The Student Room Group

Help! How do I improve my language skills?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Fantastic thread, encouraging and from my experience of language I agree with everything the OP said.

It's also good to see advice that isn't just 'learn vocabulary' or 'go to the country' which some people think is the be all and end all of language learning.
Can anyone help me with the pluperfect tense in German? I'm doing that in class at the moment and am having trouble. hatte und war? it confuses me. do the endings of hatte und war change according to the pronoun like in the present tense,and if so what? How do you form the past participle again..? Its been a loong summer and I've forgotten some of this...

I know its like 'er hatte Abitur gemacht' I think at least..
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone?
Reply 163
Original post by OddThings
Anyone?

You should rather post that in the German Learners Society and/or the Lost in Translation? threads.
I personally love this thread idea and it seems to have...died out a bit. So,how is everyone finding their language learning 'journeys' so far? I'm in my third year of learning German,and have so far loved all of it.But now I'm moving on to harder work and struggling a little,that and my grammar seems to be going out of the window more often than before.
Original post by OddThings
I personally love this thread idea and it seems to have...died out a bit. So,how is everyone finding their language learning 'journeys' so far? I'm in my third year of learning German,and have so far loved all of it.But now I'm moving on to harder work and struggling a little,that and my grammar seems to be going out of the window more often than before.

I'm trying to learn german for IB and its vocab and fluency i'm trying to work on, i enjoy practicing sentences though :P

This thread is awesome
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I'm trying to learn german for IB and its vocab and fluency i'm trying to work on, i enjoy practicing sentences though :P

This thread is awesome

Same here :smile: I'm sitting AH German(scottish qualifications). I just ordered 'Wort fur Wort' and it looks amazing!
I found videos by this guy called Richard both inspiring and pretty useful too. He's a polyglot who can speak 16 languages:

Original post by Two-Headed Boy
I found videos by this guy called Richard both inspiring and pretty useful too. He's a polyglot who can speak 16 languages:

He's really arrogant, but seems actually pretty good. By far the most grating thing is that he says "erm" in every language. :p:
Original post by generalebriety
He's really arrogant, but seems actually pretty good. By far the most grating thing is that he says "erm" in every language. :p:

Haha, it'd take a great deal of humility to not come across as arrogant when you can speak sixteen languages...
Original post by Two-Headed Boy
Haha, it'd take a great deal of humility to not come across as arrogant when you can speak sixteen languages...

I don't mind if he comes across as arrogant in situations that call for his language ability, but that video is literally showing off. Unless he's advertising a tutoring service or something, youtube does not need to know. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending