The Student Room Group

Bits of my teeth falling out?! :S

It's my front bottom teeth at the back, a bit just fell out yesterday, I looked at it and half was white, half black (the piece of tooth that is, disgusting I know). Now when I run my tongue along it it feels like there's a massive hole but it doesn't look big.

This has happened before the hole hasn't really felt this big...

It doesn't hurt, it just feels uncomfortable and it's bleeding a little bit.

My Dad just says it's plaque and it's normal and will be fine but to go to the dentist to check anyway (which I will) but I can't find anything about it being normal online, it says it's rotting!

I have a terrible fear of the dentist, which I realise I'm gonna have to suck up. I also lived out of the country for the majority of my teens (I'm now 21) and admittedly haven't been to the dentist since I was 10.

My teeth have been absolutely fine apart from this though, they're ever so very slightly crooked and discoloured but just look normal. I brush them 2-3 times a day!

Is this normal? I'm scared :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which teeth do you mean exactly? Do you have wisdom teeth? My mum actually lost half of one of her wisdom teeth and never even knew. She has a really small mouth and she couldn't reach them with the toothbrush very well even though she has great dental hygiene otherwise. Wisdom teeth are tricky little buggers. See your dentist :smile:
Reply 2
If it was half white, half black it's tooth decay not plaque.
Reply 3
This sounds like decay and you need to get to your dentist as soon as. Look after your teeth, you only get one set!
Reply 4
Reply 5
It does sound like plaque if you lost a bit of tooth you would be able to tell I guess. What do you mean by a hole exactly? Have you ever had any fillings on your teeth?

It's time to get over your fears and get a check up 11 years is just crazy you're meant to go way more often. It's best to go often and get a small fix than rarely and have something major done (tooth removal, root canal)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
It's my front bottom teeth at the back, a bit just fell out yesterday, I looked at it and half was white, half black (the piece of tooth that is, disgusting I know). Now when I run my tongue along it it feels like there's a massive hole but it doesn't look big.

My Dad just says it's plaque and it's normal and will be fine but to go to the dentist to check anyway (which I will) but I can't find anything about it being normal online, it says it's rotting!

I have a terrible fear of the dentist, which I realise I'm gonna have to suck up. I also lived out of the country for the majority of my teens (I'm now 21) and admittedly haven't been to the dentist since I was 10.

My teeth have been absolutely fine apart from this though, they're ever so very slightly crooked and discoloured but just look normal. I brush them 2-3 times a day!

That's not plaque (plaque doesn't fall off your teeth anyways) you've got tooth decay. Yeah if it's in its' advanced stages it fairly normal, just go to the dentist and they'll fill it or stick a crown on it.
Plaque doesn't fall off it needs to be brushed off, it's probably tooth decay.
Gads, sounds like you had so much hard plaque on your teeth that it actually fell off.

Go get a scale and polish and start flossing, please.
Reply 9
Had some bits of filling drop out, they're black.

I thought tooth decay smelled *really* badly. :unsure:
omg its like my worst nightmare coming true!

I've actually had nightmares about this happening (apparently its really common) awww big hug OP :hugs: hope it sorts itself out soon!
Reply 11
... But bleeding isn't good, go to a dentist.
Your gums are probably weakening which is maybe down to the bleeding? It is probably down to not going to the dentist for a long period of time, that's why they have these regular check ups to catch these things in time :frown:

Good Luck.
Reply 13
Original post by peach.plum.pear
omg its like my worst nightmare coming true!

I've actually had nightmares about this happening (apparently its really common) awww big hug OP :hugs: hope it sorts itself out soon!

i have a recurring nightmare that my teeth crumble out of my mouth... at first, i wiggle one with my tongue and it's loose. then i start pushing my teeth with my tongue and they just crumble out into my hands. YACK! it's proper vivid and used to scare the **** out of me... but ive had so many i dont really freak out about them anymore.

to the OP: it sounds like decay or a bit of your filling (if you have any?) falling out... go to dentist ASAP! i know they are scary and horrible, but it's so so worth it for having healthy teeth. hope you're ok!
Reply 14
Original post by peach.plum.pear

I've actually had nightmares about this happening (apparently its really common) awww big hug OP

Me too :redface: I have to check my teeth are still there when I wake up :unsure:
Original post by popple7
i have a recurring nightmare that my teeth crumble out of my mouth... at first, i wiggle one with my tongue and it's loose. then i start pushing my teeth with my tongue and they just crumble out into my hands. YACK! it's proper vivid and used to scare the **** out of me... but ive had so many i dont really freak out about them anymore.

to the OP: it sounds like decay or a bit of your filling (if you have any?) falling out... go to dentist ASAP! i know they are scary and horrible, but it's so so worth it for having healthy teeth. hope you're ok!

:zomg: Oh god please don't! thats exactly like mine except mine don't crumble, my whole jaw just kind of falls out and I'm trying to hold it in and I'm always in the most inconvenient place possible like in Tescos or something when it happens.

OP make sure you get to a dentist asap, they'll be able to find out exactly what it is :smile:
Reply 16
My tooth has had a filling and it is a molar but the dentist said it is a weak tooth and that was 6 months ago. My tooth keeps having small chunks fall out and I'm scared that the dentist will main and be cross because my teeth aren't being cleaned right. I grind my teeth is my sleep really badly but I don't know I'm doing it and last time I went to the dentist they said I don't need a gum shield but it irritates my sister and mum. My teeth aren't the best and they are a bit cricked but I'm worried about my filling and the chunks falling out. ADVICE PLEASE!!!
Reply 17

Bit in bold explains why it's got this bad. But it's either very bad plaque or rotting teeth; probably the latter. So yeah, see the dentist ASAP
Hi I just wanted to know if you resolved this . And if so how did u do it and what happen?
Reply 19
Hi I just wanted to know if you resolved this . And if so how did u do it and what happen?

One imagines, if the user was sensible, he got a root canal and/or a crown put on the tooth. Possibly having it pulled. There really arent any other sensible options left.

Quick Reply

Latest