The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
For 30 grand + expenses neither would I .

Durham is too far to be of consequence
Reply 521
my cousin graduted from oxford 3 years ago and got a j as intern at goldman sachs and is now working for goldman sachs.The guy is fuking loaded
Reply 522
Hey guys, i'm currently deciding which university to go to: Imperial College or UCL. I applied to study Physics. Which university gives me a better advantage for investment banking? (or if it makes no difference)
No, you do not have to go to the top 20 universities to be an investment banker. I have heard people from other universities get in as well. For example regarding London universities, investment banks I think have extensively recruited from London Southbank University and London Metropolitan University. This shows that someone not in a top 20 uni has equal chances. Also, it does not depend so much on the uni, but on the overall profile, which should include valuable work experience at top financial institutions, extracurricular activities etc.
Original post by music2love

No, you do not have to go to the top 20 universities to be an investment banker. I have heard people from other universities get in as well. For example regarding London universities, investment banks I think have extensively recruited from London Southbank University and London Metropolitan University. This shows that someone not in a top 20 uni has equal chances. Also, it does not depend so much on the uni, but on the overall profile, which should include valuable work experience at top financial institutions, extracurricular activities etc.

Whilst I agree you do not have to go to a top 20 university, to say someone not in a top 20 uni has equal chances is ridiculous. The amount of networking opportunities that targets get is a major advantage. And sure some banks may visit London Met but they are probably recruiting for back office positions.
Original post by Unlmtd
Top 20 is a lot already

. If you're not top 6 your chances to get an interview fall rapidly. On the upside, there still are chances, so if you are not target, make sure you have very strong ECs, are very strong at doing the Numericals and in some extreme way distinguish yourself from the other candidates applying. If you are not target, you must have something much more flashy and ungeneric ( Finance club is generic btw) to get an interview, compared to a target uni.

I bet you said 6th because you're at a 6.

This thread is silly, those at top twenties will say 'no' to be spitefu and make themselves feel good and those who aren't will say yes.

So, apart from good money, what's good about the job?
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I bet you said 6th because you're at a 6.

This thread is silly, those at top twenties will say 'no' to be spitefu and make themselves feel good and those who aren't will say yes.

So, apart from good money, what's good about the job?

No, the top 6 are considered to be the main targets (Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL/Warwick).
Original post by The_Don_123
No, the top 6 are considered to be the main targets (Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL/Warwick).

Oh.

You are absolutely correct.

A student of Southbank has equal chance as a student of Cambridge in getting an investment backing job.

Brilliant point, well done.
Original post by LutherVan

A student of Southbank has equal chance as a student of Cambridge in getting an investment backing job.

Cheers LutherVan for agreeing with me.
Reply 530

Agreed. My cousin who went to Manchester Met is now at Goldman Sachs after working at Merrill Lynch for 3 years. She earns a lot of money.

It's all about experience and drive. People on here are so convinced yet they have no knowledge on how many times people from Oxford or Cambridge are rejected for people with better skills and more experience from lower ratted schools.
Original post by itsbea

Original post by itsbea
Agreed. My cousin who went to Manchester Met is now at Goldman Sachs after working at Merrill Lynch for 3 years. She earns a lot of money.

It's all about experience and drive. People on here are so convinced yet they have no knowledge on how many times people from Oxford or Cambridge are rejected for people with better skills and more experience from lower ratted schools.

Dude, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

I agree you can make it from other unis but to say a student at an ex polytechnic has the same chance as oxbridge is pure and simple not true. If anything, just for the networking opportunites at a target.

I agree you can make it from other unis but to say a student at an ex polytechnic has the same chance as oxbridge is pure and simple not true. If anything, just for the networking opportunites at a target.

No, I was not being sarcastic.

The fact is that if you get your MBA from University of Kabul, you have an equal chance as someone that got their MBA from Harvard in getting a Hedge Fund or Private Equity job. You will make a lot of money, the university you attend does not matter, it is all about your experience and drive. My cousin that attended University of Mogadishu works with Tesco and makes a lot of money. :cool:
No, I was not being sarcastic.

The fact is that if you get your MBA from University of Kabul, you have an equal chance as someone that got their MBA from Harvard in getting a Hedge Fund or Private Equity job. You will make a lot of money, the university you attend does not matter, it is all about your experience and drive. My cousin that attended University of Mogadishu works with Tesco and makes a lot of money. :cool:

In other words, "Go hard, or Go Mogadishu!" :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 534

Really? Either way my comment still applies.

Yeah I agree that. If you go to Oxford/Cambridge automatically you have a better chance but the people on here are trying to make it seem that you have no chance if you go to a uni that's say number 48 on the league tables.

I was even shocked when I realized she went Manchester Met and not Manchester. I just assumed that she got such a good job by going to a more respected university.
Reply 535
Wait a minute.

Surely the subject you study doe not matter only if your are NOT applying to specific roles like equity research or fund management.

I can't see how anyone would not place a BSc acc + finance from your beloved LSE over BSc social policy.

That would be dumb.

I also think in this case a BSc A + F from say Bath would not be more valued than Social Poilcy from LSE, grades being equal.
Reply 536
You guys seem to treat IB as totally impossible to get into, a good personal school friend go into JPM with a 2.2 (should add it was LSE). admittedly he did start the Analyst magazine and has extra curriculars which put most to shame but still... it can be done. If you're on here mate and read this, well... well played :wink:
Anyone know if cass business school is respected.

Particulary a degree in Banking & International Finance.

Many thanks
Original post by stackemup
Anyone know if cass business school is respected.

Particulary a degree in Banking & International Finance.

Many thanks

Yes I believe so. I will be partaking in that course in the pursuit to become an investment banker.
Cass Business School has many good connections with major firms (i.e. Goldman Sachs, Bank of England and JP Morgan).
Many of their students currently conducting their placement year are doing so in those companies in a wide range of disciplines including financial analysts, global markets, operations, and research.

This emphasises your opportunity you will be presented with.

Best of luck with your decision.
SOMEONE DEFINE ME top 20 universitys in UK??

Latest