The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8340
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Bugger. Back to square one... Actually I'm not complaining, the data collection was like the best week of my life cos I got to scrub in on ortho stuff from dawn til dusk for six days :h: So it's a bonus for the logbook if nothing else.

I very nearly negged you for this..

Someone revise finals for me. I can't be bothered. :frown:
From what I understand, posters you have to be first name authors, audits and research you just have to be an author. Is this right?
Original post by Saffie

LOL :biggrin:

Saffie! Long time. How you doing? Revision blows.
Original post by Saffie

It was a long time ago and I haven't been near an operating theatre in over six months :angel:

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
From what I understand, posters you have to be first name authors, audits and research you just have to be an author. Is this right?

What are you putting on your poster if its not audit or research? :confused:
Original post by Kinkerz
So you don't get the tutor notes either? It's irritating. Almost as if they're scared of us actually knowing something! Shock horror.

Yeah, I might make a case for it to the SSLC. I don't see why we can't be given them at the end of the module.

No doubt they don't want us passing them on to lower years. Yes, I can see their concerns but there has to be a line where they must put our education above their laziness and unwillingness to write up new scenarios.

If a student doesn't want to do the PBLs properly and just read the notes, so be it. If they want to do them properly and reap the benefits then so be it.

I don't see how they could argue that the risk of a student in the lower years getting the tutor notes is equal to the risk of a current year student missing chunks in their understanding because of a poor facilitator and the unwillingness to give out tutor notes.

By all means, don't let us have them during the module. However, it is purely logical that we are given them when the module concludes in order to cement our understanding and ensure everything is covered.
Original post by Saffie

The fact i can now count the time to finals in weeks instead of months is something that should scare me if i wasnt in complete denial.
Reply 8346
Becca-Sarah
It was a long time ago and I haven't been near an operating theatre in over six months :angel:
Should hope so!! Crazy girl..

Original post by digitalis
LOL :biggrin:

Saffie! Long time. How you doing? Revision blows.

Bored of final year.. bored of ward rounds, clinics, patients, revision... so yeah! You? :smile:
Original post by fairy spangles
The fact i can now count the time to finals in weeks instead of months is something that should scare me if i wasnt in complete denial.

Makes me joyful that the end of med school is in sight! Surreal....

Original post by Saffie
Should hope so!! Crazy girl..

Bored of final year.. bored of ward rounds, clinics, patients, revision... so yeah! You? :smile:

Ditto! So many ward rounds last week, so many patients...Well it was ditto up until today...anaesthetics week, tubed my first patient! :biggrin:
Reply 8348
Original post by digitalis

Ditto! So many ward rounds last week, so many patients...Well it was ditto up until today...anaesthetics week, tubed my first patient! :biggrin:
I liked anaesthetics, it's good when patients are asleep and don't talk :wink:

Rather glad it's a matter of weeks left cause I cba with being a med student much longer. Just give me a proper job and pay me already!
Original post by Saffie
I liked anaesthetics, it's good when patients are asleep and don't talk :wink:

Rather glad it's a matter of weeks left cause I cba with being a med student much longer. Just give me a proper job and pay me already!

Word.
Original post by Kinkerz
The group on facebook - 'You know you're a medical student when you...' - just posted it.

I used to think it was a good way to learn and promoted a higher level of self-directed learning, which is important. Now I think it's so inconsistently done that the positives achieved by a good example of PBL are infrequent at best.

Mate, I kinda see what you mean. PBL in its purest form should work. I just think we have really badly written and uninteresting cases, coupled with an overload of information in too short a time frame, which just renders the entire process almost pointless.

Poorly written scenarios is the number one problem IMO - I had to facilitate a year 1 PBL session last week as part of this BSc and, yes its actually a very difficult job correctly facilitating a group, but half way through the session, the students literally went "Oh its IBS...lets just set objectives" (or words to that effect). There is no problem solving in such a case. There is no motivation to want to actually read up on the relevant issues. It just makes it seem like you're on a DIY course. It honestly takes the joy out of it - you literally go in and set bog standard objectives (pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, management and maybe the psychosocial aspects if you're feeling keen).

In second year, most of the PBLs have an accompanying lecture to help with the understanding etc, but I honestly think they really need to sit down and set much more stimulating problem scenarios if they really want to promote self directed learning and better problem solving skills etc that PBL in its purity claims to promote. I mean, PBL scenarios don't always have to be in the written form - there could be videos, audio tapes, pictures, etc. I just reckon its laziness on the most part.

If there's one thing I've learnt from this BSc, it is that PBL theoretically should work. That said, the half hearted attempts at making it work in most places mean, sadly, they don't. I still think I get more out of them than lectures, but they could be so much more effective if people just took the time to create proper scenarios and not bombard us with more than one PBL a week. I'm not too worried about giving students the tutor notes and stuff - all the med school needs to do is stop setting exam questions that literally match the PBL tutor notes word for word and students will actually go about pbl the correct way and won't care about not seeing these rather condensed set of notes.
Original post by Medicine Man
Mate, I kinda see what you mean. PBL in its purest form should work. I just think we have really badly written and uninteresting cases, coupled with an overload of information in too short a time frame, which just renders the entire process almost pointless.

Poorly written scenarios is the number one problem IMO - I had to facilitate a year 1 PBL session last week as part of this BSc and, yes its actually a very difficult job correctly facilitating a group, but half way through the session, the students literally went "Oh its IBS...lets just set objectives" (or words to that effect). There is no problem solving in such a case. There is no motivation to want to actually read up on the relevant issues. It just makes it seem like you're on a DIY course. It honestly takes the joy out of it - you literally go in and set bog standard objectives (pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, management and maybe the psychosocial aspects if you're feeling keen).

In second year, most of the PBLs have an accompanying lecture to help with the understanding etc, but I honestly think they really need to sit down and set much more stimulating problem scenarios if they really want to promote self directed learning and better problem solving skills etc that PBL in its purity claims to promote. I mean, PBL scenarios don't always have to be in the written form - there could be videos, audio tapes, pictures, etc. I just reckon its laziness on the most part.

If there's one thing I've learnt from this BSc, it is that PBL theoretically should work. That said, the half hearted attempts at making it work in most places mean, sadly, they don't. I still think I get more out of them than lectures, but they could be so much more effective if people just took the time to create proper scenarios and not bombard us with more than one PBL a week. I'm not too worried about giving students the tutor notes and stuff - all the med school needs to do is stop setting exam questions that literally match the PBL tutor notes word for word and students will actually go about pbl the correct way and won't care about not seeing these rather condensed set of notes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Math
Original post by RollerBall

Spoiler

I think the argument against releasing the notes here tends to be: the students won't engage with the sessions properly if they know that they'll just be given what they need to know at the end. But I think that says a lot more about the sessions than the students. This year there will be people going into the exam not just not knowing material, but never realising it was expected of them simply because of shoddy CBL sessions where tutors don't ensure that their students are aware of what should've been covered.

Original post by Medicine Man

That's so true. Happened so often last year. "Oh, it's obviously diabetes..." cue people feeling bored and as though their time is wasted for the next hour.

With the technology at our disposal in 2012, I'd say there should be other media brought in.

I partly think the problem is time. In PBL everything is so much slower. It takes more time to cover material. A PBL course needs to have another couple of years tagged on!
Original post by Kinkerz
I think the argument against releasing the notes here tends to be: the students won't engage with the sessions properly if they know that they'll just be given what they need to know at the end. But I think that says a lot more about the sessions than the students. This year there will be people going into the exam not just not knowing material, but never realising it was expected of them simply because of shoddy CBL sessions where tutors don't ensure that their students are aware of what should've been covered.

That's so true. Happened so often last year. "Oh, it's obviously diabetes..." cue people feeling bored and as though their time is wasted for the next hour.

With the technology at our disposal in 2012, I'd say there should be other media brought in.

I partly think the problem is time. In PBL everything is so much slower. It takes more time to cover material. A PBL course needs to have another couple of years tagged on!

Well that's what happens when students teach students, facililtator or not. If you pack them into a lecture theatre, sure, some will fall asleep, but theres no variation between PBL groups - as long as you use good lecturers, everyone gets the same.
Original post by Wangers
Well that's what happens when students teach students, facililtator or not. If you pack them into a lecture theatre, sure, some will fall asleep, but theres no variation between PBL groups - as long as you use good lecturers, everyone gets the same.

It's not the students teaching students that slows things down (that doesn't even happen really, or shouldn't). It's the searching for information, selecting the right books, synthesising the information yourself, etc. If you're given the information -- whether in a powerpoint lecture slide, tutor notes, seminar handout, whatever -- it essentially removes the arduous, time consuming element that is rife in PBL and allows much more information to be covered in a smaller space of time.

And as for using good lecturers, that's just as variable as using good PBL facilitators, it just means that the entire year suffers rather than a section of said year.
Original post by Kinkerz
It's not the students teaching students that slows things down (that doesn't even happen really, or shouldn't). It's the searching for information, selecting the right books, synthesising the information yourself, etc. If you're given the information -- whether in a powerpoint lecture slide, tutor notes, seminar handout, whatever -- it essentially removes the arduous, time consuming element that is rife in PBL and allows much more information to be covered in a smaller space of time.

And as for using good lecturers, that's just as variable as using good PBL facilitators, it just means that the entire year suffers rather than a section of said year.

Yeah, this.
Reply 8356
Original post by crazylemon
PBL.

I loathed how it was done.
That is why I almost failed the module of PBL :h:

It works when you have a great facilitator (we had in yr 2 and it made PBL bearable for me) but other than that bloody useless I find. Tutorials are better.

Who?
Original post by Kinkerz

Do you not think it is better to have a good lecturer cover a decent chunk of material than to have every srudent wasting time? If I go through our lectures properly, it makes about an hour per lecture preclin - I dread to think how much time would be spent if I also had to research the lecture

and so the ideal system is where you have lectures go through the material and then tutorials to iron out any problems and as a way for further discussion.

Oh wait, that system is in place - shame most universities don't have the resources to cover it...
Reply 8358
Anyone have access to psych/neuropharm journals and willing to do me favours in return for love *or karma?
Original post by Wangers
Do you not think it is better to have a good lecturer cover a decent chunk of material than to have every srudent wasting time? If I go through our lectures properly, it makes about an hour per lecture preclin - I dread to think how much time would be spent if I also had to research the lecture

An enthusiastic lecturer who composes their lectures well and communicates concepts effectively is a great asset. I just don't think most are like that. I've never been to another university -- hopefully get a different perspective next year -- so I can't say if others are like this. I suspect they aren't on the whole.

and so the ideal system is where you have lectures go through the material and then tutorials to iron out any problems and as a way for further discussion.

Providing the lectures are good.

Oh wait, that system is in place - shame most universities don't have the resources to cover it...
Read: most medical schools don't have space in their timetables to cover it. My girlfriend studies history and politics and virtually all their course is delivered exactly like that.

Latest

Trending

Trending