise you were staying in the Canadiana! I'll drop you a message now

And yes, lets get a tsr meet up going!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys, just booked onto the programme and should be leaving marh 14.

Would anyone whose lived over there reccomend vancouver, and is it easy to travel around canada. Oh and is it possible to visit the U.S?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 436

Hehe, thanks for the invite but yes, probably a little far....I do however forget sometimes that I am as far from Toronto as the UK to Afghanistan or somewhere like that. Such a HUGE country!!

I must be turning Canadian....forgetting that not everyone has a car :wink: Hope things are going better for you now? What are you up to?

I moved into my lovely new place today!!! We're renting the upstairs of a house (self contained) on the other side of town on three acres of land, complete with two horses and a dog!

Recently I've had a lot of people telling me that I sound Australian....by a lot, I mean 20 odd customers a day at work. Some people are pretty persistent that I must be from that end of the world. Funny thing, especially considering that when I lived in New Zealand I kept being called Canadian....anyone else had similar experiences??
Reply 437

Original post by BillyM

I'm going up to Toronto on Thursday, anyone free on Thursday around 9:30 for drinks or whatever?

Original post by Julian_valensi
Hi guys, just booked onto the programme and should be leaving marh 14.

Would anyone whose lived over there reccomend vancouver, and is it easy to travel around canada. Oh and is it possible to visit the U.S?

It rains loads in Vancouver! Lots of people do seem to love it though though jobs can be more difficult to find there than in other parts of Canada. As to whether it's easy to travel around, within and in the area surrounding the major cities then yes, it's easy. The country as a whole, not so much. Internal flights cost an absolute fortune, and distances are vast making bus/ train journeys very long indeed. I've met quite a few people in Toronto who'd traveled overland from Vancouver, so people do do it..

It is possible, and very easy, to visit the US! You still need a valid ESTA form, but I've found that immigration is much more relaxed when you cross over from Canada (I guess the work permit shows you have a reason to go back). I think you can go back and forth as much as you want.
Reply 438
Original post by gemini89
Hehe, thanks for the invite but yes, probably a little far....I do however forget sometimes that I am as far from Toronto as the UK to Afghanistan or somewhere like that. Such a HUGE country!!

I must be turning Canadian....forgetting that not everyone has a car :wink: Hope things are going better for you now? What are you up to?

I moved into my lovely new place today!!! We're renting the upstairs of a house (self contained) on the other side of town on three acres of land, complete with two horses and a dog!

Recently I've had a lot of people telling me that I sound Australian....by a lot, I mean 20 odd customers a day at work. Some people are pretty persistent that I must be from that end of the world. Funny thing, especially considering that when I lived in New Zealand I kept being called Canadian....anyone else had similar experiences??

Is it really the same distance as the UK to Afghanistan? Afghanistan is like way on the other side of the world... you learn something new everyday!

I've been mistaken for being Australian, people are always so confident when asking at too, even though it's the complete opposite side of the world! Makes me think I must be losing my accent, I was always being (and still am) mistaken for being Irish at first, and occasionally Scotish! Could be worse, at least I'm not mistaken for being English :P I think they just know your a native English speaker but not local so take a guess! To be fair I struggeled to differentiate Australian/ New Zealand/ Australian/ New Zealand and South African accents until a few years ago.

Where you're living sounds so idilyic! I@m rather jealous. I'm really craving a visit out west to see the mountains.
Reply 439
Is it really the same distance as the UK to Afghanistan? Afghanistan is like way on the other side of the world... you learn something new everyday!

I've been mistaken for being Australian, people are always so confident when asking at too, even though it's the complete opposite side of the world! Makes me think I must be losing my accent, I was always being (and still am) mistaken for being Irish at first, and occasionally Scotish! Could be worse, at least I'm not mistaken for being English :P I think they just know your a native English speaker but not local so take a guess! To be fair I struggeled to differentiate Australian/ New Zealand/ Australian/ New Zealand and South African accents until a few years ago.

Where you're living sounds so idilyic! I@m rather jealous. I'm really craving a visit out west to see the mountains.

Across Canada (Victoria, BC, to St. John's in Newfoundland) is about 7200km....from here (north of Victoria) to Toronto is around 4600km. London to Kabul is around 3500km.....so I was off by 1000km or so, but you get the idea :wink: I drove from the UK to Turkey and back during the summer and that was just over 5,000km each way - I reached Istanbul thinking that Canada must be flipping huge as I wouldn't have even crossed the country once by then. I want to go all the way to Newfoundland from here, after heading north to see a bit of Yukon/the North Territories, so will probably end up travelling a crazy 10,000 or so.

YES, totally at the confident thing! I'm always getting 'so which part of Australia are you from?' (rather than 'where are you from, are you from Australia, etc) and they look so sad when I break it to them that I'm English, especially if they've lived over there a few years as well! I told this to an Australian colleague and she found it hilarious and said I sound like the most British person she's ever met.

If you make it over this way then definitely look me up! I'm here until the summer for sure, thinking about applying for my 2nd year visa so I can work the next ski season too. I'm fairly lucky, the office I work in actually re-opens for the season in September (as opposed to December when the mountain actually opens!) so I could finish this season this Spring, travel around the island and a bit of the mainland, go fruit-picking (and possibly go to Central America for a 'holiday'), get my 2nd visa and then work from September-April again.....and then finally cross the country next summer. What are you up to?

Quick Reply

Latest