The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Implant

I'm thinking about getting the nexplanon implant (the only one that has been available on the UK market since 2010). Online reading seems to suggest it isn't as bad as the old implanon implant that was previously used and things like weight gain/acne are not an issue and that it tends to make periods lighter/disappear.

Has anyone got this implant and would be willing to tell me how it fairs for them?

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've had it for about a month and a half now and had no side effects whatsoever. I also heard that it stops periods/makes them lighter, but mine have stayed the same. I suppose it's different for everybody
I just got it put in this morning, so I'll feedback in a few days and let you know how it's going. :biggrin:
It's early days, but I thought I would report back to this thread. :smile:

So far the implant has been nothing but good. Apart from my arm being a little sore I wouldn't know it was there. :biggrin: I was worried that it would be very noticeable so I'm overjoyed.

My skin has been fine - I was previously on the pill (Microgynon) which gave me spots in the first few days, so it's a positive that this hasn't occurred yet with the implant.

Weight - THE reason I changed from Microgynon to the implant. With the pill for some reason, I put on weight. This is despite being very strict with my food intake (eating disorder sufferer, so it's as controlled as it gets! :eek:) and not eating more at all. However, I got weighed today with the implant and I've not gained. :smile:

Spoiler

If you have any more questions just let me know. :h:
Nexplanon ingredients are the same as the implanon it just can be found easier in xrays as some implanons moved if they weren't inserted right. I had the implanon bled for 6 months solid and i had horrendous cramps however i have endo so it could be that. Other friends love it no periods and no babies it can go either way. Make sure you ask for local anaestetic I had mine without and wouldnt recommend it especially where i had it out was mortified that a dr would do it without. If it doesnt suit you it can be removed.
I'm thinking of getting it, but im just scared of gaining weight or getting modd swings :\
Original post by Anonymous
I'm thinking of getting it, but im just scared of gaining weight or getting modd swings :\

Well although my experience so far has been nothing but positive, I would suggest trying other methods first if you haven't already. Contraception, as you probably know already, affects everyone in different ways. You may not get mood swings with the implant, but if you do nurses/doctors often advise you to stick with it for at least 3-6 months before they consider removing it. It's a long term contraceptive in comparison to the pill or the injection which you could stop immediately if you experienced any nasty side effects.

A non-hormonal contraception method (other than barrier methods) is the Intrauterine device (IUD), which releases copper into the womb and lasts for around 5-10 years. Again, it's long term, but is inserted into the vagina by a doctor/nurse.

I'm only a girl on the internet though, you can always raise your concerns and have a conversation with your GP or a professional at a family planning clinic. :h:
Original post by briesandwich
It's early days, but I thought I would report back to this thread. :smile:

So far the implant has been nothing but good. Apart from my arm being a little sore I wouldn't know it was there. :biggrin: I was worried that it would be very noticeable so I'm overjoyed.

My skin has been fine - I was previously on the pill (Microgynon) which gave me spots in the first few days, so it's a positive that this hasn't occurred yet with the implant.

Weight - THE reason I changed from Microgynon to the implant. With the pill for some reason, I put on weight. This is despite being very strict with my food intake (eating disorder sufferer, so it's as controlled as it gets! :eek:) and not eating more at all. However, I got weighed today with the implant and I've not gained. :smile:

Spoiler

If you have any more questions just let me know. :h:

Ah, I got it in too! I hope I lose weight :biggrin: Keep us posted! x
I got this fitted last year... DON'T DO IT! Big mistake... The first month was fine, no side effects, then suddenly I got massive mood swings. I felt hopeless all of the time and cried at everything. My hair has become thinner, I get weird cravings and my periods stop for 3 months, then continue for an entire month. It is seriously not worth it. I am getting it out in two weeks.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Ah, I got it in too! I hope I lose weight :biggrin: Keep us posted! x

Implant made me gain weight =/
See if your doctor will prescribe you cerazette for a few months first. It's the same hormone, so gives a good idea of how you will react to the implant, and you can easily come off a pill if it doesn't agree with you.

Personally, I have the implanon implant, and it has been great. I love it.
I've had it for a couple of months. When I first came on it was pretty full on and very painful beforehand so after a couple of weeks I started taking the pill as well to control things. :smile:
Reply 12
I HATED it!
I had it for 8 months... first 2 or 3 months was fine.
Then after it settled in it made sex unbelievably painful. It was like having a knife cut you open. The most terrible pain i've felt. It put me off sex because of the excruciating pain. The pain lasted about 4 months every single time before I got it removed. This was because the doctors refused to let me have it removed... telling me it was nothing to do with the Nexplanon.
One doctor tried telling me I had chlamydia! She did me a test... even though I told her i new 100% i didnt have it. It came back negative of course.
Then she tries telling me it's thrush... wasn't that either. Then telling me I had ovary cysts... not that. Another attempted to convince me I had lubrication problems... not that either. Although I will add that the implant did mess me up like this, but probably only because of the pain!!! So I tried using lube, that made the pain even worse cause it was able to stab in deeper!! I had to tell me boyfriend to stop within a second of trying. Everytime. It was so bad i couldn't even try for his sake.
It gave me migraines, made me gain weight ect... took away my periods all together...
So one day I was so pissed off I went in and demanded to have it removed.
Within a day of it being removed there was an immediate improvement. No pain at all. After 4 months of terrible painful sex, it was finally pain free! I had not had any of those problems since having it removed. I am so glad I got it removed and regret getting it.
Reply 13
I had the Implanon implant and had it removed after 4 months due to it triggering clinical depression.
Original post by Mae Mobley
I had the Implanon implant and had it removed after 4 months due to it triggering clinical depression.

I think I might have got the same, or at least it amplified the environmental factors! Did you get any other symptoms? What alternative are you using?
Reply 15
Original post by lizfairy
I think I might have got the same, or at least it amplified the environmental factors! Did you get any other symptoms? What alternative are you using?
No, I didn't get any other symptoms... I had the implant removed 18 months ago and haven't been sexually active since. I'm back on Cerazette now, as I've been on anti-depressants for 18 months now. I'm hoping they won't screw my hormones over so much.
Reply 16
I had Nexplanon fitted in June of last year, just after I started having sex and I thought this would be the better way of contraception.
I was right, but the side effects haven't been great. I'm getting constant headaches, some lasting for 4 days. I've found it extremely hard to lose weight (I joined the gym just after I got the implant and found barely any progress), I've been really tired and just lacked energy ever since I got it. I get no warning for my period, whereas before I would have done, which can be annoying and ruin nice underwear! Also, it can last for a week, it'll be gone for 2-3 days, and it'll be back for another week. This was really annoying, but was very light.
I've also had a mild case of depression, whether this is due to the nexplanon or the stress I've been receiving at school and home at the moment.
I would recommend it overall, as it seems to be doing the job, despite the side effects I've been getting. Everybody gets different side effects, and I guess thats what I've been left with.
Good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lizfairy
I got this fitted last year... DON'T DO IT! Big mistake... The first month was fine, no side effects, then suddenly I got massive mood swings. I felt hopeless all of the time and cried at everything. My hair has become thinner, I get weird cravings and my periods stop for 3 months, then continue for an entire month. It is seriously not worth it. I am getting it out in two weeks.

why the hell did someone neg me for this? I just told the truth.
I've had it for 5 months now and its been brilliant. No mood swings, no weight gain (if anything I've lost weight) skins fine and I don't get periods on it either which is fantastic. I couldn't recommend it enough.
I had it but had it removed. It made my depression flare up and I had constant periods as well as nausea. Brilliant contraceptive because with those side effects and the fact it killed my sex drive I just ended up not having sex but I'm far happier without it!

I've also been left with 2 small scar on my arm from the experience, it hurt to get pout in because she was "a bit mean" with the amount of anaesthetic she used so I could feel it going in, and coming out they had to dig around which wasn't fun, but would have been a small price to pay if it'd worked as I'd hoped.

On the plus side I never forgot to take it like the pill!

Quick Reply

Latest