Original post by ben-smith
Is anyone going to UCL this wednesday?

I was there.....
Original post by TheMagicMan
I was there.....

I think we met.
I think we met.

I assume you were the one going to christ's?
I assume you were the one going to christ's?

Yes, I think I sat next to you in the lecture as well. What did you think?
Yes, I think I sat next to you in the lecture as well. What did you think?

It was much smaller than I expected. Also, I thought the lecture was a bit patronising...
It was much smaller than I expected. Also, I thought the lecture was a bit patronising...

I'm still mourning the lack of quantum mechanics throughout the whole bloody 4 year degree. At Cambridge you can do at least 3 courses of it in the first 3 years, not to mention part III where you can do qft and quantum computing :angry:
I'm still mourning the lack of quantum mechanics throughout the whole bloody 4 year degree. At Cambridge you can do at least 3 courses of it in the first 3 years, not to mention part III where you can do qft and quantum computing :angry:

They were obsessed by fluid mechanics...literally every single person I spoke to mentioned how great it was. No quantum mech is a big downer as that is one of the particular things I want to study at uni
They were obsessed by fluid mechanics...literally every single person I spoke to mentioned how great it was. No quantum mech is a big downer as that is one of the particular things I want to study at uni

I know! I mean, sure, if you're good at fluid mechanics then it should be mentioned but still...
I still find it hard to believe that there is zero QM. I guess I'm going to have to do whatever it takes to get into cambridge as it is so good for applied maths.
I know! I mean, sure, if you're good at fluid mechanics then it should be mentioned but still...
I still find it hard to believe that there is zero QM. I guess I'm going to have to do whatever it takes to get into cambridge as it is so good for applied maths.

Maybe choose a different insurance instead? I'm guessing you have three other solid courses to consider, at least one of which will do more QM/physics stuff than UCL.

For what it's worth, I wasn't too impressed with the London universities when I visited a few last year. It might just be me, though.
I'm gonna have UCL as insurance anyway, I think I was more impressed by London than UCL itself considering I hadn't been down there since 2009. Would love to live there
I have D1 tomorrow...aggh!!

Anyone got any tips if you've already done it or are doing it as well tomorrow?
Original post by BeccaCath94

I have D1 tomorrow...aggh!!

Anyone got any tips if you've already done it or are doing it as well tomorrow?

i'm self studying it and i've done 1 hour of reading the textbook. the school policy is that the whole of set 1 does it without teaching because most of us need very few marks in it to keep the A*... so not too nervous about it because i have 8 other modules to do. it would be nice to do well though, our teacher's offered a chocolate bar to the highest scorer and i like chocolate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by theharrovian
i'm self studying it and i've done 1 hour of reading the textbook. the school policy is that the whole of set 1 does it without teaching because most of us need very few marks in it to keep the A*

You've done no past papers? Because the mark scheme for D1 is a %^%£.
Original post by ccfcadam36
yeah they want 2 A's because i already got an A* in maths. I feel the same really, I went to the open day and I really liked it, but that was a long time ago and I want to make sure it definitely is my first choice.

Got a letter back on from Bath, definitely going on the 29th Feb. Probably will just go down for the day... gonna be a lonngg day though. It's one flight and two trains to get to Bath from where I am "/

So might see you there then =)
Original post by theharrovian
i'm self studying it and i've done 1 hour of reading the textbook. the school policy is that the whole of set 1 does it without teaching because most of us need very few marks in it to keep the A*... so not too nervous about it because i have 8 other modules to do. it would be nice to do well though, our teacher's offered a chocolate bar to the highest scorer and i like chocolate.

Yeah i'm self studying too. It'll be part of my further maths AS i'm doing in year 13 which unis don't really care too much about but it'll be good knowledge for uni... :smile:
Good luck...that chocolate bribe sounds good!! :tongue:

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
You've done no past papers? Because the mark scheme for D1 is a %^%£.

I know....its awful!! I've spent 1/2 hour at least just now going through all the markschemes and an examiners report noting down key things needed to get marks. The maths itself isnt actually that hard but one small mistake and you could lose 5 or so marks on a question.... :/ The grade boundaries look quite high too! On one (may've been jan 09) you needed 67/75 to get an A :eek:
I know....its awful!! I've spent 1/2 hour at least just now going through all the markschemes and an examiners report noting down key things needed to get marks. The maths itself isnt actually that hard but one small mistake and you could lose 5 or so marks on a question.... :/ The grade boundaries look quite high too! On one (may've been jan 09) you needed 67/75 to get an A :eek:

I know, it's tragic. I got an D in my mock. -__- Stupid D1, I know what's worse, that or S2.

I know, it's tragic. I got an D in my mock. -__- Stupid D1, I know what's worse, that or S2.

I'm quite fond of S2 but I was a lot more nervous about it than I am for D1 or M1. M1 is what I'm most confident about because if I get something wrong it's not because I don't know my stuff.

My Decision teacher keeps giving us past papers… and I rarely do them all the way through. As a consequence I haven't done a single linear programming question in ages. Whoops, but it's the definitions that bother me.

I hate D1....worst maths module!!! You can barely even call it maths....draw a few digrams and plot shortest paths...... can't wait until its over and beg i dont have to resit!!

Original post by Edwin Okli
I'm quite fond of S2 but I was a lot more nervous about it than I am for D1 or M1. M1 is what I'm most confident about because if I get something wrong it's not because I don't know my stuff.

My Decision teacher keeps giving us past papers… and I rarely do them all the way through. As a consequence I haven't done a single linear programming question in ages. Whoops, but it's the definitions that bother me.

M1 i'll be doing in june and i'm so scared about it!!! :frown: :frown: I hate it! Statistics was hard at the start of year 12 but now its growing on me and i'm getting to like it....but i prefer core and fp1 the best...

1. you have a decision teacher?? I've had to self teach it :frown:
2. Same. I havent done a linear programming q...i miss them out because i cant be bothered to draw them...i probably should do one or two for practise....
Cheers Bristol, took your time but that's 5/5 :smile:

I also have D1 tomorrow, I'm unprepared for it but I already have 4 UMS more than what I need for an A* :dontknow:

dead worried about M3 next friday though.
Original post by dnumberwang
Cheers Bristol, took your time but that's 5/5 :smile:

I also have D1 tomorrow, I'm unprepared for it but I already have 4 UMS more than what I need for an A* :dontknow:

dead worried about M3 next friday though.

Well done on bristol!!! :biggrin:
Oh haha :/ Thats pretty pointless RE: D1....is it part of further maths for you or core maths?

Latest