The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary or Royal Holloway?

Hi guys, I'm torn between Royal Holloway and Queen Mary to study Bsc Psychology.

I love the location of QM, it seems pretty more active than Royal Holloway in terms of social life and student union etc. but the thing that really puts me off Queen Mary is the fact that the Psychology course is really new! Will this put me at a disadvantage?

At RH, they have facilities like MRI scanners, EEG's etc. whereas I don't know if QM have similar equipment.

Plus, QM are strong in subjects like English, Medicine etc. and I'm worried that they don't really focus as much on the "new" psychology students, so maybe we won't have as much career/employment events and stuff for us.

Do you know or are you a QM Psychology student? What is it like studying Psychology at Queen Mary? Please, I need some advice!! Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by D0LLxo
Hi guys, I'm torn between Royal Holloway and Queen Mary to study Bsc Psychology.

I love the location of QM, it seems pretty more active than Royal Holloway in terms of social life and student union etc. but the thing that really puts me off Queen Mary is the fact that the Psychology course is really new! Will this put me at a disadvantage?

At RH, they have facilities like MRI scanners, EEG's etc. whereas I don't know if QM have similar equipment.

Plus, QM are strong in subjects like English, Medicine etc. and I'm worried that they don't really focus as much on the "new" psychology students, so maybe we won't have as much career/employment events and stuff for us.

Do you know or are you a QM Psychology student? What is it like studying Psychology at Queen Mary? Please, I need some advice!! Thanks in advance.

Talk to blush.ox on here, she does that course at QMUL :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007

I went to Royal Holloway and hated the location. Too cut off. If I had my time again I'd go for London proper rather than Surrey countryside! Everyone's different and some people loved their time at Royal Holloway but I'd go for Queen Mary myself if you can sort out the details of the course.
Reply 3
Original post by catoswyn
I went to Royal Holloway and hated the location. Too cut off. If I had my time again I'd go for London proper rather than Surrey countryside! Everyone's different and some people loved their time at Royal Holloway but I'd go for Queen Mary myself if you can sort out the details of the course.

That's what's putting me off Royal Holloway too, the area.
Are you at Royal Holloway now? How's the career services for Psychology?
Reply 4

Reply 5
Original post by D0LLxo

Original post by D0LLxo
That's what's putting me off Royal Holloway too, the area.
Are you at Royal Holloway now? How's the career services for Psychology?

No, have left. Careers service was okay but none of the university services are great to be honest. They tend to offer generic advice rather than the stuff you really need. I did English though so I don't know about Psychology as such.

My experience of Royal Holloway was negative (as I say this is not everyone's experience). It was not because of the course which was fine.

a). The college is on the top of a big hill. To reach Egham is a trek. In the deep of winter its a nightmare. Egham is essentially a commuter town and there's nothing there. The train to London is on the Waterloo line which is very slow. If you have a car then RHC is probably fine but without it then it can feel very isolated.

b). The surrounding area is expensive to rent in for the second and third years. I know London itself is too but at least there's more of a choice and you get the London weighting to help.

c). On campus night life is okay but its limited.

d). Its popular with richer students who didn't make Oxbridge but still want a quad therefore its a bit homogeneous in terms of student attitudes with a pre-ponderance of students who are conservative with both a small and large 'C'.

I came from a city to RHC and was shocked to discover the lack of services in a country area. Obviously others may want this country experience so RHC would be great for them.

Hope this helps....
I had the same dilemma and chose Royal Holloway in the end. It was the biggest mistake I made, transferred to Queen Mary in my second year and have been much happier since!
Reply 7
Original post by far away
I had the same dilemma and chose Royal Holloway in the end. It was the biggest mistake I made, transferred to Queen Mary in my second year and have been much happier since!

Hi :-) Is there any particular reason why you felt unhappy at Royal Holloway?
And was the transfer to QM easy? Thanks!
Original post by D0LLxo
Hi :-) Is there any particular reason why you felt unhappy at Royal Holloway?
And was the transfer to QM easy? Thanks!

I didn't like the people mainly.. I know it's a silly source to point at, but no.1 on this pretty much sums it up- http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=royal+holloway.

Yep the transfer was pretty simple, I had the entry requirements for QM anyway, and the first year courses I did were pretty similar to the ones done at QM, so I transferred straight into the second year :smile:.
Reply 9
Original post by far away
I didn't like the people mainly.. I know it's a silly source to point at, but no.1 on this pretty much sums it up- http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=royal+holloway.

Yep the transfer was pretty simple, I had the entry requirements for QM anyway, and the first year courses I did were pretty similar to the ones done at QM, so I transferred straight into the second year :smile:.

Did you do psychology?

And do you know if there is a Psychology society at Queen Mary?.. kinda random I know lol.

When I went Royal Holloway open day, I don't know.. I mean I didn't really "feel" anything if that makes sense lol. Don't get me wrong, the people were nice and the buildings were pretty, but I suppose I just didn't like the atmosphere. I would prefer urban, city environments with a mixture of students (international, mature etc.) who all mix, but I don't know I didn't get that vibe from RH. The only thing that really attracts me to Royal Holloway are the facilities, and it's rep for Psych. :smile:

What's the atmosphere like at Queen Mary?
Original post by D0LLxo
Did you do psychology?

And do you know if there is a Psychology society at Queen Mary?.. kinda random I know lol.

When I went Royal Holloway open day, I don't know.. I mean I didn't really "feel" anything if that makes sense lol. Don't get me wrong, the people were nice and the buildings were pretty, but I suppose I just didn't like the atmosphere. I would prefer urban, city environments with a mixture of students (international, mature etc.) who all mix, but I don't know I didn't get that vibe from RH. The only thing that really attracts me to Royal Holloway are the facilities, and it's rep for Psych. :smile:

I can't talk from my own experience but I do have some friends studying at QMUL and they absolutely love it! Though if you read the forums around here, some people dislike it. I think you should visit it and see for yourself how's the atmosphere and the surroundings. I got an offer for Economics from them and it will probably be my firm choice!
Reply 11
As a friend told me several weeks ago, they are miles apart ( I applied to both also)

Royal Holloway has a great reputation for Psychology; my friend is studying it at Oxford next year and has put RHUL as her insurance. The campus is really pretty, quite rural, and the facilities seem good. However Egham as a town isn't exactly riveting, and it seems to have a reputation for snobs. Also the social facilities seem poor, as i was told on an open day that they go to Windsor for nightlife.

Queen Mary has a good overall reputation, being part of university of London, and obviously being in the centre of the capital means social facilities are good. It excells in certain subject areas, mainly sciences but also law and English. The downside is that living costs are high in London, and also the campus appeared a little soulless when i visited.
Original post by D0LLxo

how new is the course over at queen mary?
Reply 13
Original post by catoswyn
No, have left. Careers service was okay but none of the university services are great to be honest. They tend to offer generic advice rather than the stuff you really need. I did English though so I don't know about Psychology as such.

My experience of Royal Holloway was negative (as I say this is not everyone's experience). It was not because of the course which was fine.

a). The college is on the top of a big hill. To reach Egham is a trek. In the deep of winter its a nightmare. Egham is essentially a commuter town and there's nothing there. The train to London is on the Waterloo line which is very slow. If you have a car then RHC is probably fine but without it then it can feel very isolated.

b). The surrounding area is expensive to rent in for the second and third years. I know London itself is too but at least there's more of a choice and you get the London weighting to help.

c). On campus night life is okay but its limited.

d). Its popular with richer students who didn't make Oxbridge but still want a quad therefore its a bit homogeneous in terms of student attitudes with a pre-ponderance of students who are conservative with both a small and large 'C'.

I came from a city to RHC and was shocked to discover the lack of services in a country area. Obviously others may want this country experience so RHC would be great for them.

Hope this helps....

It did help alot, thankyou!
Reply 14
Original post by internet tough guy
how new is the course over at queen mary?

I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's very recent. I heard somewhere on TSR that the course started 2009/2010? Though I am not 100% sure.
Reply 15
Original post by franchesskah
I can't talk from my own experience but I do have some friends studying at QMUL and they absolutely love it! Though if you read the forums around here, some people dislike it. I think you should visit it and see for yourself how's the atmosphere and the surroundings. I got an offer for Economics from them and it will probably be my firm choice!

Thanks, yeah I probably will visit for an open day in Feb.
Congrats on your offer btw :smile:
Original post by D0LLxo
Did you do psychology?

Nope, History and Politics. I don't know if there is a Psychology Society, but you can always check on the SU website.

Yep that's exactly how I felt.. the only time you see people walking around RH is when they're going to lectures.. It can feel very isolated. Queen Mary is completely different, there's always people around. I also feel that it's very mixed in terms of multiculturalism and internationals vs. home students, but that might just be my particular course. I honestly couldn't recommend QM more, I love it here.

Maybe visit both unis again, but not on an open day, to get a real taste of what they're both like?
Original post by D0LLxo

Just came across this post and am in the exact same position as you! Royal Holloway is better for Psychology, but genuinely the location and social life (by the sounds of it is rubbish) and they keep saying that they're in London when in actual fact they're 40mins away. QM is in London, so easy to get there.... and it seems to be such an interesting Uni, but the course is new and might not have good job prospects!!

I think once you go to Royal Holloway and Queen Mary Open Days, explore it well and ask loads of questions about the course, graduate job prospects etc.! I hope to find out by March exactly what Uni I definietly want to go to out of the two! What date is your Royal Holloway/Queen Mary Open Day booked for?
Reply 18
Hey guys,
I saw this thread and it was really interesting to read it, found loads of useful information here :smile:
I have an offer from QM for law. Since I've been rejected from my other choices (KCL, Ox, LSE), I'm thinking of either firming QM or taking a gap year and trying to reapply the next year.
Could you give me some advice about what to choose?
Thank you. :smile:
Original post by IndreOK
Hey guys,
I saw this thread and it was really interesting to read it, found loads of useful information here :smile:
I have an offer from QM for law. Since I've been rejected from my other choices (KCL, Ox, LSE), I'm thinking of either firming QM or taking a gap year and trying to reapply the next year.
Could you give me some advice about what to choose?
Thank you. :smile:

If I were you I would go for QM, it is really good rated for Law from what I've heard!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending