The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billet-doux
Passed my mid-sessional exam, YAY :biggrin: Now just to decide on a BSc :frown:

I think i'm applying for surgical sciences at king's. but there's more competition as an external, let's see if i'm lucky!
Original post by Isometrix
I think i'm applying for surgical sciences at king's. but there's more competition as an external, let's see if i'm lucky!

It looks like a really good course! I was tempted to go for it, but then I saw that they give preference to students who are in third year or above, which makes sense I guess. Good luck with your application! :smile:
Original post by billet-doux
It looks like a really good course! I was tempted to go for it, but then I saw that they give preference to students who are in third year or above, which makes sense I guess. Good luck with your application! :smile:

Oh really, that's good then :biggrin:. But from what I gather selection is purely on academic merit, so it's going to be tough. yep, you too!

I have also applied to King's. Not for surgical sciences though (I'd rather quit medicine).
Original post by Kinkerz
I have also applied to King's. Not for surgical sciences though (I'd rather quit medicine).

What you gone for?

Actually, wait i'm guessing pharmacology?
(edited 12 years ago)
What you gone for?

Actually, wait i'm guessing pharmacology?

Pharmacology indeed :yep:
Reply 8406
Original post by RollerBall
I have to make a 10 minute presentation on current/future treatments of malaria on the 15h and I haven't started yet? Is this seriously bad or not?

15th of feb? plenty of time!

Not sure if you can talk about prevention, but if so the new vaccine GSK are putting out is pretty exciting stuff.

On a totally different note, I just stumbled upon this; it's pretty flipping cool:
Does anyone has a subscription to topics in current chemistry?? If they do, issue 305 is a special issue on prions I need the whole thing if anyone is kind enough to do PDF...Please :smile: College has it in hard copy - sods law, the issue is missing, and we're too poor to have a subscription...
Original post by Kinkerz
Exactly. Many people in this position simply don't know the level to pitch to medical students.

I think that entirely depends where you go. And you'll get some grounding in that if you intercalate, also.

PBL makes an attempt at moulding students into thinking. It doesn't always do it well but with a good facilitator, a nicely constructed case and a decent group of students, it really can.

I really wish you'd stop the whole "students teaching students" malarkey. That's not what PBL is and demonstrates a fundamental misconception. In PBL the idea isn't to be strictly taught everything by your fellows. It does give you the opportunity to ask questions and get things clarified, but nobody in PBL should be teaching you an entire topic. You're supposed to be comfortable with the topic at hand before you walk through the doors to the PBL room (let's face it, there isn't much in medicine that's so conceptually challenging that this is infeasible).

I have to explain PBL next week to 6th form students, what am I going to say?
I have to make a 10 minute presentation on current/future treatments of malaria on the 15h and I haven't started yet? Is this seriously bad or not?

Malaria is quite interesting - theres some new drugs out.
Reply 8410
Original post by Wangers
Does anyone has a subscription to topics in current chemistry?? If they do, issue 305 is a special issue on prions I need the whole thing if anyone is kind enough to do PDF...Please :smile: College has it in hard copy - sods law, the issue is missing, and we're too poor to have a subscription...

Tried with VPN, no luck.
Original post by Kinkerz

idol :suith:
Original post by Wangers

what volume is it? have access to journal but not sure if can access electronically.
Original post by Kinkerz
Pharmacology indeed :yep:

Knew it! Let me know how the application goes, I'm yet to send mine off. Need to get the reference and permission documents together first. Who knows, may even see you around in September! You applying anywhere else externally?
Ugh - psych on call was such a drag. Saw 3 patients in the course of 10 hours and spent almost the entire day doing naff all. Not the career for me.
Original post by Wangers
Malaria is quite interesting - theres some new drugs out.

Also the vaccine news.

Original post by Wangers
I have to explain PBL next week to 6th form students, what am I going to say?

Tell them to save themselves whilst they still can.

Original post by Mushi_master
Ugh - psych on call was such a drag. Saw 3 patients in the course of 10 hours and spent almost the entire day doing naff all. Not the career for me.

Exactly why I disliked psych the most, I used to see like 3 patients a week. (Until I went to the ICU (or a similar sounding name) for a week where they had people under sections, try to get some time there if you can. I learnt more in that week than in my entire block).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Exactly why I disliked psych the most, I used to see like 3 patients a week. (Until I went to the ICU (or a similar sounding name) for a week where they had people under sections, try to get some time there if you can. I learnt more in that week than in my entire block).

It's just all so damn long winded. Yeah we went on there briefly today, could be interesting to spend some time on there.
Original post by Mushi_master

Sounds like it could be immense if paired with a decent handheld console.
Sounds like it could be immense if paired with a decent handheld console.

Oh if only I brought my 3DS. Mario Kart would have massively improved my life today.
As if it's not enough sitting finals, trying to organise last minute elective details and ranking 584 jobs, all in a freezing cold house we can't afford to heat properly, today I got a summons for jury service. For in the middle of my elective. Cause I could really do with more stress in my life right now, grrrrrrrrr!

*and relax*

Latest

Trending

Trending