The Student Room Group

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I'm new here, so I hope you don't mind my post!

I'm probably not as "major" a sci-fi/fantasy geek as most of you (though I'd love to boost my status!), but I'm definitely a geek of some degree.

I'm a fan of fantasy/sci-fi books, but I'll admit that I tend to read novels of that genre that have a more "comic" twist, i.e. Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Robert Rankin, Jasper Fforde. Could anyone reccomend any really good fantasy authors?

As for TV, I'm a "Doctor Who" fan, which can be difficult to talk about when your friends mainly watch soaps.
Original post by bookloverblue
Hi,

I'm new here, so I hope you don't mind my post!

I'm probably not as "major" a sci-fi/fantasy geek as most of you (though I'd love to boost my status!), but I'm definitely a geek of some degree.

I'm a fan of fantasy/sci-fi books, but I'll admit that I tend to read novels of that genre that have a more "comic" twist, i.e. Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Robert Rankin, Jasper Fforde. Could anyone reccomend any really good fantasy authors?

As for TV, I'm a "Doctor Who" fan, which can be difficult to talk about when your friends mainly watch soaps.
You want good fantasy? No problem! You seem to have covered all the main "comic" fantasy that I've read, but in furtherance to your list I would recommend K. J. Parker's "Scavenger" Trilogy, as he writes with a very wry, cynical humour. An excellent trilogy. Furthermore, I also recommend Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" trilogy, which is also funny in a very dark and stark fashion.

If you are after intricate plot lines over-shadowed by, perhaps, the most complex and wonderful fantasy story I can think, I recommend Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time".

If you are after one of the most beautifully crafted and told stories I've read, I recommend Robin Hobb's "Farseer" and "Tawny Man" trilogies.

And, lastly, if you just want to enjoy yourself with a witty, entertaining (but extremely and distractingly easy) read, I recommend Jim Butcher's works (both the Dresden Files as well as his completed Alera Codex).

That should keep you going :p:.
Thank you for the reply - I'll be sure to check those books out!
Original post by bookloverblue
Thank you for the reply - I'll be sure to check those books out!
Let me know if you like them :smile: .
Original post by Demon_AS
Let me know if you like them :smile: .

No problem. :smile:
Reply 7145
Hey all,

Just decided to become an official geek! I can't say I'm into much hard Sci-Fi but I love fantasy, (you know the story: dragons, magic, fairytale creatures, all that epic stuff) so I hope you can recommend some favorites...?

Treat me well! :biggrin:
Original post by GeoCat
Hey all,

Just decided to become an official geek! I can't say I'm into much hard Sci-Fi but I love fantasy, (you know the story: dragons, magic, fairytale creatures, all that epic stuff) so I hope you can recommend some favorites...?

Treat me well! :biggrin:
Welcome, and of course! What have you already read? Top five or ten books/series/authors, and we'll go from there :teeth:.
*Resurrects old thread*
That's pretty impressive necromancy you just performed there, Kerr Avon.

Things have been pretty quiet on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy front for me. This entire year pretty much just holds the final installation of the Wheel of Time series for me. Dead excited for that.
That's pretty impressive necromancy you just performed there, Kerr Avon.

Things have been pretty quiet on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy front for me. This entire year pretty much just holds the final installation of the Wheel of Time series for me. Dead excited for that.

Why thank you!:adore: I have to say, I didn't get on with the Wheel of Time that well, but I can see why it's so popular. Just finished reading a sci fi short story compilation I can recommend so of the stories in it.
Link:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mammoth-Book-Best-New-Books/dp/184901373X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

I recommend 'Sultan of the Clouds' among others. Anyway, hope this group picks up again.
Original post by Kerr Avon
Why thank you!:adore: I have to say, I didn't get on with the Wheel of Time that well, but I can see why it's so popular. Just finished reading a sci fi short story compilation I can recommend so of the stories in it.
Link:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mammoth-Book-Best-New-Books/dp/184901373X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

I recommend 'Sultan of the Clouds' among others. Anyway, hope this group picks up again.
Yeah, me too.

I've kinda been a member here since its inception, so it's sad to see the place so quiet and empty.

How did you fail to enjoy WoT!? They're the most epic books ever - certainly one of the best stories I've ever read.
Yeah, me too.

I've kinda been a member here since its inception, so it's sad to see the place so quiet and empty.

How did you fail to enjoy WoT!? They're the most epic books ever - certainly one of the best stories I've ever read.

Jordan was a great writer of story, but his actual writing style is pretty tiresome, and dialogue is certainly not his strength. I got through the first four very quickly, then stalled about halfway through The Fires of Heaven, because I just got tired of it. I expect I'll pick it up again at some point.
Original post by Jace Falco
Jordan was a great writer of story, but his actual writing style is pretty tiresome, and dialogue is certainly not his strength. I got through the first four very quickly, then stalled about halfway through The Fires of Heaven, because I just got tired of it. I expect I'll pick it up again at some point.
Do :smile:. The plot is just very intricate, and you need to be patient.

You will be rewarded in the end :teeth:.
Must...keep...thread...going...come on, doesn't anyone have anything to say? How about I say something really controversial to rope everyone in.

Star Wars...is RUBBISH.:zomg:
Original post by Kerr Avon
Must...keep...thread...going...come on, doesn't anyone have anything to say? How about I say something really controversial to rope everyone in.

Star Wars...is RUBBISH.:zomg:
:laugh: It's not the lack of things to say that's the problem: it's the lack of active members.

Sadly, very few geeks are left!
:laugh: It's not the lack of things to say that's the problem: it's the lack of active members.

Sadly, very few geeks are left!

:cry: People are just too cool these days, huh?
Reply 7156
Just finished Terry Brooks' latest book. Was good, as all of his work is, though I sort of feel like he could've made it longer and not damaged it at all.

Also, read three of the Earthsea Quartet by Ursula le Guin. Good stuff, if a bit dated.
Original post by Hylean
Also, read three of the Earthsea Quartet by Ursula le Guin. Good stuff, if a bit dated.

You know there are currently six Earthsea books?

I've also only read the first three; about ten years ago in my mum's collected edition, The Earthsea Trilogy. Given that the fourth novel was published a year before I was born, that tells you something about how old that book was! I've always meant to go back and re-read them.
Original post by Hylean
Just finished Terry Brooks' latest book. Was good, as all of his work is, though I sort of feel like he could've made it longer and not damaged it at all.

I never actually got into the Shannara stuff. It all seemed a bit long-winded, but I suppose I should start at the beginning rather than in the middle lol.

Also, Ursula Le Guin = win.
Reply 7159
Original post by Jace Falco
You know there are currently six Earthsea books?

I've also only read the first three; about ten years ago in my mum's collected edition, The Earthsea Trilogy. Given that the fourth novel was published a year before I was born, that tells you something about how old that book was! I've always meant to go back and re-read them.

I do, but the first four have been published by Penguin as The Earthsea Quartet. Only got Tehanu left of them to read. Good stories, Patrick Rothfuss blatantly rips her off though, but I do prefer him.

I never actually got into the Shannara stuff. It all seemed a bit long-winded, but I suppose I should start at the beginning rather than in the middle lol.

Also, Ursula Le Guin = win.

I really love Brooks, I started in the middle, with the first of the Scions of Shannara series, but it worked for me. Was great. Been a fan since.

Just started The Wheel of Time too.

As for le Guin, she seems to be pretty damn good, given the stuff's that old. Will have to check out her more recent fantasy stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest