The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nephilim

It's quite simple (compared to his other works) but there is a difficult chord change (and it's quite a stretch) in the 16th bar.

Original post by Kartace
Grade dipABRSM

3 favourite pieces -
Debussy - Tarantella Styrienne
Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini
Ravel - Concerto in G Major

Original post by alex_hk90
Fur Elise? Something by Einaudi (I like Nefeli and I think it's quite easy)? Pachelbel's Canon?

Original post by Fingersmith
The obvious ones are Bach's Anna Magdalena Notebook that he wrote for his wife, who was learning the harpsichord.

thanks!
i've heard of a few of these, and i'll check the rest out =)
(hopefully i can manage these - the fast bit in fur elise scares me a bit...)
Original post by KaurPrincess
thanks!
i've heard of a few of these, and i'll check the rest out =)
(hopefully i can manage these - the fast bit in fur elise scares me a bit...)

I'm not sure the ones i mentioned would be suitable to teach yourself :tongue: Although they are awsome pieces. Two of which i've attempted to play...badly haha
Some of Satie's pieces are really haunting but quite simple.
Reply 1923
I've just had my fourth piano lesson and my teacher says she reckons I'll be able to do grade 2 in the summer. I'm really happy but does that seem a little too optimistic or is that just me? Seems so quick!
Original post by metric
I've just had my fourth piano lesson and my teacher says she reckons I'll be able to do grade 2 in the summer. I'm really happy but does that seem a little too optimistic or is that just me? Seems so quick!

It sounds feasible. Of course it depends on how much effort and time you're putting in, how much natural talent you have, etc. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by metric

One of the advantages of starting late is that you already have musical experience to draw on (mayber more than you realize). It's always going to be a slower atart with young kids.
Reply 1926
It sounds feasible. Of course it depends on how much effort and time you're putting in, how much natural talent you have, etc. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks, I'm practising quite a lot and knew a tiny bit before so I think that's helping :smile:

Original post by Fingersmith
One of the advantages of starting late is that you already have musical experience to draw on (mayber more than you realize). It's always going to be a slower atart with young kids.

That's true, I taught myself the guitar so I guess that is helping too.
Bought the Rolan HP305 digital piano for £1300 yesterday. So nice. Reduced from over £2000 from its RRP. Beautiful piano for the price. Sure it's no real piano, but it comes fairly close!
Good choice and good price. Wouldn't do for me though as I have to take mine out on gigs.
Grade 8 :smile:

Favorite piano pieces:
La Campanella - Liszt
Claire de Lune - Debussy
Sonata No.1 Mvt I - Carl vine (just awesome)
Hi guys, I've been practising piano on my own for about a year now and I was wandering if someone could link me up to some common Grade 1 pieces so I can see where I'm at.
Original post by Jin3011
Hi guys, I've been practising piano on my own for about a year now and I was wandering if someone could link me up to some common Grade 1 pieces so I can see where I'm at.

http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/5/53/IMSLP133472-WIMA.1dcf-Schumann_Op.68_2_Soldatenmarsch.pdf

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/b/bc/IMSLP111134-PMLP34746-Haydn-sym-94-andante-piano.mscz.pdf
Hi,

I've been learning the piano for a while and my teacher is now suggesting that I should do ABRSM grade 8 this Christmas. I'm not sure what to tell her though because I know I get nervous in exams and I don't know if it's worth the stress?

Would it look good to do it? :smile:
Original post by mozzabozza
Hi,

I've been learning the piano for a while and my teacher is now suggesting that I should do ABRSM grade 8 this Christmas. I'm not sure what to tell her though because I know I get nervous in exams and I don't know if it's worth the stress?

I think it's worth doing as an indicator of your technical level, also if you ever wanted to teach or something I think it would be useful to have.
I think it's worth doing as an indicator of your technical level, also if you ever wanted to teach or something I think it would be useful to have.

Thanks for that, I had my lesson today, so I am probably going to do it :smile:
Reply 1936
I've been having lessons for nearly 6 years now, although I got my first keyboard about 9 years ago so I taught myself (aka mucked about, I was about 7 then!) for a few years before that. I'll be taking grade 8 in December this year (A1 or A3, B1 and C4).

My three favourite pieces are:

1. Etude Op.10 No.3 in E major -Adieu (Chopin)
2. Moonlight Sonata, 3rd Movement (Beethoven)
3. Sonata in D Minor Kp.9 (Scarlatti)

Yes, the first two are cliché, but there's a reason they're so famous! I love listening to (or playing) pretty much anything, particularly baroque and classical.
Original post by mozzabozza
Hi,

It would help you if you're planning to apply for unis in the future or to go down the teaching route. It's an extra qualification to put down. What other gradings for piano have you done?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jacinthe
I've been having lessons for nearly 6 years now, although I got my first keyboard about 9 years ago so I taught myself (aka mucked about, I was about 7 then!) for a few years before that. I'll be taking grade 8 in December this year (A1 or A3, B1 and C4).

My three favourite pieces are:

1. Etude Op.10 No.3 in E major -Adieu (Chopin)
2. Moonlight Sonata, 3rd Movement (Beethoven)
3. Sonata in D Minor Kp.9 (Scarlatti)

Yes, the first two are cliché, but there's a reason they're so famous! I love listening to (or playing) pretty much anything, particularly baroque and classical.

That's called Tristesse, not Adieu. Adieu is a Chopin waltz D:
Reply 1939
Original post by Nephilim
That's called Tristesse, not Adieu. Adieu is a Chopin waltz D:

Technically it's neither. Chopin didn't use Tristesse or Adieu when talking about it, they were added afterwards. However both are used, and of the various places I have it (sheet music, CDs etc.), half use one and half the other.

Quick Reply

Latest