The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeccaCath94

Oh god!!!! I wouldnt be able to do that.....no matter how unimportant the exam was!!
But i'll forgive you for having m1 on the same day.....
I hope you do get the choc bar!! Any idea on brand?

Oh gosh yes, having M1 and D1 today was such a slog. Especially with an illness. No one told me I should take a 30cm ruler into D1, awkward.
Original post by Edwin Okli
Oh gosh yes, having M1 and D1 today was such a slog. Especially with an illness. No one told me I should take a 30cm ruler into D1, awkward.

I didnt take a 30cm ruler to D1.....why did we need one?? :/
*awkward*.... :tongue:
Aww i hope you arent too ill :frown: If i resat D1 it would be on the same day as M1 for me in june - but i'll be taking M1 for the first time so... (it'll be my one and only shot :eek: :eek: )
Offer for Maths and Physics at Warwick! :biggrin:

A real contender for my firm choice now. I'll have to wait for a decision from Imperial. The option to switch to straight Physics or Maths after the first year at Warwick looks really good. What does TSR think of Warwick for Maths/Physics?
(edited 12 years ago)
I didnt take a 30cm ruler to D1.....why did we need one?? :/
*awkward*.... :tongue:
Aww i hope you arent too ill :frown: If i resat D1 it would be on the same day as M1 for me in june - but i'll be taking M1 for the first time so... (it'll be my one and only shot :eek: :eek: )

We technically shouldn't be discussing it but it would've been convenient to have one.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Maybe choose a different insurance instead? I'm guessing you have three other solid courses to consider, at least one of which will do more QM/physics stuff than UCL.

For what it's worth, I wasn't too impressed with the London universities when I visited a few last year. It might just be me, though.

Well I have offers from Warwick and King's as well as Cam+UCL and Imperial still haven't got back to me:angry:
I wanted a top quality insurance but I didn't think it was sensible to put one that asked for STEP down so UCL seemed perfect....
Where are you putting as your insurance?
Original post by Caassaa
Hi guys! ^_^
I applied to study maths in uni (hence me writing this post here)

I have 3 out of 5 offers so far. So excited :biggrin: :colondollar: :cool:

I applied for Southampton, Nottingham, Queen Mary, Brighton and Greenwich!

I have offers from Nottingham, Queen Mary and Greenwich. :ahee:

Just awaiting the other two. Why are they taking so long? -_- :confused: and did anyone apply to the Uni's I did? ;o :banana2::bigsmile:

Now I really should continue revising for my C3 exam..

Hey! I applied to Southampton too! Don't need to worry about anything, they took FOREVER to give me a reply.. I'm sure everything will go well :smile: Is it going to be your firm?

Good luck with C3 on Monday! I, myself is gna be taking that exam too. So good luck to both of us :P
Original post by ben-smith
Well I have offers from Warwick and King's as well as Cam+UCL and Imperial still haven't got back to me:angry:
I wanted a top quality insurance but I didn't think it was sensible to put one that asked for STEP down so UCL seemed perfect....
Where are you putting as your insurance?

All of your choices are top quality so I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much. I don't know much about King's but If I've remembered it right, Imperial offers some QM stuff in the third year and Warwick starts giving you the options in the second so if QM is something you can't go without, those two are worth proper consideration despite the high offers.

It's fair to be worried about having both your firm and insurance offers dependent on STEP but it comes down to how confident you feel about it, really (judging by your posts, I personally think you'll probably be alright with insuring a STEP offer so I would consider it but you should take that with a pinch of salt). Are you taking all three STEP papers this year?

I'll be insuring Warwick; if anything, mainly for the colossal amount of options available - I don't think that anywhere else tops it in that regard. There are other aspects to consider too, though.

Oh god!!!! I wouldnt be able to do that.....no matter how unimportant the exam was!!
But i'll forgive you for having m1 on the same day.....
I hope you do get the choc bar!! Any idea on brand?

haha he said mars bar but i dont like them very much, so i've asked for a twix if i win. or maybe a snickers? it depends, really...
Original post by Edwin Okli
We technically shouldn't be discussing it but it would've been convenient to have one.

I guess it would....but i managed without...

Original post by theharrovian
haha he said mars bar but i dont like them very much, so i've asked for a twix if i win. or maybe a snickers? it depends, really...

Ooh good choice. I dont like mars bars either! Much prefer kit kats or aeros....

I guess it would....but i managed without...

I was just so conscious of how long I had spent redoing the Dijkstra's question (I figured out that I had missed out some working values when my shortest route included G...) and doing the bubble sort question (I was really hoping that it wouldn't come up). When I got to the linear programming question I thought, "I'm going to run out of time", so it didn't help when I had to spend time working out points in the middle of lines. But the critical path analysis question was quite nice this year bearing in mind the last part was a simple Gantt chart. Scheduling diagrams seem to be becoming rare and I was surprised to see no questions on critical activities this year.
Man I have D1 AND C4 retake on Monday, fml.
Not looking forward to the M3 exam next friday :/
Reply 4552
Warwick or UCL for insurance? Both for straight maths; same offer of A*AA (will find out my A2 maths grade by march, so hopefully will need two As in june).
Original post by twig
Warwick or UCL for insurance? Both for straight maths; same offer of A*AA (will find out my A2 maths grade by march, so hopefully will need two As in june).

Didn't they ask you for STEP? Or have you already got that grade for that?
Original post by twig

I'm in a similar situation. The list of modules for Warwick is epic!
Original post by officeface
Not looking forward to the M3 exam next friday :/

edexcel? haven't started papers yet :confused:
Original post by Rahul.S
edexcel? haven't started papers yet :confused:

wow snake..............ps3 later
Original post by Extricated
wow snake..............ps3 later

kool dwarg.....bring the zuggies along :cig: WOW :colone:
Original post by twig

It will be Warwick or Durham for me...didn't like UCL or Imperial, and Imperial despite the fact they said they would give me an offer ages ago still haven't updated my track which is just slack :tongue:
----------- Need Help on This--------------

You have a piece of string.
If you were asked to make a shape with the maximum possible area then would you:
1. make a square
2. make a circle
3. Cut it up and make one of both

So far, after around 2 pages pf algebra I have made little progress.
Say that the length is l.

Area of square: l^2 / 16

Area of circle: l^2 / 4pi

The circle wins as 4pi<16

If we cut it up in this ratio: l = (al/b) + [(b-a)l]/b then we have two combinations, one where the first part of the string is used to make a circle and the other is used to make a square and the other combination is where they switch, the two combos I get are:
1. [(b-a)^2l^2]/(16b^2) + (a^2l^2)/(pi4b^2)

2. (a^2l^2)/(16b^2) + [(b-a)^2l^2]/(pi4b^2)

I now need to find which of the 3 (above 2 and area of the circle one) is the biggest right ?

I have done many pages of algebra but just ending up with inequalities that I cannot solve :confused:.

Any help please :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest