The Student Room Group

Edexcel Psychology A2 Unit 3 - January 19th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I am really freaking out, I'm trying so hard for this exam I feel like it's going to go overboard and have the complete adverse effect :frown:

Could someone please help me with a potential 12 marker for Anger Management outline and evaluation?

Wikipedia is on protest the only time I actually need help.

My teacher predicts the Crim 12 Marker on Anger Management and Child on Autism. A brief outline of the description of AM and the evaluation points would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
Reply 81
Original post by persian_tanya
hey guys, how's the revision going for tomorrow?

Not too bad, I'm just flicking over my notes and doing a few practises Q's.
Everyone in my class said they're gonna cram but I'm sticking to some light revision because I did loads over Christmas.

What about you?

Also, how did everyone do in AS? I got a B overall but I'm retaking Unit 2 in the summer.
Reply 82
Autism can gtfo tbh.
That's gonna be my downfall, and we've all asked to have him go over it again and he just ignores us -.-
Reply 83
Original post by lukex20
I am really freaking out, I'm trying so hard for this exam I feel like it's going to go overboard and have the complete adverse effect :frown:

Could someone please help me with a potential 12 marker for Anger Management outline and evaluation?

Wikipedia is on protest the only time I actually need help.

My teacher predicts the Crim 12 Marker on Anger Management and Child on Autism. A brief outline of the description of AM and the evaluation points would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

A01 Bit

- Anger management was a programmed developed by Navaco
- Used in prisons ...blah blah blah
- He claimed that anger was from behavioural , physiological and cognitive elements
- Angermanagemen teaches relaxation techniques for physiological response such as breathing in and out and uses cognitive reconstructing to change behavioural thought patterns and the behavioural part of anger i.e counting up 10
-Mention 3 step programme in depth ,
cognitive prep , skills aquistion,application practice.

A02

- Pearson , CBT supportive study
- Loza and Loza against and found no link
-Some people are only violent sometimes , i.e for intimidaton or defence
-Ireland, found significant changes so its a supportive study
- Dowden , Blanchette and Serin , reported succeses.

This is a basic outline :smile: perhaps include example to up A02 marks
Reply 84
can somebody kindly go through autism please. and what the evaluation ao2 points are. i predict autism to come up as the biggy!
Reply 85
Whats the difference between Bowlby's theory of attachment & his maternal deprivation hypothesis?!

Basicly, how do I go about describing these? I know some evaluation points.. it's just I get confused about how to describe these 2.. Do i mention the role of evolution, social releasers, internal workiing model and mat. dep. hypothesis when describing his theory of attachment?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by 7586
Whats the difference between Bowlby's theory of attachment & his maternal deprivation hypothesis?!

Not much. bowlbys maternal deprivation hypothesis is included in his theory of attachment.
it means tht a child should have the constant presence of its mother in the critical period (0-3 years). if tht bond is broken, then it could lead to social, emotional and intellectual problems such as mental retardation and affectionless psychopathy (the inability of empathise with others) supported by his 44 juvenile study
Reply 87
Original post by mrsay
Not much. bowlbys maternal deprivation hypothesis is included in his theory of attachment.
it means tht a child should have the constant presence of its mother in the critical period (0-3 years). if tht bond is broken, then it could lead to social, emotional and intellectual problems such as mental retardation and affectionless psychopathy (the inability of empathise with others) supported by his 44 juvenile study

So if I'm asked to describe his theory of attachment, I'd need to mention the deprivation hypothesis? Would I also need to mention stuff about social releasers, internal working models & role of evolution?
Original post by danielleL
Autism can gtfo tbh.
That's gonna be my downfall, and we've all asked to have him go over it again and he just ignores us -.-

Autism

Descriptive points, autistic children
- avoid eye contact
- can range from mild (usually diagnosed as aspergers) to havong severe language development difficulties - spectrum (ASD)
- difficulty understanding figuarative language
- my engage in inappropriate repetitive behaviours
- may avoid proxemity to other people
- autistic children, usually those with asperagers, can have an exceptional ability in an area, e.g maths and are known as autistic savants.

Two theories

Theory of the mind - Baron-Cohen's cognitive explanation Sally Anne test (cba to go to it in detail) .

Extreme male brain - Baron Cohen's biological explanation Males are better at visuo-spatial tasks, females better at language tasks. females better at empathising, males better at systemising. Austic children are even better yet at systeming and worse at empathising. Male brains are heavier than female brains, and Bailey et al. (1994) found that autistic people have an even heavier than normal brain.

According to my teacher, you need to be able to compare the two theories but not evalulate them, I don't know if this correct but it's what she said.

Identify two issues -

Diffuclty making friends. Use above characteristics to illustrate why, Bauminger and Kasari reported autistic children feel more lonely, but they understand less about lonliness.

Diffculty communicating. Again apply chacteristics.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by 7586
So if I'm asked to describe his theory of attachment, I'd need to mention the deprivation hypothesis? Would I also need to mention stuff about social releasers, internal working models & role of evolution?

Yeah you'd definitely want to mention about all of those! They're crucial to be included! My teacher also said anger management looks likely to come up! :s-smilie: Better get cracking on looking at it again!
Original post by oli_042
Yeah you'd definitely want to mention about all of those! They're crucial to be included! My teacher also said anger management looks likely to come up! :s-smilie: Better get cracking on looking at it again!

anger management part of criminology?
because im doing health and i feel like the odd one out.
Reply 91
Original post by Glow Cream
anger management part of criminology?
because im doing health and i feel like the odd one out.

Yeah, we're studying it in criminal psychology! Sorry!
Reply 92
What if we get a 12 marker on comparing the two explanations of autism? would anyone kindlyy help there?????
Reply 93
Original post by mrsay
What if we get a 12 marker on comparing the two explanations of autism? would anyone kindlyy help there?????

I have no idea for a 12 marker you'd have to go into a lot more detail about empirical evidence supporting/unsupported.

It came us a 4 marker in 2010 and this is what the mark scheme said for Theory of Mind and Extreme Male Brain, verbatim:

- Both theories explain Autism by examining lack of social skills
- However EMB looks at how the brain develops prenatally whereas TofM explains a lack of decentring ability.
- Increased testosterone is the responsible for EMB, whereas TofM concerns developmental deficit.
- Both theories are supported by experimental research using experiments to assess social skills and perceptual/cognitive ability.

for extra marks one would include suitable examples. but for 12 marks i have no idea, it would be a very mean question.

just looking over my notes some additional points to include could be:

- They both look at the systemising vs empathising argument.
- EMB suggests brain difference cause superior social and communication skill in females, and Austics are characterised by lack of this skill, whereas TofM suggests Autistics are unable to see the world different to their own point of view which is referred to as 'mindblindness'

these 2 are just my extra points i don't know how far they'd be credited in an answer, though. Hope this helps!
Reply 94
Argh, I need to learn loads of evaluation points for 12mark questions that might come up... I always mess them up!!

Does anyone have an idea of the kind of 12 mark questions which might come up? :s

I've still got a lot to learn/memorize as well!

I wanted to do an all-nighter but I've decided to sleep now & then wake up at 5am. Wish me luck!
Reply 95
Original post by 7586
Argh, I need to learn loads of evaluation points for 12mark questions that might come up... I always mess them up!!

Does anyone have an idea of the kind of 12 mark questions which might come up? :s

I've still got a lot to learn/memorize as well!

I wanted to do an all-nighter but I've decided to sleep now & then wake up at 5am. Wish me luck!

my teacher's predictions

Crime: Anger Management or 3 Studies into EWT
Child: Bowlby, Autism or Practical.
Original post by lukex20
my teacher's predictions

Crime: Anger Management or 3 Studies into EWT
Child: Bowlby, Autism or Practical.

what he/she any more specific than that?
especially for Bowlby...
Bowlby's theory of attachment or Bowlbys MDH?
describe and evaluate questions...

thanks for the info lad.
Reply 97
what he/she any more specific than that?
especially for Bowlby...
Bowlby's theory of attachment or Bowlbys MDH?
describe and evaluate questions...

thanks for the info lad.

But theres not much you can say for a 12 marker on autism :s
Original post by mrsay
But theres not much you can say for a 12 marker on autism :s

hmm true but I reckon bowlby's 44 thieves study might come up as the 12marker

anyways night night guys dont let the bed bugs bite.
Reply 99
hmm true but I reckon bowlby's 44 thieves study might come up as the 12marker

anyways night night guys dont let the bed bugs bite.

44 thieves was the 12 marker for June 2010

also, i can't really be more specific anger management and the practical and ewt are pretty basic really. and bowlbys theory of attachment includes his MDH just make sure you include things like internal working model and evolutionary perspectives and continuous relationships etc.

autism might be something like

'You have studied one... blah...

outline this and explain different explanations for this'

goodnight everyone and good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply