The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Pre-release

So the Unit 4 pre release material came out today, for the Jan 2012 exam. I take it that this is the first thread on the exam, and I just wanted to discuss resources/essay plans/ideas with anyone who is doing the paper on Cultural Diversity.
Incase you didn't get the steer today, this is what is stated:

Explore how far cultures need to change and adapt when threatened by a range of environmental, socio-economic and political pressures.
Research a range of human cultures showing different rates of change, degrees of cultural evolution and survival.

This has scared me slightly, as all of the past exams have been based on globalisation, and there is no mention of the concept here!
I'm self teaching myself the unit, so I'd love to discuss ideas with anyone who is doing the exam.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
HI, I'm doing techtonic hazards but I was wondering where you got the steer from as I can't see it on the edexcel website. I know we don't have the same syllabus but if you need any structure advice or questions on the exam don't hesitate.
Reply 2
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/geography/Pages/default.aspx that is the website link..and it is the second OFF file, unit 4. I am doing option 1: tectonic hazards too. I am worried, what do you think it means by over time (historical time, the duration of the hazard event)? What case studies are you thinking about doing? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I know what you mean that is kind of weird, the whole over time thing but apart from that the pre-release seems to be pretty decent. Just it all seems very real and looming now. I read someone on another thread said this about case studies 'thinking bout using Japan, Asia 2004, Haiti, North-ridge, Hawaii and maybe Yellow Stone, purely because of 'over time' part'. Not too sure what to think about it at the moment as will only have a lesson on Wednesday. If you find anything on the over time part I would really appreciate it.
I'm doing Cold Environments..

OPTION 2: Cold Environments Landscapes and Change
Explore the processes which shaped the landscape during the Pleistocene within a region such as the British Isles.
Research the wide variety of landscapes and landforms created at differing scales by glacial and periglacial processes within a chosen region.

Anyone got any ideas??
Reply 5
Original post by lucamo100
So the Unit 4 pre release material came out today, for the Jan 2012 exam. I take it that this is the first thread on the exam, and I just wanted to discuss resources/essay plans/ideas with anyone who is doing the paper on Cultural Diversity.
Incase you didn't get the steer today, this is what is stated:

Explore how far cultures need to change and adapt when threatened by a range of environmental, socio-economic and political pressures.
Research a range of human cultures showing different rates of change, degrees of cultural evolution and survival.

This has scared me slightly, as all of the past exams have been based on globalisation, and there is no mention of the concept here!
I'm self teaching myself the unit, so I'd love to discuss ideas with anyone who is doing the exam.

Thanks!

Argh! This is my worst nightmare, I really wanted a question on globalisation too.
Reply 6
Original post by Talka8

Original post by Talka8
I know what you mean that is kind of weird, the whole over time thing but apart from that the pre-release seems to be pretty decent. Just it all seems very real and looming now. I read someone on another thread said this about case studies 'thinking bout using Japan, Asia 2004, Haiti, North-ridge, Hawaii and maybe Yellow Stone, purely because of 'over time' part'. Not too sure what to think about it at the moment as will only have a lesson on Wednesday. If you find anything on the over time part I would really appreciate it.

Agreed! It is just the over time bit that has thrown me. My teachers were talking about using Krakatoa (VEI 6 - eruption in 1883) although I am unsure about this because there is little economic data (which I know suggests something) but it would be difficult to make comparisons of the changes over time. Also most of the impacts were environmental (global cooling ect...). Apparently my teachers have emailed the exam board to see if they can get it narrowed down a little so I will let you know the response we get :smile: I don't have a lesson til Thursday.
Reply 7
Original post by buttermints
Argh! This is my worst nightmare, I really wanted a question on globalisation too.

Hey don't know if you got my message. What case studies are you thinking of using? I'm seriously freaking out over this!
do any of you have an idea of what the question could actually be using the pre released materials ? i could do with some help
Hey don't know if you got my message. What case studies are you thinking of using? I'm seriously freaking out over this!

im unsure too :frown:
Reply 10

Hello. I'm using:

Tibet
EU-greece
Global warming eco/anthrocentric
North Korea
Amazon
Egypt
North Norfolk/Tower Hamlets
Abu Dhabi
Ireland
Iceland

:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by oli2wd
Agreed! It is just the over time bit that has thrown me. My teachers were talking about using Krakatoa (VEI 6 - eruption in 1883) although I am unsure about this because there is little economic data (which I know suggests something) but it would be difficult to make comparisons of the changes over time. Also most of the impacts were environmental (global cooling ect...). Apparently my teachers have emailed the exam board to see if they can get it narrowed down a little so I will let you know the response we get :smile: I don't have a lesson til Thursday.

did you get a reply form the exam board? i dont know what case studies to use to over time bit suggests to use old and new but i dont know how old is too old!
Reply 12
Original post by conniewd

did you get a reply form the exam board? i dont know what case studies to use to over time bit suggests to use old and new but i dont know how old is too old!

Teachers never said..the case studies we are focussing on atm are Sendai EQ/Tsunami, Haiti 2010, Nyriangongo 2002, IOT 2004 and Kilaeau...we have briefly looked at Great Kanto and Krakatoa for the over time bit and I think we are going to use the Parks Model with the impacts labelled. How about you? I will be on here more next week, have a week or so of solid geography revision next week so will have found out more by then :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by oli2wd
Teachers never said..the case studies we are focussing on atm are Sendai EQ/Tsunami, Haiti 2010, Nyriangongo 2002, IOT 2004 and Kilaeau...we have briefly looked at Great Kanto and Krakatoa for the over time bit and I think we are going to use the Parks Model with the impacts labelled. How about you? I will be on here more next week, have a week or so of solid geography revision next week so will have found out more by then :smile:

Our teacher has kind of left us to do our own thing which isn't ideal but I was thinking:

Earthquakes - Kanto, Kobe, Haiti
Volcanoes - Mt St Helens, Nevado Del Ruiz, Eyjafjallajokull (maybe krakatoa not sure!)
Tsunamis - Japan 2011, and Indian ocean 2004,
For tsunamis i was also thinking about the Okushiri one as that was 18 years ago so got the over time aspect

but yeah thats quite alot of case studies ive got so not sure which ones to get rid of!
Ive not heard of the Nyriangongo 2002 eruption before but will definitely look into that one, thanks!
Reply 14
Yeah we were considering Krakatoa although I think it is too long ago, there is hardly and factual stuff, more just witness accounts and most of the impacts are environmental which are irrelevant to us (just my opinion though - may just briefly mention it if it fits in). Regarding Nyiragongo, I hate it! It isn't a very good one if I am honest - the only thing is the fact it is in the DRC so a very poor area so they are vulnerable and have a limited capacity to cope. Oooh I may look into Okushiri (never heard of that one). Thanks :smile:
Our teacher has kind of left us to do our own thing which isn't ideal but I was thinking:

Earthquakes - Kanto, Kobe, Haiti
Volcanoes - Mt St Helens, Nevado Del Ruiz, Eyjafjallajokull (maybe krakatoa not sure!)
Tsunamis - Japan 2011, and Indian ocean 2004,
For tsunamis i was also thinking about the Okushiri one as that was 18 years ago so got the over time aspect

but yeah thats quite alot of case studies ive got so not sure which ones to get rid of!
Ive not heard of the Nyriangongo 2002 eruption before but will definitely look into that one, thanks!

Oh teacher has left us to do it as well, so not entirely sure if I am on the right track :tongue:

Case Studies I'm using:
Japan 2011, Boxing Day Tsunami, Haiti (for the social aspect), Kobe, Turkey (Izmit 1999 and Van 2011 for over time), Montserrat, California and I think that is it.

I think I need some more information about volcanoes though, I only have one :s-smilie:
Anyone doing Life on the margins? or am i alone on this
Reply 17
Guys i'm worried about this 'over time' issue for the tectonic activity and hazards option.

The specification states:

What students need to learn: "Trends in frequency and impact over time."

Suggested teaching and learning: "Developing an awareness of the varying patterns of impact over
time, both long and short term (eg Park Model).

It doesn't mention time in relation to old and recent hazards. However, do you think there's still a possibility that the question is in relation to old and recent hazards, DESPITE the fact that path of learning is not mentioned in the specification. If so, are you revising both interpretations of time?
Reply 18
Original post by Braptings

Original post by Braptings
Guys i'm worried about this 'over time' issue for the tectonic activity and hazards option.

The specification states:

What students need to learn: "Trends in frequency and impact over time."

Suggested teaching and learning: "Developing an awareness of the varying patterns of impact over
time, both long and short term (eg Park Model).

It doesn't mention time in relation to old and recent hazards. However, do you think there's still a possibility that the question is in relation to old and recent hazards, DESPITE the fact that path of learning is not mentioned in the specification. If so, are you revising both interpretations of time?

For long term I would compare recent case studies (2011 Sendai EQ) to historical case studies (1923 Great Kanto EQ) and discuss how things have changed over time by looking at whether the impacts (death toll, economic costs) are higher or lower - and for each one come up with a reason why (higher economic costs = greater development - higher death toll = higher population densities...) and also comment on the overall trend of earthquakes and volcanoes (whether or no they are increasing) - how do you interpret long term?

Short (which is where I am struggling - so feel free to help me out here lol!) - I would structure this in terms of the Parks model - so how the impacts vary over the time that the disaster happens - when it hit --> to the reconstruction efforts - but I don't seem to be able to get my head around this for some reason :/

Hope this helps :smile:
Exam next week for cultural diversity! Which case studies are you all doing? I need ones for environmental threats!! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending