The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

We've just been asked if we want to go to Poland for a few days in a week when we are supposed to be at uni, so this has obviously boosted the mood of the people on my course considerably.. Even those with less money/families are up for this break away, so hopefully having this to look forward to will keep me pretty jolly the next few weeks... :biggrin:
I found a job on TES it is PERFECT for me, it's far away enough that no one local will really go there but due to the perfect location and empty back streets it's only a ten minute drive away. The school is a brilliant school as well. Filling out my application form now, hopefully I'll get an interview. The only annoying thing is it's in the Outer London pay band and the school that's a five minute walk away is in the Inner London pay band. But I think it's only about £100 a month difference.
Good luck. I think that you may be at a bonus in that a lot of people may not have started applying for jobs yet. My friend works at a Primary and only 45 people applied to the post advertised a couple of weeks ago - I thought it would have been a lot more than that!
When is the closing date?
Closing date is the 25th, there are a good few people on my course who live near me who would be interested in applying for the job so I need to keep my mouth shut. Does that make me selfish?? Don't care! lol It's a July start too.
Original post by *Sparkle*
I found a job on TES it is PERFECT for me, it's far away enough that no one local will really go there but due to the perfect location and empty back streets it's only a ten minute drive away. The school is a brilliant school as well. Filling out my application form now, hopefully I'll get an interview. The only annoying thing is it's in the Outer London pay band and the school that's a five minute walk away is in the Inner London pay band. But I think it's only about £100 a month difference.

Good luck!:smile:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Good luck!:smile:

Thank you, I have sent my cover letter to my mentor at my old school as they told me to send them anything, hopefully he'll get back to me soon.
Closing date is the 25th, there are a good few people on my course who live near me who would be interested in applying for the job so I need to keep my mouth shut. Does that make me selfish?? Don't care! lol It's a July start too.

haha, no, its a dog eat dog world!!

I can understand that.

That said, a lad on my course applied for something and is waiting to hear if he has an interview. But, when people ask whereabouts the school is or what year group it is for, etc, he gets all caging and won't tell. Lol. I think that's a bit random, especially as the closing date has been and gone and none of us asking have started looking yet. Bless him.

Currently finishing off my plans. My class teachers less than helpful suggestion that I re-do three weeks of planning at the drop of a hat, before she had even looked at what I have done, is being ignored for now. I simply do not have the energy. I am like a zombie today - I was up until 1am sorting out my formative essay submission, after reading what felt like hundreds of journal articles. :redface:

Plus, my head is killing me. I've had a headache, literally non-stop, for around three months now. I went to the opticians and they did extra tests and stuff and said it is nothing to do with my eyes. It is so hard to concentrate when your head is banging all the time. :frown:
Original post by affinity89
I can understand that.

That said, a lad on my course applied for something and is waiting to hear if he has an interview. But, when people ask whereabouts the school is or what year group it is for, etc, he gets all caging and won't tell. Lol. I think that's a bit random, especially as the closing date has been and gone and none of us asking have started looking yet. Bless him.

Currently finishing off my plans. My class teachers less than helpful suggestion that I re-do three weeks of planning at the drop of a hat, before she had even looked at what I have done, is being ignored for now. I simply do not have the energy. I am like a zombie today - I was up until 1am sorting out my formative essay submission, after reading what felt like hundreds of journal articles. :redface:

Plus, my head is killing me. I've had a headache, literally non-stop, for around three months now. I went to the opticians and they did extra tests and stuff and said it is nothing to do with my eyes. It is so hard to concentrate when your head is banging all the time. :frown:

:frown: That just sounds like a whole barrel of fun. Hope your head gets sorted soon, I know the feeling of eye/head ache. The hospital told me I just have to live with it so you have my sympathy.
Thank you, I have sent my cover letter to my mentor at my old school as they told me to send them anything, hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

Fingers crossed.:smile:
Reply 850
Hopefully I'll be starting a pgce in september.....and hints from you lot on how I could start preparing? Is anyone studying at northumbria? thanks :smile:
Original post by amylou
Hopefully I'll be starting a pgce in september.....and hints from you lot on how I could start preparing? Is anyone studying at northumbria? thanks :smile:

As much observation as you can fit in, in as many types of school as you can manage, with detailed notes of what you see the teachers doing.
My supervisor checked my planning file today. He said it was one of the best he'd seen and that I am clearly 'into' the planning side of things. He said that he was very pleased with it.

Two hours later, I am sat with my teacher going through the same file. No such positivity. Despite her saying my literacy plans are great and that she thinks the children will enjoy them, I must change them. I must 'change cultures' from India to Egypt! So, now I have to find suitable books and replan the entire thing. It is so irritating. Not least because we talked about it before Christmas, before I started planning, and she said no such thing about my suggestion to focus on India - she raised no objections. Why wait until I am about to start teaching and have spent so much time on the process? :frown: So, that is my evening panned out - she wants to see them tomorrow.

The other student at my school, who drives and thus gives me a lift [I give him petrol money] is not going in tomorrow. Given that we would be mucked in to tidy up, as the headteacher wants to reorganise the costume cupboard, I can understand his reasons. What with the assignments and this need to re-plan [and re-gather/remake the resources to go with it all], I am tempted to do the same. I told my teacher I would email the new plans tomorrow, for sure.

I feel guilty though - already. These two days are down on our timetables as 'independent study days'. However, I think some schools expect us to be in. I expected to be in, but now I have additional work to do, despite being up tweaking my plans until 1am on Tuesday and 2am last night. It is two buses to this school, taking an hour and 30 minutes. Am I justified in working from home tomorrow? I know it is all about the impression you give, but then again, I don't even want to be a teacher, so I guess that doesn't matter all that much. I'm conflicted. :/
If its an independent study day you are 100% entitled to study at home. You shouldnt be expected to go in if you're not timetabled too.
I don't even want to be a teacher, so I guess that doesn't matter all that much. I'm conflicted. :/

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why are you doing PGCE if you dont want to be a teacher?
Original post by jackclarke1995
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why are you doing PGCE if you dont want to be a teacher?

I did when I applied...
The course has killed that for me. :frown:
Reply 856
My supervisor checked my planning file today. He said it was one of the best he'd seen and that I am clearly 'into' the planning side of things. He said that he was very pleased with it.

Two hours later, I am sat with my teacher going through the same file. No such positivity. Despite her saying my literacy plans are great and that she thinks the children will enjoy them, I must change them. I must 'change cultures' from India to Egypt! So, now I have to find suitable books and replan the entire thing. It is so irritating. Not least because we talked about it before Christmas, before I started planning, and she said no such thing about my suggestion to focus on India - she raised no objections. Why wait until I am about to start teaching and have spent so much time on the process? :frown: So, that is my evening panned out - she wants to see them tomorrow.

The other student at my school, who drives and thus gives me a lift [I give him petrol money] is not going in tomorrow. Given that we would be mucked in to tidy up, as the headteacher wants to reorganise the costume cupboard, I can understand his reasons. What with the assignments and this need to re-plan [and re-gather/remake the resources to go with it all], I am tempted to do the same. I told my teacher I would email the new plans tomorrow, for sure.

I feel guilty though - already. These two days are down on our timetables as 'independent study days'. However, I think some schools expect us to be in. I expected to be in, but now I have additional work to do, despite being up tweaking my plans until 1am on Tuesday and 2am last night. It is two buses to this school, taking an hour and 30 minutes. Am I justified in working from home tomorrow? I know it is all about the impression you give, but then again, I don't even want to be a teacher, so I guess that doesn't matter all that much. I'm conflicted. :/

If I were you I would make it easier for myself and stay at home. You are well within your rights to do that. I never have independent study days as I'm on block but if I did there is not a cat in hells chance I would be anywhere near school. I spend enough time there as it is. Can you tell I'm getting a bit jaded by the whole teaching thing too?
I did when I applied...
The course has killed that for me. :frown:

I completely understand that, but the job itself is much better. The first year is also a hassle, because you've got to do your NQT stuff, but after that, it gets a lot less full of irrelevant annoyances.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I completely understand that, but the job itself is much better. The first year is also a hassle, because you've got to do your NQT stuff, but after that, it gets a lot less full of irrelevant annoyances.

What does NQT 'Stuff' entail?

We haven't been told this yet, but are back in uni in a couple of weeks so hope to be told then.
Original post by jaime1986
What does NQT 'Stuff' entail?

We haven't been told this yet, but are back in uni in a couple of weeks so hope to be told then.

I no longer have any contact with it, but there are lots of hoops to jump through and regular observations and mentoring sessions. Same old, same old, really, but with an understanding that you do also have an (almost) full time job to do as well, so less of the pointless essay writing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending