The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sam smith
Has anyone heard back from JP Morgan (markets)? - all the interviews are now over so should be fairly soon

How do you know all interviews are over?
Interviews for JPM aren't over mines tomorrow !
Original post by woods.vanessa
Interviews for JPM aren't over mines tomorrow !

Really? For "experience the markets"? I was only given choice of 2 dates last tues or yesterday. And so were others I spoke to.
Are we assuming you have scales or something and so you can weigh two sets at a time which counts as one weighing?
Reply 2864
Original post by Michael XYZ
Are we assuming you have scales or something and so you can weigh two sets at a time which counts as one weighing?

yeah
Damn, that's a good question and nice brainteaser.

Definitely not looking forward to getting something like that asked though. :frown:
Reply 2866
Damn, that's a good question and nice brainteaser.

Definitely not looking forward to getting something like that asked though. :frown:

Why? You now know the answer.
Reply 2867
PWC Insight Academy offer :smile:
I was just wondering if anyone knows if you can book a date for it and then change/cancel it afterwards? It's just that I would value an investment banking spring week more highly and so I don't want to book a date for PWC and then find that it clashes with an IBD spring week. Ideally I want to do PWC and an IB one both in the easter holidays and PWC is 2-5th April. Otherwise I could do it July or September. Can't seem to find any IBD dates though. What should I do???
Original post by jevira
Why? You now know the answer.

Oh no well I meant in general brainteasers not that specific one. Not really any good at them. :frown:
Reply 2869
Oh no well I meant in general brainteasers not that specific one. Not really any good at them. :frown:

Well, here's one more for you:

Let's say our watch is telling us that it is 5.15 pm. Now on a wall clock, what would be the angle between the two clock hands?
Reply 2870
Original post by sam smith
Really? For "experience the markets"? I was only given choice of 2 dates last tues or yesterday. And so were others I spoke to.

hm he could be right - for ibd interviews were last tuesday and today (wednesday) and they said they will let us know after they have finished interviewing.
Original post by jevira
Well, here's one more for you:

Let's say our watch is telling us that it is 5.15 pm. Now on a wall clock, what would be the angle between the two clock hands?

That's not a brainteaser though, that's just maths.

You can't really prepare for brainteasers, you can only develop your mind into thinking a certain way, apply logic, think outside the box etc. The way that you answer a brainteaser is often more important than what you answer. They're wanting to look at how you work on an unfamiliar concept...and can still come across well even if you answer it incorrectly so long as you clearly demonstrate how you got to that answer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2872
Original post by Marc Fiorano
That's not a brainteaser though, that's just maths.

I'd say it is one.
Original post by jevira
I'd say it is one.

The angle between two hands on a clock? That's pretty straightforward maths I'd say, 12 points (or 60 if you consider a minute that's not a multiple of 5) over 360 degrees, find the angle over 1 point, multiply it by however many points are in between the two hands. Simples.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jevira
I'd say it is one.

It is.
Reply 2875
Original post by Marc Fiorano
The angle between two hands on a clock? That's pretty straightforward maths I'd say, 12 points over 360 degrees, find the angle over 1 point, multiply it by however many points are in between the two hands. Simples.

Sure, if you've heard this question once it isn't tricky anymore. But if you do it the first time you could forget remembering (like me...haha) that the hour-hand (can I say it like this?) always moves. My first answer to this question was 0°. haha.
Reply 2876
The clock problem is solved easily in the general case with some simple maths.

Another one I've heard about is when do two hands of a clock overlap (again it's just a specific case of the above)

Brainteasers in general are the best part of an interview for me as you generally know if you've answered the question right. Whereas with competency questions (especially in telephone interviews) it's difficult to judge how well you may be doing.
Reply 2877
this may sound really stupid guys, but i just did my RBS logical test and wanted to know if you had to click the 'submit response' button for each of the answers or could you just let the time run out?

I think i left a few like that and then realised it might not get recorded? anyone got any ideas?

cheers
Yes that's why I don't like it lol.

We'll see, they're meant to be fairly hard so it's not like it's hard only for me. Still, I've never been great at these kinds of things. I'm more of a work-hard and get it person instead of someone who has things just click easily for them.
Original post by jevira
Sure, if you've heard this question once it isn't tricky anymore. But if you do it the first time you could forget remembering (like me...haha) that the hour-hand (can I say it like this?) always moves. My first answer to this question was 0°. haha.

The only thing that got me thinking about the way you've phrased the question is that it says the time on YOUR watch is 5:15, not the time on the wall clock itself. So you either go off in the assumption that the time on your watch is identical to that on the wall clock or you answer the question with a question, asking whether the wall clock is indeed also showing 5:15am.

Latest

Trending

Trending