120/120. A* overalllllllllll
Reply 1661
Like a lot of people, I managed to get an A somehow. Same for unit 3. :smile:
argh just got told i got 103/120 on SCLY and i needed 105 for an A*!! :frown:
ah well didnt do too bad considering i only did 1 page for the 33 marker
Original post by Diffusion
argh just got told i got 103/120 on SCLY and i needed 105 for an A*!! :frown:
ah well didnt do too bad considering i only did 1 page for the 33 marker

that is the most annoying thing ever! anyway well done.
117/120, and I had a repeat of the other A2 and got 80/80, thankyou to the people in this thread that were staying up the night before handing out advice, doubt I'd have an A* without you
Reply 1665
I feel like crap now saying I got a C in it >.>
I got an A*!!! So happy :smile:
Original post by Rachel_Leah
A :smile: 106/120! If I had a few more marks I would have got an A* as I got 350/400 and an A* would be 360 ums. Goddamit! x

Are you sure? I got 350 UMS and got an A*!
Original post by allaboutdrama
Are you sure? I got 350 UMS and got an A*!

Rachel_Leah

Depends on your UMS in the second year, not the first.

For example, on a course with four exams all out of 100 UMS, the following could happen:

Student A

U1 - 100
U2 - 100
U3 - 89
U4 - 89

Total: 378, 89% at A2

Student B

U1 - 70
U2 - 70
U3 - 100
U4 - 100

Total: 340, 100% at A2

Both students have enough UMS (320+) to achieve an A grade, however, since an A* is nothing more than an A overall with 90%+ in the second year, cases do occur where students have a lower UMS than another but higher percentages in the second year meaning they get an A* with a lower UMS.

Tbh, an A* should just be 90% of the UMS, which would be 360/400 but I'm sure the exam boards have thought it all through ha.
Got A's in all modules, needed a D to maintain an A overall... i got an e -_- my luck
A* :smile: 120/120 unit 4 / 77/80 unit 3
Is anyone from Manchester, d:biggrin:oing Sociology at, Aberdeen Sept 11?
I got an A 324/400 for Sociology A level

58/80 B Families and Households
108/120 A Education and research methods
67/80 A Beliefs in Society
91/120 B Crime and deviance and theory and methods

overall very pleased, especially considering i did the crime and deviance exam this summer on my 18th birthday!
what studies are there for crime and age? :s-smilie:
Reply 1674
What topics are most likely to come up for each question.
33mark?
15mark?

Original post by Samantha_C
Original post by Samantha_C

Only one i can think of specifically for age could be Cohen and deviancy amplification when he studied the youth gangs mods and rockers. Official crime stats can also be used as evidence to suggest a link between age and crime- this would also be good to use as you can criticise statistics e.g. labeling and marxist theories.
It's probably better to think of what theorists would say about age and crime e.g. functionalists may argue young w/c males are more likely to experience status frustration (Miller) or Merton and w/c values predispose them to crime. Left wing theorists similarly to marxists would argue that again young w/c boys in particular are subject to negative labelling and the right wing would argue similarly to functionalism etc.
It's probably better to link age to other factors such as ethnicity and gender as this would score better in an essay showing that crime is in fact multi factoral. For example Messerschmidt argues young males commit crime to prove their masculinity, or Hall and Gilroy's research into ethnicity, labelling and the link to crime.
Hope this helps, I'm sure your teacher might be able to help you a bit more though
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hogwartz
What topics are most likely to come up for each question.
33mark?
15mark?

Havent a clue really, unfortunately its difficult to question spot but for the last two years they've used a methods question for the 33 markers e.g. last year was positivist method and last june's was value freedom- which both pretty much overlap with each other (positivism, phenomenology debate). So maybe this year it could be a theory question e.g. functionalism, marxism or again it could be a method question- you never know. Sorry I can't be of much help- probably better to revise as much as you can and hope a question you're familiar with crops up

As for the 15 markers (is this the method linked to a specific issue??) again make sure you know the positives and negatives of each method e.g. interviews or questionnaires and make sure you constantly APPLY this to the issue otherwise you wont score very highly. For example a problem using observation to study institutional racism in the police- saying the hawthorne effect would not be enough, it would score some marks but to get higher marks saying police have an image to protect and uphold therefore to be racist goes against this image. They may therefore change their behaviour in order to suit this professional image in front of the observer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1677
Original post by laurajones24
Havent a clue really, unfortunately its difficult to question spot but for the last two years they've used a methods question for the 33 markers e.g. last year was positivist method and last june's was value freedom- which both pretty much overlap with each other (positivism, phenomenology debate). So maybe this year it could be a theory question e.g. functionalism, marxism or again it could be a method question- you never know. Sorry I can't be of much help- probably better to revise as much as you can and hope a question you're familiar with crops up

As for the 15 markers (is this the method linked to a specific issue??) again make sure you know the positives and negatives of each method e.g. interviews or questionnaires and make sure you constantly APPLY this to the issue otherwise you wont score very highly. For example a problem using observation to study institutional racism in the police- saying the hawthorne effect would not be enough, it would score some marks but to get higher marks saying police have an image to protect and uphold therefore to be racist goes against this image. They may therefore change their behaviour in order to suit this professional image in front of the observer.

Thankyou, but how do you know this, are you also doing unit 4? In jan?
Original post by Hogwartz
Thankyou, but how do you know this, are you also doing unit 4? In jan?

No I did a level sociology last year. Did last june's unit 4
Reply 1679
Original post by laurajones24
No I did a level sociology last year. Did last june's unit 4

my schools doing unit 4 now and its useless, because no1 has any resources for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending